TLB question

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

gbj1

TLB question

Post by gbj1 »

I feel I'm a noob in MIPS again. I'm doing some reading on its instruction set. I'm wondering if we use these instructions, how will the chip act, error 'FEATURE_NOT_AVAILABLE' ?

TLBR Read Indexed TLB Entry
TLBWI Write Indexed TLB Entry
TLBWR Write Random TLB Entry
TLBP Probe TLB for Matching Entry
hlide

Re: TLB question

Post by hlide »

gbj1 wrote:I feel I'm a noob in MIPS again. I'm doing some reading on its instruction set. I'm wondering if we use these instructions, how will the chip act, error 'FEATURE_NOT_AVAILABLE' ?

TLBR Read Indexed TLB Entry
TLBWI Write Indexed TLB Entry
TLBWR Write Random TLB Entry
TLBP Probe TLB for Matching Entry
First, Allegrex uses a FM MMU (that is a Fixed Mapping Memory Manager Unit) instead of a TLB MMU. Worse, Allegrex doesn't seem to provide a TLB MMU since COP0 registers don't even answer anything when interrogating the TLB-relative registers. I don't try the TLB-relative instructions but i'm quite sure they would raise a Reserved Instruction exception as it would be with trap instructions which are not implemented into Allegrex.

So just forget them.
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

I have heard a sort of memory management unit called 'MPU' (memory protection unit). Allegrex seems to have such a unit to protect its kernel memory.

Sony devs had their unlimited wisdom guided to choose such a chip on their portable game console.
hlide

Post by hlide »

gbj1 wrote:I have heard a sort of memory management unit called 'MPU' (memory protection unit). Allegrex seems to have such a unit to protect its kernel memory.

Sony devs had their unlimited wisdom guided to choose such a chip on their portable game console.
if you are refering to the ability for protecting the read/write access right to kernel/user code, that is not because of MIPS cpu had this but rather because of a BCU (Bus Control Unit), the registers of which are mapped in memory allegrex (0xBC2000xx if i'm not wrong). You may call it a MPU but it is not its solely function.

I'm not against the fact that Sony drops the TLB management since it would rather slow games down (standard MIPS uses a software TLB management, not a hardware one like ix86).

And Sony never uses the TLB available on PSX for their games too for the same reason.
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

It also limits the ability to port other operating system other than their own firmware. They made a nice deal with performance and capability.