PMP VLC 0.0.9 Player

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jockyw2001

Re: Aspect ratio problem

Post by jockyw2001 »

mandros wrote:In theory it should work, so maybe I should send a bugreport to vlc developer's team. Let me know if you have the same symptoms.
Yes, I tried just 2 videos and vlc crashes each time. Cache deletion doesn't make a difference.

It's a vlc issue so I don't really care it doesn't work now, it will in the near future I hope. Best is you contact the developer of the canvas feature directly, see:
http://www.via.ecp.fr/via/ml/vlc-devel/ ... 00216.html

Rev3 will be released soon, still testing it.

mbf: afaik avc runs in user mode and it's just the me code running in kernel mode.
X-TremeClocker

Post by X-TremeClocker »

hi i got a problem ! when i try to strem the live tv pictures from my Dreambox 5620s it says: "http://192.168.0.21:1234/: Unknown format"

but the connection is correct (dreambox->pc,dreambox->acces point,accse point -> psp)

And the settings for vlc are all like the default !

Can somebody help me ? what i´m doing wrong ?

Sry for bad english i´m german

THX !!!!!!!!
puppinoo

Post by puppinoo »

Hi,
For my dm500 i have to provide a more complete string with lthis format:
http://LANIP:31339/VPID,APID,(always 0???),PMT,PCRPID, BUT its the format for my dm500. I read on some forum its a different combination for 70xx series. If im not wrong its http://LANIP:31339/0,PMT,PCRPID,VPID,APID
You can get all these data using the webif:
http://LANIP/cgi-bin/streaminfo
If u use an img like gemini u can click on the vlc button and save the .pls . if u read it with a text editor it will give u the string ready to be pasted into vlc (it just doesnt work for me in that format cos i have a dm500).
this is an example of the string I use for Sky Cinema 2 (im from Italy):
http://LANIP:31339/00a6h,01a8h,0,0457h,00a6h. Unfortunately I always had problems streaming from my dm500 and still didnt solve them (discontinuity errors with vlc after a few minutes).

P.s: On maxconsole.com a guy has just posted a video showing how to use this soft with TVU player.
http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=9917

I hope this helps.
Bye.
Pino.
Ody nOOb

Post by Ody nOOb »

Hi Jocky.

Any news ?

Any chance you'll support TV channel zaping/changing in a future release ?

Other than this, i really enjoy your app :)

PS: There's a nice tuto on how to stream live TV from TVU using your pmp vlc here: http://pspupdates.qj.net/Streaming-TV-O ... /aid/65422
X-TremeClocker

Post by X-TremeClocker »

yea i use gemini ! do i have to change the string every time i change the tv channel ?

THX
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Ody nOOb wrote:Any news ?
I'm struggling with deploying the current version of ffmpeg in an attempt to solve this damned issue we have with hw avc, where u first have to play a file before u can play the stream. If I can't solve that by the end of this week I'll switch back to the older ffmpeg and release rev3 which has improved stability (for me at least), network profile selection via d-pad, avc hw on/off selection, a nice background and icon in app and shell, and additional lines in pmp.ini for adding advanced audio and video options (e.g. crop).

Hey that's a nice tut. Will try that TVU player, seems cool.

Concerning channel zapping, of course I implemented it already for my own set-top box, but that's not a generic solution for all of us. The main problem is vlc doesn't offer a unified api for zapping channels. It would be great if it had one, then I could just send a channel zap cmd to vlc who would handle it and translate it to the right commands for the connected tuner (dvb-t, dvb-s, TVU player, etc). So I'm still looking for a generic as possible solution. Maybe we have to compromise on using a vlc wrapper such as jtvlan or remotetv, but these are windows tools and I like platform independent solutions... Another option is to fill the vlc playlist with channel information taken from pmp.ini (e.g. a url list where each url zaps the tuner to a different channel). Vlc does have an api for manipulating playlists and selecting items from them so that could be a solution.

If any of you have better ideas please let me know.
Ody nOOb

Post by Ody nOOb »

Tx Jocky for the update.

Looking forward for rev.3 or, hopefully, a new release with hw avc fully working :)

hw avc works great for me, and I can stand the fact of having to play that movie every time.
Maybe you could change that movie in next release, it's getting boring ... :p
(Just kiding ... ;) )

I now better understand why channel zapping is not yet implemented (and might never be :( ).

I even have problems changing channels in/from vlc.
So I use a third party TV app (MeuhMeuhTV) to select my channel and then launch vlc (which thankfully allways uses the last channel is selected)

Keep up the good work, and thanks again for the update.

