PSPSDK bootdisk???

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Energy

PSPSDK bootdisk???

Post by Energy »

Hey all,
I'm always runnig backwards and forwards from uni, and I usually get good coding ideas while in uni. However my sdk (on cygwin) is setup on my home machine. Is there any possible way to set up a version of cygwin on a USB drive with the devkit installed? Or heck even more impressive would be a linux bootdisc with the kit and a few tools on. I don't know, just would like something I can drag around with me.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Energy
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

You could use a virtual machine like VMWare (install Linux and the SDK). Then just carry the OS image with you and run it with VMWare Player where ether you are.

Such a downloadable OS image would also be great solution for everyone that has trouble getting the SDK installed.

Gizmo
jsharrad

Post by jsharrad »

or you could install the toolchain on something like the bootable usb drives that DSL sells, just plug it in and off you go :)

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/usb.html

I'm pretty sure just copying over your cygwin folder to a usb drive would work though if you wanted to go that way.
Energy

Post by Energy »

jsharrad wrote:or you could install the toolchain on something like the bootable usb drives that DSL sells, just plug it in and off you go :)

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/usb.html

I'm pretty sure just copying over your cygwin folder to a usb drive would work though if you wanted to go that way.
I remember trying to do that with my Dreamcast Toolchain (although I was a bit less experienced back then) and it all going to hell. The only issue that I can think of in that though is issues with environment variables. I can never get cygwin to except mine. So I normally use system variables in windows.

I like the usb stick, although I'm sure I could do one at the fraction of the cost with a bit of effort. If I had more money I probably would buy one. Damn my student ways... :)

VMware could be fun, don't know if it's a bit OTT but meh.

Originally the uni was going to allow me set a machine up there (I'm doing a degree in Games Computing), however with the machines being wiped each week and sony every now and again walking in I don't think it'll happen. lol
accepttheownage

Post by accepttheownage »

Copying the cygwin folder to your usb stick should work. I've tried this before and the only thing different was that it didn't use my original profile. Instead, it created a new one that had the same name as the current user on the machine, and started off in a different folder. It does this everytime you run it, but its not really a big deal when you only start cygwin once while you develop your programs.
jsharrad

Post by jsharrad »

Yeah if you wanted to use it on different computers where the usernames are likely different, you'd just have to make sure you set the path environment variable in the cygwin.bat file instead of your users .bashrc and put your project files somewhere that can be accessed by all users.
psx-frogger

Post by psx-frogger »

Hi all,

Take a look here,
it is a french web site,
but there is a Vmware disk which include a full sdk for psp
(debian sage and pspsdk)

http://www.psxdev.org/

root password : motdepasseroot
user password psxdev : psxdev

regards

psx-frogger
MikeDX

Post by MikeDX »

THREE GIG!

Not exactly perfect for a small usb portable drive.. however it will come in handy
MikeDX

Post by MikeDX »

things to consider about this boot image:

This uses a French AZERTY keyboard

I could not get the root pass to work due to this, so I had to reset it manually using single user from grub

Everything I tried from SVN worked perfectly, it is definitely a better option than using msys/cygwin on a windows box. One thing I will say is that it was a pain to pass files from the vm to the host o/s to actually run anything on the psp and usb wouldnt mount properly..