PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

therock003

Post by therock003 »

Cause i only seem to hear you talking and developing pmpmod v2.00.I haven't seen an updated mod for the 1.02 version,and i thought that it stopped.

I've been waiting some months for that thumbnail integrated version and yet nothing.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Cause i only seem to hear you talking and developing pmpmod v2.00.I haven't seen an updated mod for the 1.02 version,and i thought that it stopped.
v2.00 works with fw 1.5 (only the ***pmp file format*** is changed, that's why i've jumped the version numbering from 1.xx to 2.xx)
I've been waiting some months for that thumbnail integrated version and yet nothing.
gui additions are not my primary object, this should be clear after so many messages here
therock003

Post by therock003 »

Oh yeah right,i just misread what you wrote."!!! THIS APP DOES NOT WORK WITH FW > 1.5 !!!" I read it like "this doesnt work with 1.5!" My bad!

As for the gui,i meant that i don't see any update on the other thread that the guys are working on.

A couple of questions:
A)I have some pmp 1.02 files,how much time does it take approximately for the remuxer per file?
B)You mention some fps gain for the sandisk msticks,well i have the 2gb hish speed sony.Does it have any noticeable fps gain?
jonny

Post by jonny »

A)I have some pmp 1.02 files,how much time does it take approximately for
the remuxer per file?
try and see (it's quite fast, there is no video/audio conversion involved in the process)
B)You mention some fps gain for the sandisk msticks,well i have the 2gb hish speed sony.Does it have any noticeable fps gain?
based on the old bench:

Code: Select all

2GB Sony High Speed Duo Pro  +0.95 fps
2GB Sony High Speed Duo Pro  +1.21 fps
2GB Sony Black               +2.93 fps
this is an average/really approximated value.
the speed gain is more for high bitrate scenes.
for example users with the fastest sandisk will probably still get 2-4 fps more on complex scenes.
(i have scenes that stutters with pmpmod1.02+sandisk and now no more stutters with pmpmod2.00+datelhdd, to give you an idea)
therock003

Post by therock003 »

Oh nice so improvement has been made on the new version,but sadly i see that the high speed ones,have the lowest gain!
therock003

Post by therock003 »

What is the latest release you've made,cause in the last pages there are so many links,that i got confused.
DigitalFoundry

Post by DigitalFoundry »

Hi Jonny,

PMP Mod just gets better and better. I'm off on a five hour flight today and have just downloaded enough video material onto my Datel HDD to last for the flight there and the flight back!

The only suggestion I can think of would be an independent volume gain control. The sound volume on various sources is never constant and it's such a pain to have to recode with a louder volume setting.

The ability to boost volume within PMP Mod would be extremely useful!
jonny

Post by jonny »

What is the latest release you've made,cause in the last pages there are so many links,that i got confused.
always grab the one in my site
The ability to boost volume within PMP Mod would be extremely useful!
volume boost is already included (use up/down keys)
(i'm taking some fun too with the datel hdd :)
digihoe

Post by digihoe »

Have anyone seen the computer version of PMP (V1.0)? http://www.cngba.com/search.php?authorid=287176

Best regards!
jonny

Post by jonny »

i've seen a binary today here:
http://forums.qj.net/showthread.php?t=49710
(a modified version)
csuper

Post by csuper »

Congrats Jonny for the v2.00 and the demuxer 1.00 ! :)

I've adopted it for a long time now and you know here in France I saw it on more & more PSP :)

I have some wihses and I really don't what's your planning for the future... :
- AVC (H264) support to replace XVID/DIVX (it's really a better video codec...)
- AAC support for the sound (same thing)
Actually the PSP manage already these codecs so is it hard (yeah I think or you'll already did it, I suppose...) to support it in a next version of PMP mod ?
Anyway, what are you planning now ... ? (is it a secret? ;)

A N Y W A Y... Great Job !

csuper.
jonny

Post by jonny »

thanks
- AVC (H264) support to replace XVID/DIVX (it's really a better video codec...)
Actually the PSP manage already these codecs so is it hard (yeah I think or you'll already did it, I suppose...) to support it in a next version of PMP mod ?
i can add avc support in 5 minutes (avc is already included in libavcodec), but atm it's too slow to be used with the psp.
there are still general optimizations and specific mpeg4asp optimization left, atm i'm working on this (some general optimizations will help the avc decoding too).
it's better to maximize the current results before going into a more complex task.
maybe someone will find a way to use the sony api to play avc (like happened with atrac3 audio), in this case things will be probably more easy.
- AAC support for the sound
this shouldn't be too difficult, but being a boring stuff to program (on the muxer side), it will be probably retarded until i have no more fun with other parts of the player :)
Anyway, what are you planning now ... ? (is it a secret? ;)
too early to talk about the next features (it's better to have something 100% working before talking about it)
i hope to finish shadow of colossus this weekend and spend less time with oblivion the next week, those are the short term plans :)
csuper

Post by csuper »

So... Happy gaming time ! ;)
Zyzzyvas

Post by Zyzzyvas »

First off I'd like to say thank you very much for such an awesome app, I have started using my PSP more and more since discovering it. :)

I am currently using Videora PMP converter to create the PMP files for viewing, but am having some problems with the lack of resolution options. I have some movies in a widescreen format that is wider then the PSP screen (2.35:1) that get stretched to the PSP's 1.78:1 format and look a little odd. Is there a way to encode these with black bars so they aren't stretched?
jonny

