A new port of uClinux on PSP (with accessibility to ms0)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Rich43

Post by Rich43 »

psp slim has marvell 88w8686, more info is here: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=60

seems the psp slim will have wifi g if we ever get it working.
noquarter

Post by noquarter »

Is it possible to mount a iso in uclinux?
I have several files I'd like to extract without having to go to a laptop.
M.Jackson

Post by M.Jackson »

I think it is possible. Recompile the kernel with the ISO fs support, and place your ISO files in MS, then just mount the file using the loop device.
noquarter

Post by noquarter »

Nice, thanks for letting me know.
nicotrial

Post by nicotrial »

hi is there any news on the wifi driver im realy looking forward to having wifi on the uclinux for the psp!!!

i have no idea about programing but is there any way i can help?
Cooleo

TuxRaceR?

Post by Cooleo »

Does anyone know if we could get TuxRacer running or some type of GUI? Such as TinyX?

http://www.superant.com/smalllinux/tinyX01.html

Mike
Please Help Me, Im a newbie :)
umontu

Post by umontu »

ok Ive seen atleast 4-5 people asking for a gui on psp linux how come no one has answered

I can help too with the graphics and art work so just pm and possibly some coding although im no expert

why isnt anyone trying to work on one there could be a group set up to work on it and it would open many new possibilities so I think it would be worth while.

with a gui psp linux could really take off
umontu

Post by umontu »

Infact Ive set up a forum join it if you can help please we can make it work and all we need is members to help with the project anything you can do will be helpfull

http://psplinuxgui.freeforums.org/
here
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I don't think you understand how much work there is on getting a "gui" to work in linux, regardless of the platform. Look at all existing linux desktop environments - even the "tiny" ones are several megabytes of code. We don't talk about it because it's more work than worth it until PSP linux is more complete in any case. Once PSP linux reaches a certain point, a driver for xorg or something similar can be worked on. That would be one of the last things you'd do, not the first.
shadash

Post by shadash »

Getting a gui to work on the psp isn't that hard. There's all kinds of embedded x servers out there that would likely work. But without a network connection (ideally wifi) how much fun would it be?

Once a wifi driver is available an X server will be ported. Some X servers might not even need to be ported just compiled.
umontu

Post by umontu »

Thats the idea exactly we need to get it done.
So getting a driver devoloped and a x sever done just needs to be organised that why im doning this because no one has organised it yet and i want to make it clearer to people who have asked for one.
You wont get anything done unless you organise it
Ferdinant

Post by Ferdinant »

As far as i know, the "grafik" (or better, the console) is beeing generated by the main cpu, the fpu of the psp isn't really recognized.

So.... better reorganize your forum to general PSP Linux development and your first goals should be:
1) recognize and get the fpu anyhow working (i hope this step doesn't require to write an own driver)
2) the wifi :D
3) maybe some sort of gui.
(just a dream) 4) Package management

edit: i'd help at anything related to PSP linux, even though i just know the basics of programming and linux.
shadash

Post by shadash »

For those that don't have any programming experience email the people I indicated earlier in this forum thread that have experience writing drivers for the marvell 88w8686. Point them to this thread and ask them for help.

Most likely they could get something working in less than a day. (if they have access to the hardware register/spec info)
hlide

Post by hlide »

Ferdinant wrote:As far as i know, the "grafik" (or better, the console) is beeing generated by the main cpu, the fpu of the psp isn't really recognized.
!?

what the fpu has to do with graphics ? psp has a standard fpu which shouldn't be difficult to use with linux.

and if you want to have a x-server, you would need to rewrite it to use GE unless you want to keep a bloated and slow x-server using only cpu and fpu.

seriously, i don't see the point to port anything about linux when they are obviously not all for embedded device. Having a GUI a la windows without any keyboard or mouse is totally crazy as an idea and not even original. but, well, this is just my opinion.
Ferdinant

Post by Ferdinant »

aaaaah... sry sry sry

I really don't know what i was obsessed of, when i wrote fpu. i meant GPU (as far as i know the PSP has a separate one)

im really sorry, such supid things won't happen again, i promise

Having a GUI [...] without any keyboard or mouse is totally crazy
Ok, atm we just have a console. Without a keyboard. A Gui, controlled by the standart PSP-keys, would be (as long as there is no text-input needed, for wich we would need the OSK again) much faster for some applications. And a GUI is always optional, so you wouldn't have to use it.

