dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

crazyc

Re: Wolf3d and raptor working great

Post by crazyc »

fourmyfriends wrote:any comments on a scrolling letter chooser, it's not a keyboard, but would be awful convenient for entering dos commands, you know like in old arcade games where you used up and down to change characters, and left right to change the cursor position?
Use a shell, or just map a key to tab and press it to cycle through the files in the current directory.
fourmyfriends wrote:Also any chance of a dosbox firmware? or is that technically ridiculous (I don't code, not sure about the realistic logic of that one)
Don't hold your breath for this one.
Wally

Post by Wally »

you could also check
www.dosgames.com
www.dosgamesarchive.com or
www.dosgamesonline.com

freeware /shareware games
fourmyfriends

on screen keyboard

Post by fourmyfriends »

found a nice little trial program that I have been playing with that puts a virtual keyboard on the screen, and it seems to function great, it is interactive with the mouse feature, however, I'm not sure how to map a left mouse click to select a letter, anyone have any ideas?
I am using NO-KEYS FOR DOS V1.6, seems to work well but I need to click :(

NM, i found the previous post about the buttons being mapped to the triggers, it seems to be a problem with the program recognizing the key, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

New patch and binary fixes the input issues that are causing problems with dos navigator (hopefully for good) and adds support for the full x86 address space so windows enhanced mode works.
evilnod911

Post by evilnod911 »

sorry, post too long and i didn't read em all.
how do i make my own dosbox psp??

or is there anyone create package like this??

autoexec.bat for auto mount to game folder + auto launch of norton commander.

i have it config in my pc dosbox.. but not sure how to make psp one.

thanks

btw, does mouse work?? i got tons of old serria game i didn't finish :)
Wally

Post by Wally »

is it me or does dosbox keep crashing -_-..

Am I the only one on 3.52M33 here?
fourmyfriends

it crashes on me to are you using IR Shell?

Post by fourmyfriends »

Using 3.52 M33, with IRshell, have tried disabling the IRshell load, and hard reseting the homebrew. I have tried it under IRshell 3.52, 1.5, and File Assist

it wont load properly when i try to load it in File Assist, the .conf doesn't run, but the program loads, IR Shell 1.5 seems to load it just fine, with the .conf file correctly, and runs pretty well, but there seems to be no exiting without a crash (that seems to include like exiting to dos from a game, as well as hitting HOME in the middle of the game. IR Shell 3.52 wont load it at all for me.
It's been a minor anoyance that just hadn't realy thought to mention, until you said something.
Let me know if this is the same for you, or if you have a different problem.
Wally

Post by Wally »

:)

Exactly my problem, thank god I almost exploded.

Another thing, everytime i load a game / application with PSPLink it crashes.
fourmyfriends

I guess thats why

Post by fourmyfriends »

I guess that could explain the problem I am having get mouse clicks to work. the trigger works but only if you press another button first, but this adds an extra input everytime it try to click with the mouse. I guess it must be a M33 issue
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

evilnod911 wrote:sorry, post too long and i didn't read em all.
how do i make my own dosbox psp??

or is there anyone create package like this??
Go here, and click on the link LINKS underneath the words "Mi EBOOTED 1.5/1.0", if you don't know what to do from here just ask.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Wally4000 wrote:is it me or does dosbox keep crashing -_-..

Am I the only one on 3.52M33 here?
I'm using 3.03OE and having no problems so it's possible M33 is the problem. Although I've only been running from PSPlink, perhaps I should test it from the XMB.
therock003

Post by therock003 »

Guys,dows this mean i can now play Little Big Adventure 2 on psp?

It's an old PC game,with setup,but it didn't run on new versions of windowsm,and in order to play it you needed to emulate it via dosbox.

How shall i install it for the psp though?
jason alicat

Post by jason alicat »

crazyc, is dosbox 0.71 a proof of concept application at the moment? Is it to early discuss beta testing issues other than the apps stability? If so, I apologize. I have noticed the difference immediately with some games, however the button mapped keys tend to be a bit unresponsive at times. Playing 4D Boxing is a good example of what I'm talking about.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

jason alicat wrote:crazyc, is dosbox 0.71 a proof of concept application at the moment? Is it to early discuss beta testing issues other than the apps stability? If so, I apologize. I have noticed the difference immediately with some games, however the button mapped keys tend to be a bit unresponsive at times. Playing 4D Boxing is a good example of what I'm talking about.
Is this with the most recent binary? I've made some changes to the input code.
jason alicat

Post by jason alicat »

Sorry, I have not tried the latest build. I'll check it out now. Regardless, great work. I consider your emulator to be the one of the best and most underrated emulators around.
Wally

Post by Wally »

i'll give 3.40 OE a shot,

Thanks
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

is there any chance geting win 3.1 working? runing it in with win crashes dosbox runing it like this: win /s thows me back into free dos with this error: cant read user.exe (this same install works on my pc in dosbox 7.1).
sorry for spelling!
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

IM back! wrote:win /s thows me back into free dos
FreeDOS? Are you running from a bootable disk image? That should work but it would be better, at least worked for me, to run it from the dosbox shell. You probably have to use a disk image for at least windows itself though otherwise you'll running into the memory stick open files problem (i don't for sure though because I run it though usbhostfs for testing).
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

Whenever I press either triangle (rshift), square (space), cross (ralt), circle (rctrl) and then a directional button with this in my dosbox.conf:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
@ECHO OFF
INPUTMAP up up
INPUTMAP right right
INPUTMAP down down
INPUTMAP left left
INPUTMAP triangle rshift
INPUTMAP square space
INPUTMAP cross ralt
INPUTMAP circle rctrl
INPUTMAP start enter
INPUTMAP select esc
SYSOPT clock 333
mount c: ms0:/dos/
c:
dosshell.exe

and it makes that direction go on autofire and doesn't stop until I press the button again, what am I doing wrong?

