dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

scatola

Post by scatola »

I can't understand why downloading the new version, i get the same error, now dosbox (EBOOT.PBP) is 1.20mb, and don't work. Using the older EBOOT, works.
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

aaah, it works well. i can play Jazz Jackrabbit without any key problems. big thanks CrazyC for that update.

I compiled the latest binary to an eboot.pbp. You can get it from http://www.emunews24.de/dosemus.html#sony%20psp257
narrus

Post by narrus »

Tested out Tyrian yesterday and got through the first level without much issue. It did slow a couple times while under heavy graphic loads. Probably will want to edit a batch for it so you can save as something other than <tab>.

Also tested Raptor and it stated though I didn't actually try past the login as I didn't change the config nor did I remember the combo to drop back into keyboard mode.

Did manage to get Privateer to load and got to the main menu but it keeps bombing out when I try to start the game. I'll get the real error later, as my guess is it's a config file error on my part. Just not sure what to change.

Tested Duke Nukem and keep getting a "not enough memory error". I don't expect the game to run well, but thought I'd try. I know the PSP is limited on memory but I also recall getting to the menu once before when runn .60 (though it took maybe 5 minutes to get there). Can I up the memsize? (Course I could just try this but I left the psp at home today).
scatola

Post by scatola »

THANKS WORKS!!!!!!!, ATIMIC, YOUR SITE IS COOL!
Last edited by scatola on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
AB10784

controlling dosbox

Post by AB10784 »

Ok ive seen the picture that has the keymaps so ic an type and work dosbox fine but I have some difficulty in games, like skyroads for intance.
arrows to move and space to jump. I just realised about p-sprint mode, and I have 2 questionsif they are answered already please post a link.
while im in p-sprint i dont need to press the arows twice to get a responce correct?
what are all the button mappings in all the different controll methods and how do I access them?
pictures would be great then I can just save them on my psp and go look at them when i forget or get confused.
*EDIT* I was having issues with the two buttons being pressed but I will try the link for the newest eboot on this page, also found the link to the page that tells all about p-sprint*EDIT*
THanks for the great program crazyC
Last edited by AB10784 on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sterist

Post by Sterist »

when booting major stryker (the game i mentioned a few posts ago, on page 12) it says the soundblaster is "not detected" and i have it enabled in the settings. and when using dos navigator to launch it, the navigator automatically runs the EXE roughly 10-15seconds after quitting the app. and the speakers have an occasional "pop" and "crackle" like an old record player, though there should be no sound.
Wally

Post by Wally »

u need to set it up in the setup.exe file

Settings for dosbox: SoundBlaster Pro

A = 220
IRQ == 7
DMA = 1
H = 5

that should fix it for you
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Sterist wrote: the speakers have an occasional "pop" and "crackle" like an old record player, though there should be no sound.
This is something I'm looking at.
Settings for dosbox: SoundBlaster Pro

A = 220
IRQ == 7
DMA = 1
H = 5
H is unnecessary unless you set it to Soundblaster 16.
Tyro

Post by Tyro »

Alright, World of Xeen works like a charm with the latest binary, but "Daggerfall" doesn't even launch for me. DOSBox freezes when I try to fire it up. Tried disabling sound, removed the videos, but that didn't do anything, so the problem must be somewhere else. Is the game too demanding to launch at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Alright, nvm, memsize 4 won't launch that game in this life. :D
ldaneels

Post by ldaneels »

[quote="Tyro"]Alright, World of Xeen works like a charm with the latest binary

@Tyro: do you mean that Might & Magic works perfectly with no mouse stutters in-game ? I tried it with previous builds & the game was mostly unplayable because of this. The Might & Magic series is pretty much the biggest draw for me (along with Ultima & Wizardry). Thanks,

Loic
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Thx CrazyC, this emulator worx pretty well with games requireing no more than 30 MHz :D

Is there any possibility to optimize it further, so it is possible to play games which need more MHz, like 66 MHz?

That'd be great!

Oh, and another thing: U set the Memory for DosBox to 5. Is there no more mem available on the PSP? Or is this just randomly set, so I can set a higher number?

