GPS dev

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Energy

GPS dev

Post by Energy »

Hey all -

someone brought me one of the PSP's GPS system devices to play about with. I've finally got round to giving it a go (it's been sitting here most of the summer). I'm trying out John Kelley's GPS test program, thinking that due to it being open source I can play around with it easily enough.

My first question: is the psp's GPS really that poor? JK's demo shows me plenty of sats (got around 5 on my screen at the moment), but it seems to rarely fix on to them. I have seen it fix on, and when it does it seems to keep hold of them pretty well, but my psp has been sitting here for an hour and has yet failed to find my position. Is this normal? As I have no official software to try on the device I don't know if this is just down to the JK's software or the hardware...

I've jsut upgraded my firmware to 3.52 M33 4 so I've tried putting the new PRX's with the test. I seem to get similar results, plenty of sats, just not fixing on.

Another thing, on JK's source it picks the PRX's from the memorystick, what is the issue from directly loading the files from flash0

I just have some fun demos I'd like to try out with the GPS, but it not locking on doesn't fill me with joy at being able to 'debug' these demos! lol

Thanks for your time.
Art

Post by Art »

Take a look at posts about them compared to serial units on Deniska's forum and decide if they are poor.

I suspect that a lot of the PSP290 units are not the genuine Sony product.
deniska

Post by deniska »

IMHO, the PSP-290 GPS sensitivity issue is mostly due to interference that some PSP boards produce... You can improve sensitivity by distancing the receiver from PSP with extension cord (pc-mobile.net made one specificaly for that purpose on my request)..
Another way to go is to play with board clock frequencies to find the one with minimal interference...
check my dcemu forums for details..