PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

wooolF

Post by wooolF »

@miemt11
miemt11 wrote:Hmm, are the matrix 2 scene of orgsm that have sound problem. still available to download. I wan to test it on PMP 1.02(Jonny) or other people already tested, please post you comment
miemt11 wrote:I Agree with you jonny, that use only movie trailers / perfectly legit content (no movie snips, adult content or similat stuffs).
eh? :P
You kinda answered your own question... I've removed the orgasm cake scene from Matrix 2 and all others will be removed later on too (so get'em while you can).

@psp360
My pleasure mate :) Happy to see that I was missed ;D

@xxxstarmanxxx
I'm not a huge fan of 3vix, but I'm agreed that 3vix can produce better quality videos at lower bitrates (under 700kbps) then DiVX (and it's faster), but as I'm using nearly twice as big bitrate (+1200-1300kbps), DiVX produces much better quality compared to what 3vix can do at same bitrates. Just IMHO =)

@k0nan
k0nan wrote:Great work on the guide! I'll have to look at it more in-depth tomorrow. I see you've chosen 1300 as your king, I thought after your Matrix2 scene16 encode that Q3 would be your pic, but I trust your experience. Do you force 480x272 as your output ratio regardless of your source ratio? If not, how do you go about calculating your output ratio? I use PSPMPVerter solely to calculate PMP aspect ratio b/c I haven't found a similar feature in Winmenc yet. (edit - nevermind, I see that you use AMV Resize)

btw the scene20 encode you made me now plays flawlessly on jonny's 1.02 update. :)
Thanks dude! And glad to hear that my other encoding that had problems before plays fine now. I will try the new version in the nearest days (not much time right now and I will be away for the whole day tomorrow in Copenhagen) and if I find it usable with XViD, I'll update my guide to use with XViD (already got the best settings I could find (IMHO)).
Guide/tutorial for converting DVD (and other normal files) to PMP at best quality possible (works for me) avoiding the usual audio stuttering and ghosting problems.

http://maxt.dk/archives/2006/02/01/dvd-to-psp/
jonny

Post by jonny »

About the "speed increase around 2.5fps", does that mean we can now try encoding at 29.97fps?
it will play better for sure, but i think 29.97fps content is still not 100% safe
csuper

Post by csuper »

Big Thanx Jonny !

I will test it with my usual stutering file ;) and tell you what's going on with this 1.02 version of yours :))

This is a nice beginning of the month !
jvpsp

Post by jvpsp »

thank you jonny, excellent job!

I'm new to this, and am unsure on one or two things.
Wonder if anyone in the forum can help.

I'm doing the following, in the order described.

source movie is 600x256(approx. can't check exact values, at work atm)

1. crop this down to 456x256 (using mencoder) this is to get approx. 16:9 ratio
2. scale up to 480x272, and encode to xvid (using mencoder)

so order is crop -> scale -> encode

Many forums state that movie dimensions should be divisible by exactly 16 (called mod16). this is for better compression apparently.

This is no problem for psp dimensions since 480 and 272 are multiples of 16.

BUT, here's the question:

should the input(before scaling, in step 1) also be multiples of 16? Or does this only apply for the output created.

Also, does anyone know if this affects display quality, or only compression.

any help appreciated.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

@jvpsp

1) For PSP it should be divisible by 8.
2) Only result (output).
3) Depends on the codec you're using and the way you use it. For both XViD and DiVX you can tell the codec what format your pixels are in the source (NTSC 16:9 / PAL 4:3 / PC square etc) to help/force it a bit. Also PSP's screen is kinda small, so that wont matter much... You're not encoding for the 42" plasma TV :P
Guide/tutorial for converting DVD (and other normal files) to PMP at best quality possible (works for me) avoiding the usual audio stuttering and ghosting problems.

Mondy

Post by Mondy »

Hey Jonny, I have added support to PSP-OSS to play .pmp files from within the shell.

I just came here to see if you would have any problems with us releasing it when we have time to release our next version.

The license and readme will be released with the shell as well of course.

Anyway if you have any objections just let me know and ill remove it.
jvpsp

Post by jvpsp »

@wooolF

thank you for the reply.
So to confirm; the resolution of the movie used for input does not matter at all?

Just wanna be sure :-)

thanks
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

Mondy wrote:Hey Jonny, I have added support to PSP-OSS to play .pmp files from within the shell.

I just came here to see if you would have any problems with us releasing it when we have time to release our next version.

Anyway if you have any objections just let me know and ill remove it.
That's cool news :)
jonny

Post by jonny »

@jvpsp:
So to confirm; the resolution of the movie used for input does not matter at all?
yep, don't worry ^^

@Mondy:
Hey Jonny, I have added support to PSP-OSS to play .pmp files from within the shell.
nice :)
I've downloaded your current source, but seems i'm not able to open the .pdf with the licence, can you send me the license in plain text?
you should release all under gpl, if you statically link the pmp lib, is your license a lot different?
yoshaw

Post by yoshaw »

PMP Mod 1.02 is simply amazing. The 2.5fps jump is a blessing. To celebrate Jonny's amazing work, here is the amazing song that came out in Japan for Final Fantasy XII(#1 on Famitsu's most wanted list).

