What can I do with official firmware?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Vip3r

What can I do with official firmware?

Post by Vip3r »

I don't know much about any of this so this might sound stupid. I have a PSP with 3.4 installed and I was wondering if it was possible to make old GBC/GBA games work without installing homebrew?
harleyg

Post by harleyg »

No.
Soundfx4

Post by Soundfx4 »

Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do with the 3.4 firmware and afaik there is no way to downgrade 3.4 yet :( The only thing you can do is wait for someone to figure out a way to downgrade 3.4 and in the meantime, whatever you do, do not update to future official firmwares if you ever want to use any homebrew.

Sticking it to the man is becoming harder and harder. From what I've heard sony even has a PSP with a different mainboard that won't let you downgrade no matter what firmware you are downgrading from. I haven't looked into this at all though, so I don't know how to tell you to check.

Sorry for the bad news :\
Last edited by Soundfx4 on Mon May 07, 2007 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
harleyg

Post by harleyg »

I was answering his question of playing old GBC/GBA games without homebrew.
Soundfx4

Post by Soundfx4 »

harleyg wrote:I was answering his question of playing old GBC/GBA games without homebrew.
Yeah I know :) sorry about that, something like that could just be taken the wrong way is all. I mean, just a no is kind of rude imo. I know you weren't trying to be rude though.

I took the comment I made out, I really shouldn't have put it there in the first place.

And btw, someone has to do something about the stupid counter that doesn't let you post except every 30 seconds or whatever the time is. I don't see how that isn't getting on anyone else's nerves as it certainly is getting on mine. And example of how that thing gets in my way:

Post number 1: Just made a reply to someone with a quote
Post number 2: Went back to an old post to edit and remove something
Post number 3: Came back to the original post to edit it and add something.

Sometimes it doesn't matter because it takes long enough to edit or change that the time limit is up already, but for quick edits it's very annoying. Why not shorten the time limit? Flooding is even difficult if you have no time limit. Just throwing it out there, maybe an admin will consider my suggestion. Thanks for reading.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

This is a developer site, so many posts will seem rude... most are not meant to be rude, it's just that developers don't sit around complimenting each other and explaining every last detail. On this site, you are expected to have a certain minimum level of competence in programming as well as the realization that people here are normally going to be abrupt in answering questions. If you ask a Yes/No question, expect a yes or a no and nothing else.
weltall

Post by weltall »

J.F. wrote:This is a developer site, so many posts will seem rude... most are not meant to be rude, it's just that developers don't sit around complimenting each other and explaining every last detail. On this site, you are expected to have a certain minimum level of competence in programming as well as the realization that people here are normally going to be abrupt in answering questions. If you ask a Yes/No question, expect a yes or a no and nothing else.
imho the biggest problem about that is the edit function. it's considered a new post when you edit a post and you will have to wait the specified time. this could be annoying if you find some mistake when you have posted because you will need to wait to fix it up :)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

weltall wrote:
J.F. wrote:This is a developer site, so many posts will seem rude... most are not meant to be rude, it's just that developers don't sit around complimenting each other and explaining every last detail. On this site, you are expected to have a certain minimum level of competence in programming as well as the realization that people here are normally going to be abrupt in answering questions. If you ask a Yes/No question, expect a yes or a no and nothing else.
imho the biggest problem about that is the edit function. it's considered a new post when you edit a post and you will have to wait the specified time. this could be annoying if you find some mistake when you have posted because you will need to wait to fix it up :)
Me too... I've done that on occasion. Maybe they can change the forum code so that after you have X number of posts, some restrictions are lifted. The time between posts limits is for spam prevention... but the rest of us have to put up with it too. :(
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

weltall wrote:
Definitely agreed, the wait time for editing a post is VERY annoying.