Programming Help

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

nathanmoon

Programming Help

Post by nathanmoon »

all i noe is that the psp relies on the Famous C Programming code..
i need help to find a place where i could learn the basics of programming...
i am a complete noob at programming but i am good at computing..
pls HELP ASAP!!
-NM23-
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

Step 1: Open web browser
Step 2: Type in google.com as the URL
Step 3: Search for C programming tutorials
Step 4: Read, learn on a PC and come back when you have experience in coding on a simple platform.

Not wanting to sound callous but the PSP is really not the best place to start learning low level C programming. Its debugging capabilities is limited, it is hardware limited (RAM etc.) and you will only have more trouble that just learning C.

If you really want to do some stuff on the PSP then perhaps look into LUAPlayer which uses the language LUA which hides a lot of the pain from you.
nathanmoon

RE:Programming Help

Post by nathanmoon »

TyRaNiD wrote:If you really want to do some stuff on the PSP then perhaps look into LUAPlayer which uses the language LUA which hides a lot of the pain from you.
i've tried looking for the tutorials but i end up getting the same things...they do not teach me the basics of programming...pls help!!
-NM23-
PosX100

Re: Programming Help

Post by PosX100 »

nathanmoon wrote:all i noe is that the psp relies on the Famous C Programming code..
pls HELP ASAP!!
Programming isn't for you , better find something else to waste your time...
nathanmoon

Post by nathanmoon »

PosX100 wrote:
nathanmoon wrote:all i noe is that the psp relies on the Famous C Programming code..
pls HELP ASAP!!
Programming isn't for you , better find something else to waste your time...
but i plan to become a computer programmer in the near future...i cant back off now..
-NM23-
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

We don't teach programming here. Go google for places that do. There are THOUSANDS of web pages out there to help beginners learn to program. Go bug them and don't come back until you're not a beginner. If you need lessons, you really shouldn't be here. This is a DEVELOPER site, not a school of programming.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

You cant become a programmer all in one day. It takes time.
We can help you with psp, but its not good to start of on the psp. Google "Basic C Tutorial", and start from there.

And when you learn basic of C and how to use it, then let us know.
nathanmoon

Post by nathanmoon »

J.F. wrote:We don't teach programming here. Go google for places that do. There are THOUSANDS of web pages out there to help beginners learn to program. Go bug them and don't come back until you're not a beginner. If you need lessons, you really shouldn't be here. This is a DEVELOPER site, not a school of programming.
i came to this site coz TyRaNiD suggested it in his vid..i didnt noe that ppl here dont help other users to try to be a part of something big...do not underestimate ppl man..
Dariusc123456 wrote:You cant become a programmer all in one day. It takes time.
We can help you with psp, but its not good to start of on the psp. Google "Basic C Tutorial", and start from there.

And when you learn basic of C and how to use it, then let us know.
thx dude...
-NM23-
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

nathanmoon wrote:
J.F. wrote:We don't teach programming here. Go google for places that do. There are THOUSANDS of web pages out there to help beginners learn to program. Go bug them and don't come back until you're not a beginner. If you need lessons, you really shouldn't be here. This is a DEVELOPER site, not a school of programming.
i came to this site coz TyRaNiD suggested it in his vid..i didnt noe that ppl here dont help other users to try to be a part of something big...do not underestimate ppl man..
This has nothing to do with anyone's estimation. TyRaNiD suggested developers interested in working on the PSP come here, not beginners looking to learn how to program. If you can learn how to program (elsewhere) in two days, I'll be glad to see you again in two days. I was just making it clear that we here are not going to be the ones teaching you how to program.
nathanmoon

Post by nathanmoon »