If the rare footage of FFXII in this PMP cannot impress you, I don't know what will. But I'm sold on this game whole heartedly after viewing this video reel. Played on 1.02 gives zero stutters and the source is exactly the same as what I endoded for PMPMod. Amazing video. Please enjoy!

Final Fantasy XII - "Kiss Me Goodbye" (Official song in English)
http://rapidshare.de/files/12319808/FFX ... e.pmp.html

Rare footage capture from the video!
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

yoshaw wrote:If the rare footage of FFXII in this PMP cannot impress you, I don't know what will.
Erm... I wasn't impressed :P Specially when you couldn't hear half of the song because they spoke jap :/ I had a hope for some wikkid encoding (visually) of FFXII, but couldn't notice it either :/ bleh...

On the other note. PMP Mod gets better and better, my regards to jonny.
My XViD encodings of Matrix 2 scene #20 (Neo vs Frenchman's people) had no audio stuttering at all...
XViD encodings of Matrix 2 scene #15 (Neo vs +100 Agent Smith) had some troubles with audio (too much action I guess and too much active objects)...
XViD encodings of Matrix 2 "orgasm cake" scene had big problems with audio (but less stuttering then before, good work!).

I'll be on DiVX for now I guess =)

Sorted

Post by Sorted »

PMP MOD 1.02

Is there a version that has the same features as Mallocs Mod?
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Sorted wrote:PMP MOD 1.02

Is there a version that has the same features as Mallocs Mod?
Not yet... but will be out soon... check this thread: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4684

Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

jonny, i can say that 29.970 runs very smoothly!
I'm currently uploading a PMP to yousendit.com
It's the FFVII tech demo. encoded at 29.970 with 850kbps.
You will see, it runs just great and NO SKIPPING sound!!
Later,

Alcahest
edit: yousendit.com didn't work after uploading 10 megs :/
So here instead : http://rapidshare.de/files/12333541/FFVII_DEMO.PMP.html
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Same here, no audio skipping :) The ghosting effect is pretty bad tho', specially noticable after the 1st truck drives from right to left and when the mail character swings his sword (at the near end of the video). Otherwise pretty good :)

csuper

Post by csuper »

Ok, on a slow MS (the SONY one) the stutering is less hapening (good job jonny).

I have still some problem on the stargate "generic" (the presentation sequence)...

I have bought a 2 GB SanDisk that i will receive soon I will be able to make some comparaison ;)

Thanx

csuper.
---------------
yoshaw

Post by yoshaw »

wooolF wrote:I had a hope for some wikkid encoding (visually) of FFXII, but couldn't notice it either :/ bleh...
Please don't be full of yourself! :) The source of that reel is exactly like how it turned out to be with the PMP file. I wonder why this didn't occur to you? Given how you were asking me tutorials in the PM, this should had been a simple thought from someone like you. Now I think I over estimated you ... but bleh whatever mate. Try taking it easy on others, will ya?

Much thanks to Jonny for the amazing job he's done with the Mod. Bravo!
Last edited by yoshaw on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

csuper wrote:I have bought a 2 GB SanDisk that i will receive soon I will be able to make some comparaison ;)
Good choice! ;) I'll see if I can get SanDisk 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo Ultra II. Just seen some of'em here on sale... Pretty pricey tho' :/

wooolF

Post by wooolF »

yoshaw wrote:
wooolF wrote:I had a hope for some wikkid encoding (visually) of FFXII, but couldn't notice it either :/ bleh...
Please don't be full of yourself! :) The source of that reel is exactly like how it turned out to be with the PMP file. I wonder why this didn't occur to you? Given how you were asking me tutorials in the PM, this should had been a simple thought from someone like you. Now I think I over estimated you ... but bleh :/
As a webdesigner, all that matters for me is quality. I've posted before that I would use more space, but quality should be as good as it can get =)
And yes, I was asking you about your way of encoding to compare to mine (at that point it was XViD and my knowledge about mencoder was pretty weak), but... frankly said it was too much for such a simple task :P Don't misunderstand me, I've made DVD9 > DVD5 encodings for years using 5-7 tools for each encoding. Same rule was applied - best quality possible. But with PSP I could use only 1 tool to make all my encodings, so I went that way and frankly said I don't regret it. More to say, I didn't used a bit from your "tutorial" because u're using completely other tools and another codec (XViD). But thanks for "sharing the fun", that's all that matters...

