Load ELF From IPL?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

raing3

Load ELF From IPL?

Post by raing3 »

Does anyone know how I can make an IPL which will load the firmware from the NAND as well as an unsigned ELF/PRX from the Memory Stick?
Torch

Post by Torch »

You can only make an IPL that boots to NAND. But there's already the TM IPL for that. Plus it requires an additional patch of the NAND IPL in the PSP Slim due to a Sony protection.

You cant load anything from the IPL. At IPL time its nothing but raw assembler instructions that is being executed by the CPU. There is no OS. There is nothing called PRX or ELF at this time. You will need to boot a minimal firmware subset for this, with a IPL that patches the Sony IPL to boot from memory stick and then you need a basic CFW module to patch the firmware modules as well to allow unsigned loading etc. Its basically like making your own CFW.
For this you already have DC5.
raing3

Post by raing3 »

Yeah okay I do understand that the IPL can't directly load the ELF but since I am loading the firmware from the NAND (this would be the firmware subset) would I be able to make the IPL pass extra commands to the loaded firmware which tells it to run the ELF. I've looked through Boosters IPL SDK and can't find any way to load an ELF. I have no intention of actually creating the ELF just the IPL. I just want to recreate the Datel PSP Action Replay IPL and make my application inject the IPL as I probably can't include the IPL because it contains code copyright by Datel (not that they care about stealing code, they only even give acknowledgments to BenHur for intraFont in their program).

But anyway thanks for the help Torch, I probably won't be able to figure this out. But this is the second time I've asked for help and it's the second time you've helped me, keep up the good work.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Assuming M33 firmware is on NAND, the M33 IPL boots first and patches the Sony IPL and also makes it boot from pspbtknf.bin. In DC7 the memstick IPL patches to boot from pspbtdnf.bin in DC mode, and reeboot.bin boots normally in Test M33 option. The pspbtdnf loads the dc prx. You need the same thing but for nand mode. But I dont think memstick ipl can patch nand ipl and boot from patched one, as it just issues a reboot to nand, and doesnt actually load the nand ipl manually. Your only way will be to modify the m33 ipl in any case because you need the cfw patches.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Sorry to bump this up. The IPL is made like he said, asm instruction that the cpu executes. Sometimes, its best to learn mips, so you can do all those things. For more information, take a look at booster ipl sdk.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

And if you need help, let us know. Someone might help you.