PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Yeah the fact that MPEG4 AVC is locked at 768kbps max on 303OE-B is the reason why i'll stick to PMP, which gives incredibly better image quality here.

Alcahest
Shonen

Post by Shonen »

madruscoe wrote:
Now I know my mistake... I didnt check for inserted battery because I though PSP cant run without it :-) I only check charger. Have to fix that ;-)

* fixed in new release http://mihd.net/rslnc4
It works great now. Thanks again!

Used these as backgrounds, by the way:

madruscoe

Post by madruscoe »

Shonen wrote:Used these as backgrounds, by the way:

Image Image
Nice, the background i have used was just a temporary solution. I will add some more professional background edited by one friend of mine in release with thumbnail support ;-)
mark235

Post by mark235 »

Well I just finished watching my first pmp file @ bitrate 1300 and boy does it look sweet :-). Big thanks to the authors for this, pmp avc is great! I did notice a subtle continuous zooming background sound when I played my file, and was wondering what the cause of it could be. I used belight 0.21 and besweet 1.5b31 to create a vbr 192 abr mp3 file straight from the dvd vob files. I used pmp_muxer_avc_tk.exe to mux the files together. The background sound can't be heard when I play the mp3 file on my pc.
specter

Post by specter »

raphael told that he would find time to work on the PMP202 malloc edition... YAYSSS!!! GOOD LUCK MATE!!!
Shonen

Post by Shonen »

mark235 wrote:Well I just finished watching my first pmp file @ bitrate 1300 and boy does it look sweet :-). Big thanks to the authors for this, pmp avc is great! I did notice a subtle continuous zooming background sound when I played my file, and was wondering what the cause of it could be. I used belight 0.21 and besweet 1.5b31 to create a vbr 192 abr mp3 file straight from the dvd vob files. I used pmp_muxer_avc_tk.exe to mux the files together. The background sound can't be heard when I play the mp3 file on my pc.
On page 49 Jpnny posted a testversion that ran at 222mhz, and which eliminated all mp3 hickups (http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/tmp/tests/pmpmod.rar). It's been deleted though.
mark235

Post by mark235 »

I tried running my own file @ 222 Mhz using raphaels subtitle version but the zooming is still there. I'm talking about a very subtle sound here, you can only here it when music and speech on a movie fall pretty much silent. But still, it's annoying when it's audible.
on a sidenote: wow, awesome battery life @ 120 Mhz... :-)
mark235

Post by mark235 »

Jonny, would you be willing to upload the build with hq mp3 enabled again to mega upload? it's no longer available...
I'd like to see if it solves my audio problem. Thanks for creating the best video tools ever!

jonny wrote:
I took some time to make intensive performance tests with avcmod and finally I came to the conclusion that there can not be any scene in any quality and size on psp (up to native resolution) that this player is not able to play 100% smooth and rock stable.
yup, i've done intensive testing too before going with 120Mhz :)

you remember this hf-noise in background ?
enabling the high quality mp3 decoder needs slightly more than 222Mhz to play 30fps content.
i can give you a build if you want.
btw, have you noticed that random pops are gone?
(finally found the problem, my ears are really not good :)

hmmm I really do not know why there should be support for higher resolutions since any movie has to be encoded again and quality won´t get better
this have to do with the color space used in the mpeg compression.
technically a bigger resolution, resized to 480x272 have more chroma details that a plain 480x272 clip

Confirmed that no need to modify the mencoder/mplayer source code
yep, exactly that i was expecting
But it won't output the .txt containing the video info if going through the mencoder route
this is ok since the file is totally unused if the input of the muxer is avi
(EDIT: looking at your script, you should create an avi with mencoder, this will free you to specify -w -h -s -r)
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

mark235 wrote:Jonny, would you be willing to upload the build with hq mp3 enabled again to mega upload? it's no longer available...
I'd like to see if it solves my audio problem. Thanks for creating the best video tools ever!

