map editor for games with LTE game engine

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

helboi

map editor for games with LTE game engine

Post by helboi »

Hi guys,
i am starting developping using the LTE
and actually i am lost, the tutorials are insuffisants
Anyone can help me?
I need, at first, a map editor since the engine can load maps
Thanks
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

As the examples clearly show, it can load Quake 3 maps. So obviously, you can use any Quake 3 map editor to make maps.
helboi

Post by helboi »

The problem that it can't load any quake 3 map
It is very limited.
Actionally, i failed to load any map except the one with the tutorial
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Okay, you probably just don't understand how LTE works. Let's look at pieces of the Q3 sample to make sure you understand what it's doing.

Code: Select all

device->getFileSystem()->addZipFileArchive("ms0:/media/map-20kdm2.pk3");

This loads the pk3, making it part of a virtual filesystem. The files inside the pk3 will now be accessible to the app. Note that most maps refer to data in other pk3's! The map chosen for the demo is self-contained - it has everything it needs in the one pk3. For most maps, you will need to add several other pk3 files. If you are missing some things like textures, the map may load, but you get blank space anywhere the texture would be. If you see grey with a box saying "FPS: 59" or something similar, the level loaded.

Also note that the PSP has limited memory. make sure not to load levels that are too big. That includes the textures as well as the map itself. That is especially important on the Phat PSP.

scene::IAnimatedMesh* mesh = smgr->getMesh("20kdm2.bsp");

Look in the maps directory inside the pk3 to make sure you have the name of the bsp correct.

node = smgr->addOctTreeSceneNode(mesh->getMesh(0));

If there is more than one mesh inside the map (probably not, but you never know), make sure to load the correct one.

node->setPosition(core::vector3df(-1300,-144,-1249));

The demo map is not centered at (0,0,0). This code sets the starting point for the demo level. If you load another map and don't know where it was centered around, use the analog stick to look around until you see the level (it'll be floating in a grey space).

I had no trouble loading other maps as long as I remembered the above. I usually had to use the analog stick to look around until I saw the level, and some/many textures were missing (map relies on base q3 pk3s), but they worked just fine. I only had one map that didn't load, and that was a HUGE map (14.7MB bsp + 6.7MB of textures).