And why won't it let me press a direction and then the jump button?
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

crazyc wrote: FreeDOS? Are you running from a bootable disk image? That should work but it would be better, at least worked for me, to run it from the dosbox shell. You probably have to use a disk image for at least windows itself though otherwise you'll running into the memory stick open files problem.
sorry i was runing it from the dosbox shell. disk images? i didnt know dosbox supported them, what format are they? iso, qemu, bochs? is there a utility for the pc that makes them?

EDIT: there iso. but i dont know how to make a empty iso, can someone post a link to a free utility that can make isos. or a 15 mb fat formated iso?

EDIT2: i got it to work. i used magic iso to create a iso with windows on it and started it from the dosbox shell, it boots up fine but the mause dosnt work (i know its not frozen becaus it continus loding icons and such).
sorry for spelling!
Wally

Post by Wally »

the mouse doesnt work on dosbox .71 for your computer anyway. I think drivers are needed.
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

Wally4000 wrote:the mouse doesnt work on dosbox .71 for your computer anyway. I think drivers are needed.
your right i tried it on my pc, but I can’t find any thing about it on the dosbox forums. Dose any one know what driver is needed?
sorry for spelling!
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

IM back! wrote:your right i tried it on my pc, but I can’t find any thing about it on the dosbox forums. Dose any one know what driver is needed?
No driver needed. I had the same problem but fixed with the newest posted build. Make sure you are using it. I'll have to put a timestamp in the builds like with 0.60.
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

i might want to start a new thred on this.

i downloaded the new build and now the mouse dosnt work and windows fails to lode the program groops.
sorry for spelling!
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

IM back! wrote:i might want to start a new thred on this.
Let's keep it in this thread, don't want to clutter the forum.
IM back! wrote:i downloaded the new build and now the mouse dosnt work
I just tried it in standard and enhanced mode and mouse works in both
IM back! wrote:and windows fails to lode the program groops.
Make sure the drive letter of the mount with windows on it is the same as the one that it was originally installed to. I other words if you installed it to a disk mounted to C:\ the disk it's running from must also be C:\.
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

i booted windows in enhanced mode and the mouse worked.
sorry for spelling!
andwhyisit

Re: on screen keyboard

Post by andwhyisit »

fourmyfriends wrote:found a nice little trial program that I have been playing with that puts a virtual keyboard on the screen, and it seems to function great, it is interactive with the mouse feature, however, I'm not sure how to map a left mouse click to select a letter, anyone have any ideas?
I am using NO-KEYS FOR DOS V1.6, seems to work well but I need to click :(

NM, i found the previous post about the buttons being mapped to the triggers, it seems to be a problem with the program recognizing the key, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know
Have you got this working yet?
fourmyfriends

still working on it

Post by fourmyfriends »

still working on getting no keys working, switching my firmware tonight to 3.4OE to see if that fixes my problem.
My biggest issue is that I want to edit batch files, and my config file on the go, and the keyboard scheme is so tedious, no keys is a much easier on screen keyboard for dos,
I'll switch my firmware tonight, and then see if it works
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
switched to 3.4 OE, dos box runs just fine, still cannot get nokeys to recognize a left mouse click, does anybody know what the key would be called if I wanted to assign the left mouse click to a different button?
INPUTMAP cross lmumb
?
something like that?
i tried that one and it didn't seem to work, do I have the command right? is it available in the code?
Is the program NOKEYS just twacked out?
Any Ideas
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crazy, if I wanted to see dosbox just as you do, what firmware should I have, and what program should I use to launch (please give me versions)
I can see what potential it has, but just cannot seem to get the configuration just right. I want to run my psp the same way you do because obviously when you test your own code, you test it on your parameters, and thus design it in a way that it seems to function best on some firmwares, better than others
also could motherboard versions have an effect on the performance?
crazyc

Re: still working on it

Post by crazyc »

fourmyfriends wrote:switched to 3.4 OE, dos box runs just fine, still cannot get nokeys to recognize a left mouse click,
Got a link, I'll look at it.
fourmyfriends wrote:does anybody know what the key would be called if I wanted to assign the left mouse click to a different button?
INPUTMAP cross lmumb
INPUTMAP cross button1
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

there is a problem with disk images in dosbox psp because if i lode windows 3.1 from a iso (cd image) it boots fine (in about 30 seconds @ 333mhz) on the psp and pc, but if i boot it of a hard disk image (.img) it hangs at the windows 3.1 logo on the psp and boots normally on the pc.
sorry for spelling!