PS: Watching NASA TV from TVU on my PSP for most of the afternoon :)
sneeze

Post by sneeze »

jockyw2001 wrote: Another option is to fill the vlc playlist with channel information taken from pmp.ini (e.g. a url list where each url zaps the tuner to a different channel). Vlc does have an api for manipulating playlists and selecting items from them so that could be a solution.
I'd vote for adding playlist manipulation to pspvlc. This way at least people with Windows and analogue (dshow) tuners can create tv playlists for vlc, and then zap between channels by jumping to next/prev entry in the playlist.

Playlists does not necessary have to be tv channels either of course, so I think it would be useful in other cases (music & movies) also.

For those who don't know, one can create playlists such as the example below that will make VLC show the TV channel specified with the "dshow-tuner-channel" parameter.

Sample tv.m3u with two channels, TV1 and TV2:

Code: Select all

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,TV1
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-vdev=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-adev=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-size=720x576
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-caching=1000
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-chroma=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-fps=25.000000
#EXTVLCOPT:no-dshow-config
#EXTVLCOPT:no-dshow-tuner
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-amtuner-mode=1
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-channel=20
dshow://
#EXTINF:-1,TV2
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-vdev=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-adev=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-size=720x576
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-caching=1000
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-chroma=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-fps=25.000000
#EXTVLCOPT:no-dshow-config
#EXTVLCOPT:no-dshow-tuner
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-amtuner-mode=1
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-channel=22
dshow://
teetow

Incompatible formats

Post by teetow »

Been lurking around this thread for the past month. Let me start off by saying I now use PMPVLC as my primary reason for recommending people to buy PSP:s. It's that good, in my opinion.

I do have one little issue, though: There are certain files (some WMV and MP4 stuff) which play fine in VLC on my PC, but become completely garbled when I try to stream them. This is kinda odd, since I though transcoding would take care of that.

Is this a PMPVLC issue, or is VLC to blame? I have no idea where to start looking for answers.
Porkape

Re: Incompatible formats

Post by Porkape »

teetow wrote:I do have one little issue, though: There are certain files (some WMV and MP4 stuff) which play fine in VLC on my PC, but become completely garbled when I try to stream them. This is kinda odd, since I though transcoding would take care of that.

Is this a PMPVLC issue, or is VLC to blame? I have no idea where to start looking for answers.
I have the same issue with some quicktime (.mov) files mostly the higher resolution of trailers downloaded from Apple's website. They play fine on the PC but when trying to play them off the memory stick or stream them they stutter and/or show the screen half chopped off. Hopefully Jocky will fix this issue in the future version/s. Its nothing major as this little app does way more than I could ask for. As an example right click and save this file .
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

@teetow, Porkape: Yes, good point.
I've noticed this myself before and it seems a problem with ffmpeg stream demuxer. Another reason to move to the latest ffmpeg code. Anyhow, I'm investigating.

About the TVUPlayer, you can of course get top notch quality if you use the avc hw decoder. The line of code to pop in vlc in the target box is:

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=800,width=360,height=272,fps=25,venc=x264{me=dia,subme=1,analyse=none,bframes=0,b-adapt=none,chroma-me=none,merange=1},acodec=mp3,ab=48,channels=2}:std{access=http,mux=ts,url=0.0.0.0:1234}
Don't forget to play a 360x272 avc encoded file from memstick before playing the live stream grr ...
monkeydog

Post by monkeydog »

Hello,
This program runs great streaming digital tv (470x272 Ogg@600 Mp3@64 25 fps).

After about ~20 minutes, the stream 'freezes' and I have to go back to the pmpvlc menu and select live stream again. Is this what is meant by a `stabilty bug` ?

I havn't got x264 working as such, i'm compiling vlc-0.8.5-r5 with --enable x264 (unix machine), Has the shipped windows binary patched ? I'm getting sound, and a coloured square at the top left of the screen. Not much of a problem though since div3 works so well.

Looking forward to future releases (mostly fix for the bug above, and auto stream type detection); real good work.
vibez

Post by vibez »

I get this error with a few movies

"main error: no suitable access module for"

They load fine in VLC, but always give me errors when streaming. Any ideas what could be causing this?
branana

Realistic performance expectation?

Post by branana »

Hey I got AVC for file playback working and all with 0.9. I was just wondering what kind of performance should I be getting?

Right now I'm testing like various stuff like tv episodes, prison break (xvid, lame). And I get video stutter every couple seconds or so, and there are some ghosting (dropped keyframes). This really shouldn't be a transcoding speed related issue (athlon64 3500+, 1GB ram, no background apps using CPU).

