Semi Noob Question About Downgrade future

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

pctechnerd

Semi Noob Question About Downgrade future

Post by pctechnerd »

I may be wrong in this, so that's why I'm asking :) Correct me if i'm wrong, but if we can find out how, and access the PSP's test mode, we would be able to either reflash the Flash ROM or edit the info in the Flash ROM, right? I can think of 3+ devices I've had (cell phones, pdas, etc..) where thanks to others superb work i've been able to go into test mode, edit (seems, tokens, etc..) and manipulate the FW to my liking. I've even been able to change the firmware's number that's set in the flash rom to a lower value so I could update with a previous FW update.

I know these devices have little if no simularity, but I was hoping the concept is the same. If it is, and from your understanding, it is possible, shouldn't that be a somewhat high priority to figure out?

Please don't get me wrong, I have no right to try and direct others in this matter, as I have nothing to offer for assistance thanks to my ingorance in said subject matter, I was just wondering if the search has been abandoned, or if there is a constant flow of people researching and testing this.

Thank you for your time, and I hope I'm not bothering anyone. :)

Drew
Gary13579

Post by Gary13579 »

Isn't there a rule about no downgrade questions like this? If not, there should. I mean there is a rule for every other semi-legit question (sorry, cheap shot).

I gotta ask this. Doesn't flash ROM mean you can't write to it (read only memory)? How would you write to it?

The problem that prevents us from downgrading a PSP is that we have to have access to write to the flash to be able to do it. Even when we do have access to that, we can't always downgrade (look at 1.5 to 1.0).
Is it possible to open up the PSP, remove the NAND flash chip, write to it manually, and reinstall it? It's possible, but definetly not probable.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Yes, there is a rule against it.

Locked.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development