4gb hd for psp

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Viper8896

4gb hd for psp

Post by Viper8896 »

has anyone here tried to get a normal hardrive working with the psp. ive got an old 4gb ide harddrive and i want to get it to work with memort stick slot. kinda like the datel one.
mrn

Post by mrn »

How do you plan to build the MS - IDE interface, Viper?
Do you have some documentation? Or a MS - CF description?
DrNicket

Laptop HD?

Post by DrNicket »

What about using those miniscule laptop hard drives? They're so small and light, that they would more practical. Particularly when you can get older, smaller ones a lot cheaper now.

However with a long enough cord you could carry a standard harddrive on your belt or something as long as you provide some sort of shock protection and cooling.

What do you think?

BTW, How does the Datel connect to and interface with the PSP? Edit: via the MS slot. Why can't we use this method?
Dr. Nicket
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my BOOMSTICK!"
- Ash (Bruce Campbell)
Viper8896

Post by Viper8896 »

mrn wrote:How do you plan to build the MS - IDE interface
Do you have some documentation?
thats why im asking if anyone has ever done it ;)
funetik

Post by funetik »

However with a long enough cord you could carry a standard harddrive on your belt or something as long as you provide some sort of shock protection and cooling.
lol, that'd be ghetto.

I think lik-sang tested different micro-drives with the datel thing. It still wouldn't take over 4GB though, because of the fs.

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3768

Maybe someone could reverse engineer a datel hd and come up with a hack.
I'll look into it, sounds like fun.
realityengine

Post by realityengine »

Last edited by realityengine on Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

no what you dont understand is that software isnt really the problem, hardware is.
bogphanny

Post by bogphanny »

first up - apologies for digging up an old thread.
I've just been thinking about how to get a HDD connected to the PSP, and wanted to ask (at the risk of being flamed due to lack of knowledge on the subject) whether any type of mod would be possible that involved removing the UMD drive to use the interface for attaching a HDD to. I know if it were that easy it would probably be accomplished already, however, I'm interested in finding out what obstacles would be involved if the concept is even remotely possible to begin with.
Mitsunari

Post by Mitsunari »

With my limited knowledge of psp soft/hardware... Basically, UMD drive is just another drive. It has to have some sort of dataconnection, and with proper converter connecting a hd into the place of removed UMD drive should be possible... Just not easy, as the drive is inbuilt. Also on the software side, reading should be quite easy (with correct filesystem), but writing to the disc would probably require either some modding of fw or completely independet programs to archieve. A novel concept, nevertheless.

-Mitsunari
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

UMDs are just slightly smaller than mini-DVDs. It would be cool to replace the UMD drive with a mini-DVD. :)