On the other hand, the desktop and PSP are connected through a 100Mbps/803.11G router, desktop by ethernet, and PSP about ~5 feet away from router.

Please help identify the bottleneck, the frame dropping every 5 seconds or so ruins the experience.

Very neat software btw, kudos.

Here's a sample of my ini:

# Net Io Config 
[net] 
con          = 1;    
vlc_server    = 192.168.10.11; 
vlc_port   = 8080; 

pmp_server    = 192.168.10.11; 
pmp_port   = 3333; 

debug        = 0; 

videopath1   = M:\test\; 
videopath2   = ; 
videopath3   = ; 
videopath4   = ; 
videopath5   = ; 

musicpath1   = M:\test\; 
musicpath2   = ; 
musicpath3   = ; 
musicpath4   = ; 
musicpath5   = ; 

dvd_drive   = e: 

# VLC transcoding settings 
[transcode] 
res_horiz   = 480; 
res_vert   = 272; 
use_avc_hw   = 1; 
vid_codec = DIV3; 
vid_bitrate = 600; 
vid_fps = 25; 
venc = x264{me=dia,subme=1,analyse=none,bframes=0,b-adapt=none,chroma-me=none,merange=1}; 

aud_codec = mp3; 
aud_bitrate   = 64; 
aud_channels   = 2; 
resample      = 1; 
aud_samplerate   = 44100; 

container = ogg; 

# live stream server 
[live] 
liveserver   = 192.168.10.11; 
liveport   = 1234;

Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

I think you're inputting NTSC videos (29.97 fps) but the ini is configured for PAL (25fps).
Try to change:
vid_fps = 25 to vid_fps = 30
Later,

Alcahest
mrdweeb

Also freezes after 20 min

Post by mrdweeb »

My psp crashes after watching about 20 minutes of a dvd. I've read that the problem is in either the ogg container or in audio codec. Jockey, any other options that we might try?
teetow

Feature requests

Post by teetow »

Sorry if any of these are duplicates, but I just figured I'd get them down, for those rare "hey, I feel like coding some new features!" moments. They are roughly ordered by urgency.
  • Browse subdirectories
  • Scrolling titles in browser (for looong filenames)
  • Volume boost
  • Time bar in video playback
  • Bookmark location (for long movies)
Keep up the good work, can't wait for next version =)
mrdweeb

anyone??

Post by mrdweeb »

anyone??
aface

Next release

Post by aface »

Hi jocky,
Any news on the next version of my favourite homebrew for the psp :)

thanks
a
jbit
Site Admin

Re: Next release

Post by jbit »

aface wrote:Any news on the next version of my favourite homebrew for the psp :)
Can people please not do this (in any thread)... If you're interested in the progress of something, PM or email the guy doing it, visit the website (if there is one), don't needlessly add junk to the thread.
hi2hello

Post by hi2hello »

did somebody figured out how this could work on a mac using OS X?

so far, i was just able to stream audio from VLC to my psp when streaming avideo file from my hard-disk. the video-file is not recognized (even i get a msg from PMP VLC that the aspect ratio of the video file is 0, 0 or the loading stream... msg resists although the psp receives audio from the stream).

another problem is that ogg-format as encapsule-method kills my vlc app that quits unexpectedly everytime i try to stream an ogg. every other capsule works fine for VLC (besides no video on the psp).

would be really nice to get a helping hand on that. if there is interes i can easily describe how i got audio (from a video file on my harddisk) to the PSP so far.

TIA & best regards,
hi2hello
cocco

Re: Next release

Post by cocco »

wat about makin new ini formultiple links
in stream
or live?

or it's possible to make php interface for to add some more streams,folders to vlc??
damianlewis

OSX playback

Post by damianlewis »

hi2hello,

I have it working fine from OSX, even streaming live TV from EyeTV via the CYTV app.

All under Dark Alex 2.71_SE B" custom firmware.