Knowledge is power, right? :)

ClonePSP

Post by ClonePSP »

I would just like to report that 1.02 seems to be a major step in the right direction in terms of optimization. The problem scene I had of The 4400 Episode 3 has 0 audio stuttering. This was a 2 pass XviD encode of 1000kbps which stuttered before but now it dont.
yoshaw

Post by yoshaw »

wooolF wrote:frankly said it was too much for such a simple task :P Don't misunderstand me, I've made DVD9 > DVD5 encodings for years using 5-7 tools for each encoding. Same rule was applied - best quality possible. But with PSP I could use only 1 tool to make all my encodings, so I went that way and frankly said I don't regret it. More to say, I didn't used a bit from your "tutorial" because u're using completely other tools and another codec (XViD). But thanks for "sharing the fun", that's all that matters...

Knowledge is power, right? :)
Hey, no worries pal. I got nothing against you for your way of encoding at all. I was just wondering why would you act like policing the quality of others without actually understanding the scope of the variables involved? Frankly, I think that's all what should matter to both of us!

And please, let us take it easy without being frank about peoples work as not upto quality :) ok

Hail jonny for 1.02
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

yoshaw wrote:I was just wondering why would you act like policing the quality of others without actually understanding the scope of the variables involved.
Erm... I was just... what do you call it... elaborating my personal opinion on the submitted PMP...

jonny

Post by jonny »

Please don't be full of yourself!
i must say i agree with yoshaw
this thread is going really out of it's original scope
and the problem is not going out of scope, the problem is not having a scope
i'm bored with "what is the best utopy", i've also lost hope about my "clean thread utopy"
wooolF, i've never seen such kind of forum flooding, you are really not required to comment every single message going on here, this thread is not your personal blog, it's here for everyone
now, try to use common sense, make constructive discussions with the target of helping and the rule of respect
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

Although it would've been better to suggest this about 30 pages back, what does anyone think about possibly starting a seperate thread for all PMP -encoding- discussion? (edit - argandona takes credit for originally making this suggestion, and oddly enough, suggesting it 30 pages ago)

Since the bulk of the replies on this thread lately are comments & questions about encoding settings and pmp file reviews, perhaps it would be best to have a seperate thread dedicated to just that. Then this thread could revert back to application-specific discussion of PMP Mod, issues, updates, suggestions, feedback, and general praise and appreciation of jonny's hard work. :)

I was keeping a text file of everyone's encoding tips b/c the thread was growing so fast and a lot of great information was buried rather quickly. A thread with all this information in the first post, along with links to the various tutorials, encoding programs, and everyone's pmp uploads, wouldn't be that hard to throw together and keep updated. Since we keep the mod discussion in a seperate thread, perhaps we should keep the encoding roundtable in its own thread too.
Last edited by k0nan on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
argandona

Post by argandona »

argandona wrote:I think this thread should be for bug reports/feedback, someone could make another about ripping, configs and bitrates, just to keep things clean...
I'm actually quoting myself from page 3
GiBBz

Post by GiBBz »

not that i can notice any diffrence, but thanx for 1.02 jonny WHOO!
(+.[____]·:·)
imutau

Post by imutau »

I think there should be a thread just for encodes also. This thread should be just for bugs and stuff.

Also before I forget thanks jonny I think we may have a winner in this one. Anything else to get more performance would be just spliting hairs in my book. Unless you find a way where this app doesn't suck so much juice. But I don't see that happening. Though honsetly it's not that big of an issue for me.
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

Excellent work Jonny - you can really notice the speed increase!

I have managed to get the Blade.Trinity.Trailer to encode with XviD and B=frames active and it only breaks up with a slow down once in a scene where Blade crashes and shatters a floor.

I'll be looking forward to any further speed increases in the hope of using B-frames in all my encodes.

Thanks again for your latest effort.

Also a question @ Jonny - Do you believe there is any more optimizations left to go???? - I really want B-frames active in Xvid to beat my 3ivX 'all bells and whistles encodes'!!!!

Sorry for my impatience!!

I wont be posting any further progress on encoding now - I'm happy with 3ivx results using avs scripts - so any further stuff from me will just be 'yes it works with blah settings or no it doesn't' - I'm going back to watching the thread for the sake of the programs further development.

If I have anything new to share - I'll use my own thread from now on.

Thanks everyone - its been a blast!

All the best

J.
Sorted

Post by Sorted »

What we need is a best settings thread that takes into acount all the convertors and codecs.

I know woolf is a bit of a prolific poster but at least he is keen to help others and is very positive

Post by 604000 »

jonny, I tested the first chapter of LOST with malloc's latest mod and I think that the option to adjust the luminance is really useful to avoid ghosting. All the problems I had had with some very contrasted scenes disappeared changing the luminance. Maybe it would be useful to add a filter during the encoding of the file, but it would be great to be able to change this in your version. Other things like keeping the position of the video when you stop it or the usb refresh list on the file browser aren't needed. Malloc's mod has too many don't useful thinks, but this one and the elapsed time display are the only really useful. Do you mind on working on it? It's only curiosity...

I agree with you, the post isn't focused on what it should be. Sorry if I asked something about encoding problems here. Maybe it'd be useful to open a thread only about people's samples and left this to comment PMP Mod problems.