dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Wally

Post by Wally »

W00fer wrote:GTA 1 doesn't work on the PSX emu on PSP.

And GTA 2 isnt that fun. GTA 1 is better.
we arent talking PSX though..
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

W00fer wrote:GTA 1 doesn't work on the PSX emu on PSP.

And GTA 2 isnt that fun. GTA 1 is better.
Who sais is's not working? I have it here, but I can't remember whether i've already tried it ... anyway ...
Wally4000 wrote:we arent talking PSX though..
... u're right, PSX is not the topic here .. so I'll stay with the original one and tell u that GTA will most probably NEVER run at an acceptable speed, no matter wheter DOsBox gives u an error and crashes or it loads the game and u can run it in slowmo! I mean u'd like to see it running with 1 FPS in Dosbox ... or maybe u'd prefer something like 30 fps with a PSX eboot?

Therefore, don'T ever tell me what we're talking about here .. I was just making a SUGGESTION!!!

Accept it or tell me in a friendly tone that u were not looking for this option. I'd honeslty love to see games with such high system requirements running on Dosbox ... but as the CODER of the application HIMSELF already said, it is very very very very very very very vry unlikely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So don'T keep picking on a topic you should know that is very unrealistic if u had read this thread carefully![/code]
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

Hmm i thought Windows 3.11 used more cpu power/resources than GTA 1, which is a dos game.

But i guess i'm wrong.
Wally

Post by Wally »

I agree, it would be very nice to see some of the newer dosgames run on Dosbox PSP which I agree would be hard unless someone talented like crazyc hadn't of jumped on board.

Surely there is a way around this issue.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

W00fer wrote:Hmm i thought Windows 3.11 used more cpu power/resources than GTA 1, which is a dos game.

But i guess i'm wrong.
Windows 3.11, at least when not running any apps, is much lighter on resources then many later DOS games.

I haven't been able to write any code for this yet, but I am still alive and will get some done when I can, hopefully soon.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

crazyc wrote:
W00fer wrote:Hmm i thought Windows 3.11 used more cpu power/resources than GTA 1, which is a dos game.

But i guess i'm wrong.
Windows 3.11, at least when not running any apps, is much lighter on resources then many later DOS games.

I haven't been able to write any code for this yet, but I am still alive and will get some done when I can, hopefully soon.
Great to hear that u'r still alive and kicking :D Hmm, well do u really think you can get games like Dungeon Keeper or GTA1 running well? That'd be awesome, nevertheless I'd prefer Dungeon Keeper :)
andrewwan1980

Post by andrewwan1980 »

I compared the official/original DOS Navigator 1.51:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dos_Navigator
http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/dn/

with Murdock's DOSBox package and found some extra files. Just wondering whether they were Murdock's usage, etc. Murdock, is it possible to remove/clean up DN before your next new release please.

The new files were:

DN.CFG
DN.FLG
DN.HIS
DN??.SWP (several files, where ?? is some numbers)

Also, sub-folder RUS is removed....
Bobelvago

Post by Bobelvago »

Is there any way to use DOSbox with PSP Slim yet? =\
someone
Idiot

Post by someone »

Bobelvago wrote:Is there any way to use DOSbox with PSP Slim yet? =\
Second that, we need a PSP Slim version
Bobelvago

Post by Bobelvago »

Yep, and can anyone confirm if Alone in the Dark works?..=]
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

andrewwan1980 wrote:I compared the official/original DOS Navigator 1.51:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dos_Navigator
http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/dn/

with Murdock's DOSBox package and found some extra files. Just wondering whether they were Murdock's usage, etc. Murdock, is it possible to remove/clean up DN before your next new release please.

The new files were:

DN.CFG
DN.FLG
DN.HIS
DN??.SWP (several files, where ?? is some numbers)

Also, sub-folder RUS is removed....
LOL well ... those files don't take up too much space ... so I think it should not be neccessary to clean up the release .. anyway, if you wish I can include a fresh copy of DN 1.51 next time :)

BUt thx for the hint anyway. I think those files are generated by DN 1.51 when it's run for the first time. Regarding the swap files (*.swp), I guess Dos Navigator creates them when you perform certain actions. I am not sure when they are created, but I guess when copying or deleting, to make sure the process is reversable ... but again: this is only a guess by me :)

To the *.his and other files: I am not sure why those are there ... maybe they serve similar purposes like the others ... who knows ;)

but you can be sure that I'll use a clean, fresh and unused copy of Dos Navigator the next time I repack CrazyC's fabulous emulator :)