Instructions:

1. You need to set the VLC player prefs on your Mac as follows:

Prefs->Stream Output->Sout stream->Transcode:

Video bitrate: 384000
Video-framerate: 18
Hurry up: on
Video width: 480
Video height: 272
Audio bitrate: 48000
Audio channels: 2
Audio sample rate: 44100

You can also try the above settings except with:

Video bitrate: 256000
Video-framerate: 25
Video width: 352
Audio bitrate: 64000

2. Create a stream from VLC with File->Open File (or Open Network if using a stream coming out of CYTV)

Tick Streaming option and change the Settings to match the VLC Prefs above, e.g.:

Stream->Type: HTTP
Address: leave blank
Port: 8001 (or whatever you want)
Encapsulation Method: Ogg
Transcoding options->Video: mp4v
Audio: mp3
Video Bitrate: as per your Prefs above (drop the 000's)
Audio Bitrate: as per your Prefs above (drop the 000's)
Channels: 2

3. Click OK and the stream will start.

4. On your PSP, edit the PMP.ini in the PMPVLC folder and match all the settings to those of the stream and the VLC Prefs.

Obviously, make sure your IP address and Port are correct.

5. Launch VLCPMP, connect your wireless and Load Stream.

After a few stutters and false starts, the stream should start to play.

NOTE: With CYTV, success or failure appears to be dependent on the original stream type. Some channels are ok, others die.

In all cases, there can be stuttering and sudden loss of picture.

However, I have found that most stuff plays fine using the smaller width (although everything is squashed) and some streams are not too shabby at 480 wide.

Switching channels mid-stream usually loses the playback, but nothing fatal.

Lets hope a version of PMPVLC using newer ffmpeg fixes a lot of the issues.

Thanks to JockyW for a great bit of kit - keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Damian
damianlewis

Post by damianlewis »

hi2hello,

Forgot to mention: CHANGE use_avc_hw = 0 in the PMP.ini, or it won't work.

Also, vid_codec = OGG

Damian
Disco

Post by Disco »

Great job.

Let's try to do this with a terminal command line so we could provide a single click solution for each stream we like to watch on the PSP.

Cheers, D.
kovi4

change channel

Post by kovi4 »

Hi,

I just wanna ask if it is possible to implement for that great software some additional feature like my example

pmp.ini
These option will be as a part of pmp.ini (easily to modify) channel_up=http://ip_of_vlc_server/channel.php?up
channel_down=http://ip_of_vlc_server/channel.php?down

then this command like channel_up or channel_down will be sent after press some button up/down or wthatever else.

I have to say that I'm using this tool for long time and i'm really love it
I just setup my own server for streaming to my PSP, server is based on linux (guys I could not really understand how can someone use a windows stuff for streaming :)

Really easy howto setup channel_change is to use a playlist for vlc
(It's for linux, so maybe there exist a little difference for windows)

My source of TV is multicast mpeg2 stream, but you can setup TV tunner card. In playlist setup each channel (for me I just setup one multicast address per item) (TV tunner users can setup tv_tunner with different frequency per item)

to start vlc use this command

vlc -I http --http-host=:9002 udp://@224.0.17.101:1234 --sout "#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=500,width=360,height=272,fps=20,acodec=mp3,ab=48,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ogg,url=0.0.0.0:1234}}" &> /dev/null &

For TV tunner guys insted of udp://@224.0.17.101:1234 please use the different command like e.g. pvr:/dev/video0:norm=secam:size=720x576:frequency=576250: bitrate=3000000:maxbitrate=4000000

Then to change channel you can you http command
(using vlc 0.8.4)
http://ip_address_of_your_vlc_server:9002?control=play?item=6
(new vlc )
http://ip_address_of_your_vlc_server:9002/old/?control=play?item=6

6 means the item number of playlist (it will play the sixth item in playlist)

To control channel_up/down i wrote a short php script, which do something like -> channel_up ?control=play?item=actual_item+1
channel_down ?control=play?item=actual_item-1

It would be really nice if someone implement a feature, which will send an http command to vlc

Best regards
Lukas
Disco

Post by Disco »

btw,

I easily managed to make this work outside my LAN and have access to my stream anywhere being able to connect my PSP to a WLAN hot-spot, using DYNDNS, port forwarding for 1234 on my router and entering the DYNDNS adress instead of the IP in the ini file.

Cool stuff.
karnare

Post by karnare »

I wonder if we can use avc_get() instead of avcodec_decode_video() in function video_thread() to play mpeg4.
Thanks!
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

karnare wrote:I wonder if we can use avc_get() instead of avcodec_decode_video() in function video_thread() to play mpeg4.
Thanks!
Interesting notion. I have not reverse engineered the avc_* routines. Until Xmas I won't be able to work on this project otherwise I would give it a try. Maybe jonny knows.
karnare

Post by karnare »

to jockyw2001:
It seems that PMPVLC0.0.9 calls only avcodec_decode_video() to play AVC? Or I am not sure in what case avc_get() will be called.Could you explain it to me?
Thanks in advance.