Linux, what to install? (Ubuntu,knoppix,Gentoo?)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Rangu2057

Linux, what to install? (Ubuntu,knoppix,Gentoo?)

Post by Rangu2057 »

ok if anyone can help me here i would like to know which Linux distro to use for simple PSP deving, as i not really sure what to use.
the questions of today are awnswered by the blood and bullets of tomorrow! ---EagleEye--- (Socom FTB2)
b1G

Post by b1G »

I've never used knoppix or Gentoo, but Ubuntu is a good one. I use it at work and really like it. They just came out with a new version, too.
J.F.

Re: Linux, what to install? (Ubuntu,knoppix,Gentoo?)

Post by J.F. »

Rangu2057 wrote:ok if anyone can help me here i would like to know which Linux distro to use for simple PSP deving, as i not really sure what to use.
Ubuntu is nice, and handles the toolchain and libs just fine. You'll also find Geany in the Ubuntu repos - it's a nice lightweight IDE for editing the code.

If you're a bit more "hardcore" about your linux, Fedora is great for development. My primary dev system is Fedora, and Xubuntu is what I use on my laptop for developing for the PSP. Xubuntu is just Ubuntu using XFCE instead of Gnome for the desktop manager. It's better for lower end systems.
Rangu2057

Post by Rangu2057 »

thanks for the info, it seems that i will stick to Ubuntu though as i go to a college prep school and we were given laptops with novell to use for four years, and i usually boot Ubuntu off my 1gb lexar flash drive, or my 2gb mem stick pro duo of my psp

Its not exactly that hard to do though just go to Pendrivelinux.com to learn how to do it, they also have cool USB tools to

Xubuntu, im not sure, so basically which one to use?
the questions of today are awnswered by the blood and bullets of tomorrow! ---EagleEye--- (Socom FTB2)
Rangu2057

Post by Rangu2057 »

sorry for the double post, but which one is most reliable Xubuntu, or Ubuntu?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Rangu2057 wrote:sorry for the double post, but which one is most reliable Xubuntu, or Ubuntu?
Like I said, the main difference is Xubuntu uses XFCE instead of Gnome. It runs most all the Gnome stuff, but with a smaller footprint. It's not quite as nice as Gnome, but more responsive on lower-end system. Use Ubuntu or Kubuntu for new systems, and Xubuntu on older systems or laptops. They're all about the same for reliability, but XFCE wins hands down for performance on lesser computers.

For example, I use Xubuntu on an EPIA based laptop I got a few years ago. It has a 1GHz C7 CPU; that's about the same power as a 700 MHz P3. The graphics are about Quake 3 level. It has 512 MB of shared memory (most for system, some for video). Ubuntu works fine, but Gnome runs like a dog on it. Very slow. Xubuntu makes it very usable again. You now also have Compiz-Fusion for the desktop compositor, so it looks good, too. :)
gambiting

Post by gambiting »

Use Ubuntu.Knoppix is goo only for livecd,and gentoo is very difficult system(I guess it's the most difficult system of all linuxes,but it's also the fastest).
Viper8896

Post by Viper8896 »

i use gentoo and it is a very good distro but i would not recomend it to anybody with less than 2 years linux experience. ubuntu is great for getting started and thats what my bro with no *nix experience uses but i still had to set up the networking for him.

i think this should be moved to general rather than psp dev.
Rangu2057

Post by Rangu2057 »

ok thanks for the information, much appreciated
bruce-lee

Post by bruce-lee »

Open Suse 10.2 works great. its a by product of Novels Enterprise Suse. You can install all the packages for development then run the toolchain and be ready to start in no time.