J.F. wrote:
nathanmoon wrote:
This has nothing to do with anyone's estimation. TyRaNiD suggested developers interested in working on the PSP come here, not beginners looking to learn how to program. If you can learn how to program (elsewhere) in two days, I'll be glad to see you again in two days. I was just making it clear that we here are not going to be the ones teaching you how to program.
i was hoping that u all could give me the correct tools required to develop a EBOOT...i will learn the programming language later but i need the tools first..can u help??
-NM23-
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

nathanmoon wrote: i was hoping that u all could give me the correct tools required to develop a EBOOT...i will learn the programming language later but i need the tools first..can u help??
Well, I think the tools should come AFTERWARDS (since you can't use them until you know how), but I guess there's no harm in getting them first. If you're in Windows, use the devkit put together by Heimdall: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9812

If you're in linux, do the following in a terminal:

Code: Select all

svn co svn://svn.ps2dev.org/psp/trunk/psptoolchain
and then follow the directions in the readme-ubuntu.txt file. The instructions can be applied to virtually any distro as they're all rather similar. Then make the libraries by doing:

svn co svn://svn.ps2dev.org/psp/trunk/psplibraries
cd psplibraries
./libraries.sh
nathanmoon

Post by nathanmoon »

J.F. wrote:
nathanmoon wrote: i was hoping that u all could give me the correct tools required to develop a EBOOT...i will learn the programming language later but i need the tools first..can u help??
Well, I think the tools should come AFTERWARDS (since you can't use them until you know how), but I guess there's no harm in getting them first. If you're in Windows, use the devkit put together by Heimdall: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9812

If you're in linux, do the following in a terminal:

svn co svn://svn.ps2dev.org/psp/trunk/psptoolchain
and then follow the directions in the readme-ubuntu.txt file. The instructions can be applied to virtually any distro as they're all rather similar. Then make the libraries by doing:

svn co svn://svn.ps2dev.org/psp/trunk/psplibraries
cd psplibraries
./libraries.sh
thx a lot dude..btw, just one more question
how to u turn a .lua file into a EBOOT.PBP file???
-NM23-
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

nathanmoon wrote:just one more question
You don't. Lua is a scripted language that is interpreted. The main interpreter used by most folks for "stand-alone" Lua apps is luaplayer. You give your Lua script the "right" name and put it in the same directory as the luaplayer EBOOT and it will interpret the script.
nathanmoon

Post by nathanmoon »

J.F. wrote:
You don't. Lua is a scripted language that is interpreted. The main interpreter used by most folks for "stand-alone" Lua apps is luaplayer. You give your Lua script the "right" name and put it in the same directory as the luaplayer EBOOT and it will interpret the script.
then how to i turn my HELLO WORLD lua script into an EBOOT for the CFW 5.00 M33???
-NM23-
jsharrad

Post by jsharrad »

nathanmoon wrote: then how to i turn my HELLO WORLD lua script into an EBOOT for the CFW 5.00 M33???
J.F. wrote:
You don't. [snip]
QFE
/facepalm
nathanmoon

Post by nathanmoon »

jsharrad wrote:
nathanmoon wrote:
J.F. wrote: You don't. Lua is a scripted language that is interpreted. The main interpreter used by most folks for "stand-alone" Lua apps is luaplayer. You give your Lua script the "right" name and put it in the same directory as the luaplayer EBOOT and it will interpret the script.
then how to i turn my HELLO WORLD lua script into an EBOOT for the CFW 5.00 M33???
QFE
/facepalm
i'm sorry..i dont understand...pls elaborate??
-NM23-
angelo

Post by angelo »

LUA is LUA.

LUA PSP code runs by loader the PSP LUA player. A LUA scrpit is not converted into an EBOOT, but simply run by it.

To create an EBOOT from scratch, you have to code C/C++.

To excecute your LUA code you need "LUAPlayer" for the PSP.

Good luck with your programming future, you're gonna need it!

Hall of shame guys?

Angelo
hibbyware

Post by hibbyware »

@angelo - There has been worse that has never made it to the hall of shame,

@nathanmoon - Learn PC programming then PSP programming as it will cut the time spent learning basics down a lot,

You could start off with PSP programming but it will just make your time spent learning longer,

C/C++ basics - http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html

This site contains tutorials and is also good for reference - http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/

Setting up cygwin on windows - http://www.psp-programming.com/forums/i ... ,62.0.html

C and LUA on PSP - http://www.psp-programming.com/tutorials/

Also download available source code for other PSP apps once you have your developing environment setup and you have also done some basic tutorials then study it and try to understand it all works,

Welcome to the huge learning curve,
nathanmoon

Post by nathanmoon »

hibbyware wrote:
angelo wrote:Hall of shame guys?

