Noobish questions regarding PSP boot / device access

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

openfly

Noobish questions regarding PSP boot / device access

Post by openfly »

First of all, sorry for posting another noobish thread in here. Getting past that, I have a few questions, based on unverified assertations (groan now).

So knowing I have unverified assumptions, lets address those first. From my reading, I've gathered that as far as the Sony firmware goes, it in some cases does not provide APIs for accessing hardware on the PSP in a way some of us would desire. This is seen in areas such as the wifi related APIs and a desire to access raw promiscuous data, or possibly the USB interface. We know that to access this information we must consider the possibillity and probability of developing an alternative operating system / firmware for the psp. This is of course no small task. Many folks have still been unable to boot anything even test code off the PSP. So I suppose my first question to you is, what solution might you guys think of as possible in finding a way to directly access devices such as the wifi chipset from within the sony firmware? My assumption there is none. Or what solutions might you suggest in terms of maybe bootstrapping the firmware as we currently know and providing a hook to acess it from the sony api.

Thoughts opinions gripes?

We all know linux ran on the ps2. We also know the psp is almost nothing like the ps2 in terms of actual hardware, but shares similarity in the architecture. Is it possible if not at all worthwhile to even consider an attempt to port the 2.0 kernel from the ps2 since at least a chunk of the architecture code is complete? I mean I know discovery of the underlying hardware and interacting with it has been slow and painful, but I am curious what the status of this idea might be.
Viper8896

Post by Viper8896 »

if your talkin about getting linux on psp well the linux kernel is already availble for the mips just needs to have a psp boot loader
openfly

Post by openfly »

Well viper I did allude to that specific thing. However, there is a lot more to an os than being able to access the CPU. In this case we'd need kernel modules for the sony memory stick, the wifi, the display, usb, and the keypad. Plus whatever else.

=P
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

also linux wont work at all due to the missing TLB, you could run uclinux at best :)