Maybe to answer the last remaining question of yours: No, I haven't added any of those files to serve some purpose :) They were created entirely by DN, I suppose. I also noticed once that the number of files found in the DN151 folder has increased, but since this happens almost every time I start my computer, I didn't pay much attention to this ... :)

Greetings,

Howling Mad Murdock

[EDIT]
Bobelvago wrote:Yep, and can anyone confirm if Alone in the Dark works?..=]
I cannot confitrm it working, since I haven't tried it yet. But looking at the sytem requirements of 16 MHz and 640 kb RAM you should have a good chance of getting it running.

Maybe u try it urself:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/91 here you can d/l it :)

Use DosBox release in my sig ... not much work to do, just copy 'n' paste it to GAME150 and run it ... copy AitD 1 into the ms0:/Dosbox folder and you can select it from DN after executing Dosbox from the XMB :)

AND DON'T FORGET TO TELL US WHETHER IT WORKED! I'LL ADD IT TO THE WORKING GAMES IN THE MANUAL'S NEXT RELEASE, 2.0 ... :)
Bobelvago

Post by Bobelvago »

Can't test it, I have a slim, theres no slim support =[...
nitr8

Post by nitr8 »

Bobelvago wrote:Can't test it, I have a slim, theres no slim support =[...

Yea...

Someone with coding skills should recompile the files for PSP Slim & Light. I remember that someone around here wrote it just would have to be compiled especially for the slim.

It's really frustrating that there is no release for slim out yet, since there are many good old DOS programs, games and so on.

Also for myself - i want to use DOSBox on my PSP Slim as well, since i have it on my PC already - and it rocks!
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

nitr8 wrote:

Yea...

Someone with coding skills should recompile the files for PSP Slim & Light. I remember that someone around here wrote it just would have to be compiled especially for the slim.

It's really frustrating that there is no release for slim out yet, since there are many good old DOS programs, games and so on.

Also for myself - i want to use DOSBox on my PSP Slim as well, since i have it on my PC already - and it rocks!
It's moments like these that make me glad that I never bought a psp slim.
nitr8

Post by nitr8 »

andwhyisit wrote:
nitr8 wrote:

Yea...

I believe you never saw a PSP Slim coming, so stop talking like that... pfff...

Any DOSBox release for the Slim would be appreciated
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Well, if someone will provide me with the source and makefile in a compilable form, I'll alter it for 3.xx.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

J.F. wrote:Well, if someone will provide me with the source and makefile in a compilable form, I'll alter it for 3.xx.
I think u have everything you can get ... the elf file ... if that's not enough, just wait for CrazyC to port it over ... PERIOD!

CAN WE NOW FINALLY END THIS DUMB SLIM DISCUSSION?!?!?!?! It's been discussed so often here now, it starts getting on my nerves .. if u are unwilling to read the entire post to find out about a possible Slim version, u should not once again ask for it ... READ THE FUCKIN POST!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Murdock wrote:
J.F. wrote:Well, if someone will provide me with the source and makefile in a compilable form, I'll alter it for 3.xx.
I think u have everything you can get ... the elf file ... if that's not enough, just wait for CrazyC to port it over ... PERIOD!

CAN WE NOW FINALLY END THIS DUMB SLIM DISCUSSION?!?!?!?! It's been discussed so often here now, it starts getting on my nerves .. if u are unwilling to read the entire post to find out about a possible Slim version, u should not once again ask for it ... READ THE FUCKIN POST!
He posts a diff file for the sources on the first page, but I've never been able to make a working makefile for it, and the diff doesn't cover that. As to the Slim, people are going to ask until someone does it. I'd like to run it on my Slim as well. So i don't think we'll end the "dumb slim discussion" simply because it's getting on your nerves. If you don't like it, DO something about.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Shouldnt be too hard to port over should it :/
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

nitr8 wrote:
andwhyisit wrote:
nitr8 wrote:
Yea...

My psp was broken and I was looking for a replacement, I had the choice between the original psp and the slim and I chose the original psp, this was fairly recent. I must admit that the extra ram, tv out, faster loading times and star ocean psp greatly appealed to me, but I don't like the idea of some of the homebrew on my mem card suddenly not working. If there eventually is a 1.5 kernel for the slim then I would definitely get one.
Bobelvago

Post by Bobelvago »

Murdock - I just joined, and I'm not going to read 20 fucking pages of text, thats time consuming and time wasting...