jonny wrote:
I took some time to make intensive performance tests with avcmod and finally I came to the conclusion that there can not be any scene in any quality and size on psp (up to native resolution) that this player is not able to play 100% smooth and rock stable.
yup, i've done intensive testing too before going with 120Mhz :)

you remember this hf-noise in background ?
enabling the high quality mp3 decoder needs slightly more than 222Mhz to play 30fps content.
i can give you a build if you want.
btw, have you noticed that random pops are gone?
(finally found the problem, my ears are really not good :)

hmmm I really do not know why there should be support for higher resolutions since any movie has to be encoded again and quality won´t get better
this have to do with the color space used in the mpeg compression.
technically a bigger resolution, resized to 480x272 have more chroma details that a plain 480x272 clip

Confirmed that no need to modify the mencoder/mplayer source code
yep, exactly that i was expecting
But it won't output the .txt containing the video info if going through the mencoder route
this is ok since the file is totally unused if the input of the muxer is avi
(EDIT: looking at your script, you should create an avi with mencoder, this will free you to specify -w -h -s -r)
Hi guys - not been around the thread for a while.............

Heres that HQ audio release - I forgot I had it stored over at my filefront deposit

http://files.filefront.com/PMP_MOD_AVC_ ... einfo.html

All the best

J.
mark235

Post by mark235 »

thanx man :-)
csuper

Post by csuper »

Question about PMP format for Jonny...
-- PMPmod Xvid classic ---

I've got an idea, it is the way the PMP format can be managed...
Actually you used a new container (a different one from mp4) for the video/audio parts... I've got this maybe very stupid idea : an external pmp patern file (50-60k) made by the parsing of the video and audio file on the PC that got the synch parameters between audio et video frames.
You will have on the PSP :
- pattern.file.pmp
- Video.file.avi (for example)
- AUdio.file.mp3 (for example)
or
- pattern.file.pmp
- VideoAudio-untouched.file.avi (for example)

The software will be uploading, in the EDRAM PSP memory, the pattern file then just have to read the exact location (video/audio with a multi-threading way of doing that)...

Is it stupid ?

Csuper.

Ps : not related... Jonny what do you think of the unlocked by a "famous" CW of the AVC 480... res ? ;)

(Happy new year by the way)
jonny

Post by jonny »

I've got an idea, it is the way the PMP format can be managed...
Actually you used a new container (a different one from mp4) for the video/audio parts... I've got this maybe very stupid idea : an external pmp patern file (50-60k) made by the parsing of the video and audio file on the PC that got the synch parameters between audio et video frames.
You will have on the PSP :
- pattern.file.pmp
- Video.file.avi (for example)
- AUdio.file.mp3 (for example)
or
- pattern.file.pmp
- VideoAudio-untouched.file.avi (for example)

The software will be uploading, in the EDRAM PSP memory, the pattern file then just have to read the exact location (video/audio with a multi-threading way of doing that)...

Is it stupid ?
that is equal to doing an avi player :)
and it's basically the way i would do it (moving the avi parsing on the psp and the pattern in memory)

Ps : not related... Jonny what do you think of the unlocked by a "famous" CW of the AVC 480... res ? ;)
no idea :D
a friend have my psp atm, i was not able to test it (but i was reading there are some bitrates limitations ... so ... :)

happy new year to you too!
cooleyes

Post by cooleyes »

to jonny:

can you make a new pmpmuxer, mux a avi(x264) and a aac into a pmp-avc?
csuper

Post by csuper »

cooleyes wrote:to jonny:

It is not a question related to the muxer but to the player... : actually, PMPMODAVC only support mp3 44,1 Khz (CBR/VBR/ABR) audio files... not AAC.

But because AAC is already supported by the PSP - anything is possible... ;)

csuper.
mark235

Post by mark235 »

I figured that this thread was mostly for discussing pmp avc features and changes and not so much for error reports, so I posted this question in a separate thread a couple days ago. didn't get much response yet. does anyone know what I can do to solve this:

25 fps material doesn't give any problems. 29,97 fps material does though. x264.exe gives me the following error message when reaching 100%:

http://www.megaupload.com/en/?d=3L14SBJ6

I can still mux the .264 file with an audio source at this point and all seems to turn out ok, but when I play the pmp file with pmp avc 1.02 I have a green flickering bar at the left of my screen about 25 pixels wide.

