Converting video with no audio track using ffmpeg? Anyone?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

zigzag

Converting video with no audio track using ffmpeg? Anyone?

Post by zigzag »

Does anyone know how to get ffmpeg to convert a video without an audio track to PSP format successfully?
The problem is it converts, looks fine, but on the PSP you get the "black screen" problem, and have to restart the PSP.

Anyone been able to get around this using some ffmpeg options or something?

Just adding an audio track will make it work fine, but a third program such as QuickTime has to be used. I wish to avoid any manual interaction.
M2

Post by M2 »

Have you emailed the author of the application? Or checked the forums?

They are pretty helpful with coming up with solutions.
M2.
senas8

Post by senas8 »

Well from my experience the psp wont play a video without the audio...no matter what encoder I used...I took a raw screen capture that didn't record the audio its just a screen capture, but more like a movie....when I was trying to record something off the net that could not be downloaded...anyways the video had no audio and no luck on the psp..so I added audio...just an mp3 file in Imovie and yes sir eeeeeeeeeeee...was able to play it.
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Yes, I understand it does not play videos without audio, but I need an automated way to add that audio track. I'll try the ffmpeg forums.
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

M2 wrote:Have you emailed the author of the application? Or checked the forums?

They are pretty helpful with coming up with solutions.
Ack... looks like I have to wait 2 days to post. Any chance you could paste my post into there? It would be much appreciated if possible :)

Thanks,

~zig
M2

Post by M2 »

zigzag wrote:Yes, I understand it does not play videos without audio, but I need an automated way to add that audio track. I'll try the ffmpeg forums.
You want to add an audio track (maybe silence?) to the video you are encoding? Maybe I slightly misunderstood the original post.

In ffmpegX, under the Audio tab, in the lower right, you can 'Add Audio'. You can typically select an .aiff or .wav file, and it will merge the data into the MP4 file. I've had to do this will files I've extracted from the iTunes Music Store. ffmpegX can't read Apple's AAC encoding for the mp4 files, but QuickTime can (obviously) and I would export the audio as a .wav, and add it in the ffmpegX process.

Hope this sheds a little light...
M2.
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Yes, but this is ffmpegX... but I wonder if there is a parameter for ffmpeg itself to add a track when there isn't one, ie. force an audio track. Because from what I can tell, there is no reliable way to check whether a particular video has an audio track or not (non-interactively) :-/