About pointing out the sense: As i see the homebrew-scene of the PSP, i'd say that around 60-80% of the things developed are quite useless. So i see this mostly as an "digital playground" and there is no reason, why not to play with linux ;)
shijima

IR Keyboard

Post by shijima »

Hi,

i like this wonderful project of uclinux on psp.

It's possible to have ir keyboard ( targus ) support ?

thank's.
tyranos

Post by tyranos »

@shijima ,
http://df38.dot5hosting.com/~remember/chris/
there also a thread in this forum
it has irkeyboard support but for another keyboard , i you know how u could easily change the part handling the keyboard input , and i think writing a driver for the targus is easier than other ir keyboards as u dont need to translate the scancodes
Djhg2000

Bug

Post by Djhg2000 »

Hi!

I think I just found a bug; OSK locks up after a random time but cursor keeps blinking.
Known since earlier?
Ferdinant

Re: Bug

Post by Ferdinant »

Djhg2000 wrote: OSK locks up after a random time but cursor keeps blinking.
I've also recognized this sometimes. I didn't find out anything about it until now (and when you try to provoke it, it simply won't happen ...).

By the way: It seems like M.Jackson settled over to develop a Custom Firmware for KWGR614 (=> a Router). Or is this (µClinux on PSP) still under development? It would be a pity if not.
shadash

Post by shadash »

The kernel is running all we need now is a way to communicate with it from a remote system. As soon as that happens linux on psp will take off.
mik

Post by mik »

Hi,
I got the toolchain running (buildroot, applied sim's patches), installed the kernel and it runs ;)
Now I wanted to compile pspsdk too (to build pspboot by myself).
Can I use buildroot's toolchain instead of pspdev?
I created symlinks from linux-mipsel-* to psp-*, e.g. gcc, ld, ranlib and so on but the build fails as follows:

[...]
In file included from ../../src/user/pspuser.h:26,
from ../../src/kernel/pspkernel.h:18,
from exception.c:13:
../../src/user/psputils.h:43: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'sceKernelLibcClock'
make[3]: *** [exception.o] Error 1
[...]

thx
Ferdinant

Post by Ferdinant »

I'm sorry, but you must also install the PSPSDK from pspdev too, because buildroottoolchain can just compile executables for linux and not for the PSP's firmware.
The toolchains aren't compatible!
mik

Post by mik »

Ah ok,
I thought I could avoid the compilation of 2 toolchains on my medieval machine ;)
Thanks for the reply.
mik
rosejuice

uclinux just hanged on my psp slim

Post by rosejuice »

uclinux just hanged on my psp while mounting the file system so I had to restart my psp.
It just can't get past mounting the file system. Should I change anything in its config file to make it not hang on that?

My psp slim has 3.71 firmware if that helps and it's a psp slim 2000 pb.
It also hangs there even if I put it on the psp/game folder or the psp/game150 folder.
morpheus5

Post by morpheus5 »

We need a proper PSP linux forum or organization to properly make it work..... someone please host a forum....
Wally

Post by Wally »

morpheus5 wrote:We need a proper PSP linux forum or organization to properly make it work..... someone please host a forum....
A forum just for PSPlinux? what have about 20 different sub forums and two posters??

No.

Best to be kept here or in a sub forum :)
shadash

WiFi driver?

Post by shadash »

Anybody have any updates about a wifi driver for the PSP running a native linux kernel?

This truly is the last hurdle
shadash

There is a driver!

Post by shadash »

It looks like there is a driver

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/li ... 01459.html

But, the information Marvell is providing is not what the libertas-dev want. This is good and bad. At least there's "something" available for a driver to be created with. But, It doesn't seem like the linux kernel libertas-dev developers are very excited about figuring out how to make it work in the current driver.

Mo, are you able to create a kernel with the moblin.org marvell 88w8686 driver in it? Not the current libertas-dev driver?
emuonpsp

PS/2 Keyboard works on uCLinux for PSP v0.22

Post by emuonpsp »

Hi everyone.
I made a PS/2 keyboard converter(with PSP Remote port) and checked the operation in uclinux for psp v0.22.

I made Mr.tokoya's HP and his AVR firmware source code reference.I built AVR firmware(set BAUD 38400bps to
9600bps) and wrote.

HP
http://emuonpsp.net/ [JP]

http://209.85.171.104/translate_c?hl=en ... uage_tools [EN translated]

Mr.tokoya's page
http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~tokoya/PPCA.html
Drajwer

Post by Drajwer »

Great! The linux works fine. No problem at all. But...
I have SIO keyboard. Works fine with piKey but on uClinux it gives bad characters. does anyone managed to get SIO keyboard working good?

Anyway, keep up good work!