Post by jonny »

there is no need to include black bars, simply encode at 480x200 or 480x208
(if Videora is not able to do this, try the guide on my site)

general encoding questions are out of the scope of this thread and should be directed in better places like doom9.org, digital-digest.com, videohelp.com
(or, in this particular case, Videora forum :)
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

Zyzzyvas wrote:First off I'd like to say thank you very much for such an awesome app, I have started using my PSP more and more since discovering it. :)

I am currently using Videora PMP converter to create the PMP files for viewing, but am having some problems with the lack of resolution options. I have some movies in a widescreen format that is wider then the PSP screen (2.35:1) that get stretched to the PSP's 1.78:1 format and look a little odd. Is there a way to encode these with black bars so they aren't stretched?
I use AVItoPMP to encode all my files. If I choose to use the aspect ratio info from the original file, all my videos are viewed correctly (correct ratio) on the PSP.
Zyzzyvas

Post by Zyzzyvas »

Itaintrite wrote:I use AVItoPMP to encode all my files. If I choose to use the aspect ratio info from the original file, all my videos are viewed correctly (correct ratio) on the PSP.
Thank you! AVItoPMP works brilliantly. :)
kuroitenchi

Post by kuroitenchi »

jonny what do you think of using the atrac3 codec into the next PMP format ? It would save up cpu processing as we have the atrac3plus lib reverse engeneered that uses the ME.

It could allow people to use AVC+AT3 pmp files which would be a great improvement.
jonny

Post by jonny »

jonny what do you think of using the atrac3 codec into the next PMP format ? It would save up cpu processing as we have the atrac3plus lib reverse engeneered that uses the ME.
probably never.
afaik there is no info about the atrac3 internal format.
i need access to exact audio frames in order to mux the audio correctly.
(the format could be of course derived, but who is going to make this work?)
but the biggest problem is that will probably break my ME code.
xDarKnighTx

Problem converting xvid to pmp

Post by xDarKnighTx »

so I have this wmv video (mgs4 trailer), and i converted to an xvid avi file with no audio, and extracted the audio into an mp3 file. but everytime i run the pmp muxer, I'm getting this message:

O:/mgs/mgs4.avi:
Processing video ...

Status: [read failed on 78122646, 4 (0) ("O:/mgs/mgs4.avi")]
i converted it according to the xvid settings on the guide, but used a different program to convert it since virtualdub doesn't read wmv files, and i used belight for the mp3 conversion. can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong?
PhyerFly

Post by PhyerFly »

hey Jonny, after using PMPmod & Pimpstreamer etc., it got me thinking about methods of streaming video and I wanted to ask if you thought it possible to write a program that would interpret nullsoft .nsv streams (shoutcast tv) and put them in a playable format on the PSP.

The reason I ask is because I subscribe to a an online service that gives me 40+ channels of pre-programmed TV content that I can watch anywhere I want. It's usually one TV channel per stream, but they have a .pls file that has all of the streams listed.

Any thoughts on the feasability of this? If it's doable I might try to make that my next project.
jonny

Post by jonny »

@PhyerFly:
sincerely i have no idea about how difficult could be

@xDarKnighTx:
can you enable the maximum debug level in the muxer and send me the log file?
what program are you using to create the avi?

it seems the avi created is not 100% valid (but i need more infos to confirm this)
Last edited by jonny on Fri May 12, 2006 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Itaintrite

Re: Problem converting xvid to pmp

Post by Itaintrite »

xDarKnighTx wrote:so I have this wmv video (mgs4 trailer), and i converted to an xvid avi file with no audio, and extracted the audio into an mp3 file. but everytime i run the pmp muxer, I'm getting this message:

O:/mgs/mgs4.avi:
Processing video ...

Status: [read failed on 78122646, 4 (0) ("O:/mgs/mgs4.avi")]
i converted it according to the xvid settings on the guide, but used a different program to convert it since virtualdub doesn't read wmv files, and i used belight for the mp3 conversion. can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong?
I used AVItoPMP and it worked.
digihoe

DirectShow Filter for version 1.0

Post by digihoe »

Hi... I found that someone has released a DirectShow filter for PMP version 1.0...

http://rapidshare.de/files/20274734/pmp ... c.rar.html

Maybe someone can update it to PMP 2.0 format :-)

Best regards!
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Cool! Surprised it's not coming from Gabest ;)
Later,

Alcahest
jonny

Post by jonny »

is there a binary?
where was the splitter originally posted?
(i'm curious :)
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Here's a binary, version 1.002
http://videoff7.free.fr/PmpSplitter.rar
Later,

Alcahest
jonny

Post by jonny »

thanks, hey seems to work really well! :)
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

works fine with Zoomplayer and in graphedit but crashes WMP10, go figure ;)
Now PMP v2 support sure would be nice!
Later,

Alcahest
xDarKnighTx

Post by xDarKnighTx »

jonny wrote: can you enable the maximum debug level in the muxer and send me the log file?
what program are you using to create the avi?

it seems the avi created is not 100% valid (but i need more infos to confirm this)
here's the log file when i set the debug mode to max:

http://download.yousendit.com/41C93FAD691F5266

I checked under media player classic, and it said it is using xvid mpeg-4 codec.

EDIT: i got it to work after re-encoding it using virtualdub-mod. so my whole process was convert an wmv into xvid using some other program, then reconverting that xvid to xvid again using virtualdub-mod.