Angelo
@angelo - There has been worse that has never made it to the hall of shame,

@nathanmoon - Learn PC programming then PSP programming as it will cut the time spent learning basics down a lot,

You could start off with PSP programming but it will just make your time spent learning longer,

C/C++ basics - http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html

This site contains tutorials and is also good for reference - http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/

Setting up cygwin on windows - http://www.psp-programming.com/forums/i ... ,62.0.html

C and LUA on PSP - http://www.psp-programming.com/tutorials/

Also download available source code for other PSP apps once you have your developing environment setup and you have also done some basic tutorials then study it and try to understand it all works,

Welcome to the huge learning curve,
@ hibbyware: thx a lot man, very nice of u...

@angelo: dont underestimate ppl..u should let ppl try to be a part of something big..u nvr noe when u might need help..
-NM23-
hibbyware

Post by hibbyware »

@nathanmoon - I may not agree that beginners should be flamed but this is still not a beginners forums,

When you have learned the basics members here will be happy to help with PSP programming related code,

Good luck,
nathanmoon

Post by nathanmoon »

hibbyware wrote:@nathanmoon - I may not agree that beginners should be flamed but this is still not a beginners forums,

When you have learned the basics members here will be happy to help with PSP programming related code,

Good luck,
i guess so..anyways, i was told that the PSP is not the best option to program on...why??
-NM23-
hibbyware

Post by hibbyware »

The reason why people say to learn to code for the PC before the PSP is because...

There is lots more information either free on the internet or even if you want to spend money and buy books,

A lot of things are done a little different on PSP and without the knowledge of how it is meant to be done you will find it harder to work out what is different and more importantly how you need to do it,

I do know people that have started programming on PSP first but most end up making silly mistakes which are covered in the first few chapters of most C/C++ online tutorials or books,

Try not to make the same mistake and start off on a good foot so you don't get confused over what most regular members here class as basics,
nathanmoon

Post by nathanmoon »

hibbyware wrote:The reason why people say to learn to code for the PC before the PSP is because...

There is lots more information either free on the internet or even if you want to spend money and buy books,

A lot of things are done a little different on PSP and without the knowledge of how it is meant to be done you will find it harder to work out what is different and more importantly how you need to do it,

I do know people that have started programming on PSP first but most end up making silly mistakes which are covered in the first few chapters of most C/C++ online tutorials or books,

Try not to make the same mistake and start off on a good foot so you don't get confused over what most regular members here class as basics,
thx for the elaboration man...
u have a team??
-NM23-
hibbyware

Post by hibbyware »

nathanmoon wrote: thx for the elaboration man...
No problem just try to think about that before your next thread, lol

nathanmoon wrote: u have a team??
No I don't and I have no reason to be in one,
nathanmoon

Post by nathanmoon »

hibbyware wrote:
nathanmoon wrote:
hibbyware wrote: No problem just try to think about that before your next thread, lol
u have a team??
No I don't and I have no reason to be in one,
but u should join a team and then work on a project that could be a great project for the scene...dont u think so??
-NM23-
hibbyware

Post by hibbyware »

I already have a few projects on the go,

I don't want to be part of any team I'm happy enough writing all my own code,

As for releasing my projects to the scene well there are other apps already available that do the same type of thing and I won't be adding to "OMG not another shell"

Also this thread has completely gone off topic,
nathanmoon

Post by nathanmoon »

hibbyware wrote:I already have a few projects on the go,

I don't want to be part of any team I'm happy enough writing all my own code,

As for releasing my projects to the scene well there are other apps already available that do the same type of thing and I won't be adding to "OMG not another shell"

Also this thread has completely gone off topic,
thx anyways...
-NM23-