Links on PSP?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

xI

Links on PSP?

Post by xI »

I've been looking for a browser for 1.5, but haven't found anything that I like. I thought about making one myself, but I doubt I'd be able to do it all. I gave up on that idea.

Then I thought about Firefox. And instantly knew that would be a failure; it would probably use too much memory.
But what about Links? Without looking at the source, I'd say it would be easier than Firefox or any other browser, because it's text-only...

Before I waste hours trying to port it unsucessfully, maybe someone who knows more about this (basically anyone) could tell me if it's even possible.
DustinFraze

Post by DustinFraze »

Perhaps. A quick glance at links dependencies shows that it *can* be linked against SDL for *some* reason.

IF that reason (and logic would dictate that it could be) was for a presentation layer, and IF the necessary bits used by links were also included by the PSP SDL implementation, then I don't see why not.

Else, I don't know. I'll take a look at it in the next few days. I'm currently writing a simple game to get adjusted to the nuances of PSP dev.
xI

Post by xI »

I think for a basic (VERY basic) text-only browser, I'd just need to use html.c, html_r.c, and html_tbl.c. I might be able to get something to display a simple HTML page. I'm guessing that would be the hardest part...
I'm going to try this, and if it doesn't work, I could always try again...
jtwald

Post by jtwald »

Don't you mean Lynx? Not Links?

And I'm pretty sure that's already been ported in some form or another, if my memory serves me correctly.
DustinFraze

Post by DustinFraze »

jtwald wrote:Don't you mean Lynx? Not Links?
No.

Lynx is a browser that is version 2.x.y

Links is a browser that is version 0.9x.y

They are two (very?) different browsers.
xI

Post by xI »

There's an Atari Lynx emulator for PSP, but no Lynx browser that I know of.

Anyway, I've been messing with it, taking out any lines that have errors, just to try to get it to make. I don't care if it works yet. Make lists so many warnings and errors it fills Konsole so much I can't scroll back to the beginning...