Thx in advance for a reply! Please keep up ur good work!
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Murdock wrote:Oh, and another thing: U set the Memory for DosBox to 5. Is there no more mem available on the PSP?
The current hard limit is 10MB. I use 8 most of the time.
Is there any possibility to optimize it further, so it is possible to play games which need more MHz, like 66 MHz
There's room for improvement, but doubling of performance is unlikely.
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

crazyc, have you tried runing win3.1 of a hard disk image? i tryed win 95 and it worked, so there isnt any thing wrong with my images (good thing i never throw away my old windows cds :))
Last edited by IM back! on Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
sorry for spelling!
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

IM back! wrote: the max. is 8mb
thank you very much :D
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

IM back! wrote:crazyc, have you tried runing win3.1 of a hard disk image? i tryed win 95 and it worked, so there isnt any thing wrong with my images (good thing i never throw away my old windows cds :))
Not yet, I'll get to it when I can.
Tyro

Post by Tyro »

ldaneels wrote:
Tyro wrote:Alright, World of Xeen works like a charm with the latest binary

@Tyro: do you mean that Might & Magic works perfectly with no mouse stutters in-game ? I tried it with previous builds & the game was mostly unplayable because of this. The Might & Magic series is pretty much the biggest draw for me (along with Ultima & Wizardry). Thanks,

Loic
First of all, Crusaders of the Dark Savant seems to work pretty well for me, except that I only get music and no sound. Ultima VII part 2 works okay, but a lil' slow. Now, about Might & Magic:

It's not 100% speed, but it's certainly somewhere around 75% and very playable. Moving around works with absolutely zero problems and shouldn't cause any delays and it's really just (ranged) combat that's a little slow, because there's like a half second between 2 arrow hits. Still, it could be much worse if you ask me.
I've done 2 things about the mouse lag. First off, you should play around with the sensitivity setting. The default setting of 50 was way too high for me, so I lowered it down until the cursor stopped moving around on its own. Secondly, I've mapped all the important hotkeys to the D-Pad and the 4 buttons of the PSP. I've mapped the movment keys to the D-Pad and space (use, interact), S (shoot), A (attack) and C (cast spell) to the 4 buttons, meaning I really just need the mouse to select a spell from the menu or maybe sort my inventory. It's perfectly playable that way.

Of course there are a few occassions where you need to type stuff, like, when you name a character or enter a teleport destination, so that's where I have to save and quit the game and re-launch it without remapped keys, so I can actually "type". After that I save the game again and start with the remapped keys and that's it. A little awkward, but it's still a very enjoyable "on the go" experience.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Tyro wrote:Of course there are a few occassions where you need to type stuff, like, when you name a character or enter a teleport destination, so that's where I have to save and quit the game and re-launch it without remapped keys, so I can actually "type".
I wrote:You can switch between mapped and p-sprint mode with LTRIGGER+RTRIGGER+SELECT+DOWN.
Tyro

Post by Tyro »

crazyc wrote:
Tyro wrote:Of course there are a few occassions where you need to type stuff, like, when you name a character or enter a teleport destination, so that's where I have to save and quit the game and re-launch it without remapped keys, so I can actually "type".
I wrote:You can switch between mapped and p-sprint mode with LTRIGGER+RTRIGGER+SELECT+DOWN.
Have I told you lately that I love you? :)
ldaneels

Post by ldaneels »

Thanks for the reply, Tyro. At the time I am replaying through all Might & Magic games (Still on I right now), so it will take me some time to get to Worlds of Xeen. That being said, it is nice to know it is playable.
Great work CrazyC, I hope you can keep improving on this already awesome port.

Kiuc
Wally

Post by Wally »

The lionking works but lags a tad, meaning it jumps in game.

I was wondering if this could be fixed somehow as its an excellent game :)
Last edited by Wally on Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyro

Post by Tyro »

ldaneels wrote:Thanks for the reply, Tyro. At the time I am replaying through all Might & Magic games (Still on I right now), so it will take me some time to get to Worlds of Xeen. That being said, it is nice to know it is playable.
Great work CrazyC, I hope you can keep improving on this already awesome port.