I use similar scripts for 25 fps and 29.97 fps material (of course with adjusted cropping and d2v files for each source). this is it:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\DVD2AVI_NIC\System\DGDecode.DLL")
MPEG2Source("D:\backup.d2v")
Crop(92,64,-92,-62)
Lanczos4resize(480, 272)
Sharpen(0.4)
Tweak(sat=1.3, bright=15, cont=1.0)
ConvertToYV12()

the command line that I use with x264.exe is:
x264 --bitrate 1100 -A all --level 3 --pictiming --aud --no-psnr --thread-input --progress --output movie.264 movie.avs
Alucard77

Post by Alucard77 »

I was just curious, is there a PMPMod v2.02 that supports restore. I have been using Malocs PMPMod 2.0 and got spoiled. All of the 2.02 Mods I have seen don't have resume.

I have also done a search for this and came to no answer. Any help would be appreciated.
cooleyes

Post by cooleyes »

csuper wrote:
cooleyes wrote:to jonny:

It is not a question related to the muxer but to the player... : actually, PMPMODAVC only support mp3 44,1 Khz (CBR/VBR/ABR) audio files... not AAC.

But because AAC is already supported by the PSP - anything is possible... ;)

csuper.
to csuper:

because jonny haven't more free time to make "pmpavc mod" support x264+aac.
so I just want to get a pmpavc sample(x264+aac), I want to make a new "pmpavc mod" to support x264+mp3 and x264+aac
csuper

Post by csuper »

cooleyes wrote: because jonny haven't more free time to make "pmpavc mod" support x264+aac.
so I just want to get a pmpavc sample(x264+aac), I want to make a new "pmpavc mod" to support x264+mp3 and x264+aac
Oh ok... I didn't undertood that...
Good Luck with your dev'.

csuper.
-----------
Now using PMP Mod 1.02 with some nice FPS gain with my slow SONY MS...
Thanx Jonny ! & Malloc ! & Raphael !
specter

Post by specter »

Alucard77 wrote:I was just curious, is there a PMPMod v2.02 that supports restore. I have been using Malocs PMPMod 2.0 and got spoiled. All of the 2.02 Mods I have seen don't have resume.

I have also done a search for this and came to no answer. Any help would be appreciated.
PMPMod 202 which supports restore should be the malloc edition but was not continued in work due to jonny lack of time. I do pray that he'll have some time to work on it as I too am waiting for it for months now :( GO JONNY~! haha

btw, why are ppl using avc? in know the bitrate is better and uses less processing power to save batt, but the conversion takes AGES! and i mean AGES!!!!

hope work on PMPMOD 202 malloc would get on its way
cheers
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Just to let you know: I did some further tries to get 202M working, starting from a scratch 202 version. For some reason, it always starts to crash on playback when I insert the resume file code, though the same code works in the AVC version and it even crashes when I don't use a resume file at all. It really makes my head hurt and I don't know what to do about it apart from removing the resume file functionality :(
Will take a lot of time and nerves to debug that line per line.
<Don't push the river, it flows.>
http://wordpress.fx-world.org - my devblog
http://wiki.fx-world.org - VFPU documentation wiki

Alexander Berl
specter

Post by specter »

Raphael wrote:Just to let you know: I did some further tries to get 202M working, starting from a scratch 202 version. For some reason, it always starts to crash on playback when I insert the resume file code, though the same code works in the AVC version and it even crashes when I don't use a resume file at all. It really makes my head hurt and I don't know what to do about it apart from removing the resume file functionality :(
Will take a lot of time and nerves to debug that line per line.
works on its way... you rox raphael!
ColinZeal

Post by ColinZeal »

specter wrote:btw, why are ppl using avc? in know the bitrate is better and uses less processing power to save batt, but the conversion takes AGES! and i mean AGES!!!!
Yeah, but it´s worth it.
I get 9h45min of battery time with my PSP when watching stuff at work. (lot´s of leisure time at a movie theater)

I´ve been using the 1.02M-I for a while now and here are my thoughts on enhancements (it´s almost perfect):

1) Too easy to change MHz-settings with L and R without knowing about it.
Solution = Change to a combo for next version.
X + R or X + L or something else for speed setting.