I hope someone ports it soon =[..
Wally

Post by Wally »

andwhyisit wrote:
nitr8 wrote:
andwhyisit wrote: It's moments like these that make me glad that I never bought a psp slim.

My psp was broken and I was looking for a replacement, I had the choice between the original psp and the slim and I chose the original psp, this was fairly recent. I must admit that the extra ram, tv out, faster loading times and star ocean psp greatly appealed to me, but I don't like the idea of some of the homebrew on my mem card suddenly not working. If there eventually is a 1.5 kernel for the slim then I would definitely get one.
Do we really need 1.50 Kernel?

3.71 is more advanced.. the slim is lighter and has more memory.. Something must go!
nitr8

Post by nitr8 »

J.F. wrote:
Murdock wrote:

He posts a diff file for the sources on the first page, but I've never been able to make a working makefile for it, and the diff doesn't cover that. As to the Slim, people are going to ask until someone does it. I'd like to run it on my Slim as well. So i don't think we'll end the "dumb slim discussion" simply because it's getting on your nerves. If you don't like it, DO something about.
that is definitely correct and i totally agree. I don't know why we should stop this discussion for the slim, until someone does something against this (current) "psp-fat-only-release".

this sucks.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Here is a test build for 3.xx kernels. It's completely untested other then I know it starts on my fat with the 3.52 kernel. It should work on the slim but at the moment, it doesn't use the extra RAM. http://home.wi.rr.com/crazyz/EBOOT.PBP Also, those bus error crashes a few pages back can be avoided by using dos32a, but GTA1 still doesn't work because it runs out of memory.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

crazyc wrote:Here is a test build for 3.xx kernels. It's completely untested other then I know it starts on my fat with the 3.52 kernel. It should work on the slim but at the moment, it doesn't use the extra RAM. http://home.wi.rr.com/crazyz/EBOOT.PBP Also, those bus error crashes a few pages back can be avoided by using dos32a, but GTA1 still doesn't work because it runs out of memory.
It crashes my slim in 3.71 M33-3.
nitr8

Post by nitr8 »

J.F. - try deleting or renaming the dosbox.conf to something else - then it will run.

It crashed on my PSP Slim 3.71 M33-3 first, too - but as soon as i renamed the dosbox.conf to dosbox.conf.old, it let me run dosbox on the Slim.

Other than that - i realized later, that you can run it with a dosbox.conf, too. Try changing these params in your dosbox.conf and tell me the result:

memsize=20
frameskip=0
core=full
pcspeaker=false

Thanks CrazyC and keep up the good work.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

nitr8 wrote:J.F. - try deleting or renaming the dosbox.conf to something else - then it will run.

It crashed on my PSP Slim 3.71 M33-3 first, too - but as soon as i renamed the dosbox.conf to dosbox.conf.old, it let me run dosbox on the Slim.

Other than that - i realized later, that you can run it with a dosbox.conf, too. Try changing these params in your dosbox.conf and tell me the result:

memsize=20
frameskip=0
core=full
pcspeaker=false

Thanks CrazyC and keep up the good work.
Yep, that works. It's the core=dynamic that is the issue here. Just changing the core back makes it crash again. Something about dynamic is crashing. Auto seems to work okay. I'll have to try a few things.
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

Big THX CrazyC for this update for slim users (i only own a psp fat and she is running in 1.5 and a won't change to 3.xx ;) ). I changed the settings for the slim how nitr8 said. I hope it will run. Please tell me about your settings, so i can modified the settings again for a good emulation.

Get my package at http://www.emunews24.de/dosemus.html#so ... %20slim257
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

J.F. wrote: Yep, that works. It's the core=dynamic that is the issue here. Just changing the core back makes it crash again. Something about dynamic is crashing. Auto seems to work okay. I'll have to try a few things.
I made a stupid error that caused this and put up a new version, try getting it again. If you have a fat, use the 1.5 version for now as it still has several advantages.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

crazyc wrote:
J.F. wrote: Yep, that works. It's the core=dynamic that is the issue here. Just changing the core back makes it crash again. Something about dynamic is crashing. Auto seems to work okay. I'll have to try a few things.
I made a stupid error that caused this and put up a new version, try getting it again. If you have a fat, use the 1.5 version for now as it still has several advantages.
The latest works with core=dynamic now. Great work! :)