Kiuc
Sure thing. :) If you need any help with the settings or whatever, then I'll be more than willing to help.
Now if only I could prevent Daggerfall from freezing my PSP when I try to fire it up. :(
Sterist

Post by Sterist »

is there any way possible at this moment to hold "ALT CTRL DEL" ?

(not during game/app)
paco.

Post by paco. »

Hello, I am Spanish and speak little English, well, so one friend of mine to fact to work win3.0 in the dosbox, but the icons of the menu are not seen.

Thanks Cracy C for your work.
Last edited by paco. on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

crazyc wrote:
Murdock wrote:Oh, and another thing: U set the Memory for DosBox to 5. Is there no more mem available on the PSP?
The current hard limit is 10MB. I use 8 most of the time.
Is there any possibility to optimize it further, so it is possible to play games which need more MHz, like 66 MHz
There's room for improvement, but doubling of performance is unlikely.
hey,great that we have about 10 MB RAM available ... but isn't any more possible? or did u limit it to 10 MB? I mean the PSP offers 32 MB :) of course the XMB needs some, DosBox itself etc. ... but do we "only" have one third for playing? :)

And thank you for letting us know that it's not likely that we'll be able to play 66 MHz games at 100 % speed ... it's kinda sad, but I think there are certain limits :(

Thx in advance for a reply :) very nice to speek to the coder personally ... first hand information :D
mypspdev

Post by mypspdev »

Thanks to all for these posts and info.
I've BOSDOX v 7.1 well running under 3.52-m33 Update4 with new IR keyboard.
Please is 7.1 last version of dosbox?

Dr.Sbaitso - Text to speech is playing speech very very well with acceptable quality of sound.

Thanks a lot to all.
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

mypspdev wrote: Please is 7.1 last version of dosbox?
no 0.72 is the newest but crazyc hasn't updated yet becaus its only a small update.

paco: get rid of the link, it is illegal to distribute windows 3.x

murdock: 10 megs is a lot considering the complexity of a x86 pc and the complexity of the dosbox recompiling core.

crazyc: may be you should make a new thread for questions about dosbox because there are alot of noobs (including myself) asking the same questions multiple times. You could also ask wragster to make you a own DCEMU section for dosbox questions, compatibility lists etc. (btw I have some spare time on my hands so i could monitor the thread\site and deal with the noobs for you.)
sorry for spelling!
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

IM back! wrote: no 0.72 is the newest but crazyc hasn't updated yet becaus its only a small update.

paco: get rid of the link, it is illegal to distribute windows 3.x

murdock: 10 megs is a lot considering the complexity of a x86 pc and the complexity of the dosbox recompiling core.

That was pretty much what I was aksing ... how much RAM does DosBox need, approximately of course. I have read somewhere that the XMB itself already uses about 5-7 MB of the 32 MB memory available, so then we'd have about 25 left ... then DosBox would need 15 MB RAM. Therfore, my question to CRAZYC was whether this is right. And I doubt this is a question of a "noob" ... since it's just curiosity and u can not just "look up" how much Random Access Memory the app needs!

As I said about two or three pages before, he does a fabulous job with this emulator, but I am interested in his opinion about how much potential there is ... I mean how much "better" can the emulator still become? :)

Oh, and IM back!: if u apologize for ur spelling in ur sig ... make shure at least the sig does not have any spelling errors :D
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Murdock wrote:I have read somewhere that the XMB itself already uses about 5-7 MB of the 32 MB memory available, so then we'd have about 25 left ... then DosBox would need 15 MB RAM.
Yes, the PSP has 32MB of RAM. The kernel reserves 3MB for it's self, so that leaves 29MB. The recompiler uses 5MB+2.5MB and the app and stack use 6MB so that leaves 15.5MB. There are many things that need to share that remaining memory so although you may be able to use more then 10MB, it won't be much more.
may be you should make a new thread for questions about dosbox because there are alot of noobs (including myself) asking the same questions multiple times. You could also ask wragster to make you a own DCEMU section for dosbox questions, compatibility lists etc. (btw I have some spare time on my hands so i could monitor the thread\site and deal with the noobs for you.)
I don't really have time to watch many forums. I will try to collect common answers and put them in the first post when I have a chance.
AB10784

10mb of memory

Post by AB10784 »

How do you set dosbox to use more memory is it in the config file? ive set that to 8 before but whenever I load up ABUSE it only finds about 4 and has to make another 4 in virtual ram?