2) Takes a while to scroll if you (like me) have lots of episodes on the memory stick.
Solution = Analog should be a faster scroller. normal down and up could be constant but analog should atleast accelerate.

3) The videofolder gets cluttered with lots of files after a while.
Solution = Maybe PNGs and .pos could be placed in a subfolder?

4) All the episodes in a same folder makes it a bit non user friendly to scroll thru everything.
Solution = Is there a possibility of creating a subfolder structure? The user creates a folder within x:/PSP/VIDEO/ and he could go in there to start a movieclip?

All in all, GREAT program.
Keep up the good work! Madrusco, get to work!
;)
madruscoe

Post by madruscoe »

@ColinZeal
1. so many functions and so little buttons :-) i dont think it is so necessary but I will try something
2. good idea. maybe I add: press UP when first video in the filelist is selected and the focus (selected video) will be now on the last bottom video. (I hope you know what I mean. :-) Its hard to translate that)
3. subfolder... it is possible...
4. this one is already on my list, I have started and its in progress but it wont be so easy
ColinZeal

Post by ColinZeal »

1) I´d say changing the MHz is way too easy without noticing it. It just needs a tap on the shoulder buttons which could happen just when moving the PSP. And it could kill the battery time. If there was one feature that i´d change, it would be this.

2) Looping, yes, get it. It helps but it´s still slow to scroll thru the files. And the 8GB memory sticks are getting cheaper. ;)

4) It was inevitable that you hadn´t had one of these ideas already. I´m glad you did!

Again, great work. Thanks again Madrusco!
====
x264, save AR, Const.Qual, Q28, Use Sharp, SubQ 3, Use BeSweet bitrate 80 = Size/Qual Nirvana for me.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I didn't think about that really when I implemented the CPU speed change function :) I always keep my fingers away from the shoulder buttons unless I need them. But well, that could be changed easily if a free button combination is available.

The scrolling speed can be adjusted to some extent by changing the update_delay values to something lower within the scroll button press events.

Supporting subfolders in the video list would be possible rather easily. You'd need to patch the opendir.c file to not remove directory entries as well as the ".." (go to parent directory). Then inside the pmpmod.c main file, when X/O is pressed and the item selected is a dir/.. (needs a function to check that - there's one inside the opendir function) instead of trying to play that file do a chdir and update the filelist.

If you have problems with that madruscoe, just let me know. I'm too busy atm to do it myself :/
<Don't push the river, it flows.>
http://wordpress.fx-world.org - my devblog
http://wiki.fx-world.org - VFPU documentation wiki

Alexander Berl
madruscoe

Post by madruscoe »

@Raphael
I am a bit busy too but as I will have some time I will continue with the directory support. I use the same steps you have written and if I fail I let you know :-)
ColinZeal

Post by ColinZeal »

But well, that could be changed easily if a free button combination is available.
Fantastic. Is it impossible to use a combination of three buttons maybe?

Is anyone running the program at higher speeds than the default of 120MHz?
What requires that speed? Higher bitrate or what? Anyone?
====
x264, save AR, Const.Qual, Q28, Use Sharp, SubQ 3, Use BeSweet bitrate 80 = Size/Qual Nirvana for me.
madruscoe

Post by madruscoe »

the best combo seems to me this: hold R trigger and press L to change the cpu speed (loop)
shahzadmasih

Post by shahzadmasih »

Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
madruscoe

Post by madruscoe »

@ColinZeal
1. done. hold R trigger and press L
2. hope it scrolls now faster
3. because of the directory support, one folder for .pos and .png files could contain duplicit files...
4. done. now you can browse the whole ms0:

(v1.02M-K, rar, 1.1 MB)
http://rapidshare.com/files/17936859/pm ... -K_sub.rar or http://mihd.net/d1i75m or http://www.filefactory.com/file/a33eab/.
;-)