Also I found for anyone interested that while setting the cycles to max instead of sync would slow alot of games down in the latets build it seemd to make Warcraft run faster for me!

Is there a way after exiting a game to reset the inputmaps to default?

one last thing, thanks you atomic for creating and hosting the latest eboot but on the next update I was wondering if you could not use the ps2dev icon with that innappropriate picture please.
Thanks for the great work guys, gotta get back to finishing those last 4 levels on skyroads.
Murdock

Re: 10mb of memory

Post by Murdock »

AB10784 wrote:How do you set dosbox to use more memory is it in the config file? ive set that to 8 before but whenever I load up ABUSE it only finds about 4 and has to make another 4 in virtual ram?
U can set the amount of RAm used by DosBox in the "dosbox.conf" file, namely under "memsize=" ... there u'll find that the standard mount being used is 5 ... u can use up to 10 MB according to CrazyC.

AB10784 wrote: Also I found for anyone interested that while setting the cycles to max instead of sync would slow alot of games down in the latets build it seemd to make Warcraft run faster for me!
hmm, I was already thinking about this option, too ... but since I am no pro in DosBox, I don't know what the different values actually "do" ... I mean of course, I know what "max" means, but what da heck is "sync"? Anyway, I think u'll find the answer somehwere in an ordinary DosBox forum. But it's interesting to know that particularly Warcraft runs faster with another value set there.

AB10784 wrote: Is there a way after exiting a game to reset the inputmaps to default?
YES, u'll find the answer some pages back ... :) I won't tell ya, since I don'T like ppl. not reading at least some of the pages of a post they are engaged in :)

AB10784 wrote: one last thing, thanks you atomic for creating and hosting the latest eboot but on the next update I was wondering if you could not use the ps2dev icon with that innappropriate picture please.
hmm, u can change the icon urself if u want to ... I changed it, too, cuz I thought it looks very silly ... all those manga crap bi... ehm ... girls *silly grin* ... it's just boring. Anyway, Another Icon would fit the program much more of course.
Just in case s/o wants another icon/background in the XMB and is too lazy to do it him/herself, here's my build of the actual release of CrazyC ... oh, if u mind that I offer a ready-to-go build here, please let me know. I'll delete the link immediately, but don't flame me for it :D I just want to help.

Oh, this release has Dos Commander loaded right at the beginning, so u don'T need to type anything in order to get ur games running :) and the RAM being used is already set to 10 MB :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/53791490/DosBox_newest.rar it's the current release from some days ago. The Icons are not that fancy, but I like it cuz it fits the app :) Enjoy!

[EDIT] Sorry, I forgot, this archive is PW protected ... use "Murdock" and u can unzip/unrar it!

TO CRAZYC: I have a problem with certain games: Games like Archon Ultra and Prince of Persia do not seem to respond to any input, or either do partially not respond :( The keys are mapped correctly, but the game does not react.

For example Prince of Persia: I can hit SELECT (mapped as ESC) and the games pauses, like when u hit ESC on the keyboard. But the damn guy does not move, even though the arrows are mapped to LEFT, RIGHT, etc.

Archon Ultra: The game (I don't know whether u know the game) uses mouse AND keyboard, it's similar to chess, but that doesn't matter. However, I can skip the title screen by hitting Start (mapped as RETURN) or SELECT (mapped as ESCAPE). But when it enters the main menu, the mouse cursor goes to the upper left and the game does not respond to anything ... neither mouse (shoulder buttons) nor keyboard (arrows, select, start, cross, etc.)

Do u know what this could be? Or is it just incompatibility on the side of DosBox with certain games?

Thx in advance!