PSP ELF files.

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Thanhda

PSP ELF files.

Post by Thanhda »

\As for elf files, this is a standard file format, much like an exe, and is not really a revelation.

However, as you have no homebrew games of your own I would imagine your projected porting effort approaches zero. This means you can go ahead immediately.
what makes you think i dont have a homebrew game of my own. i have already started porting my opengl game to ps2 using dreamgl and the ps2 sdk. right now all i got is a 3d model moving in space. my original ogl engine has a md2 model running in a static 3d mesh for a world with colision detection. so porting the code to the psp would not be at zero, unless they happen to have the exact same libs as the pc. i just wanted to know heads up whether or not the ps2 and psp code is similar or not. and if i where to code something in ps2 can it work in the psp. since after all it accepts psp file format.

here the link to the official Dev Web site with the specs from CW (not piracy site)
http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Develop/Games/PSP.htm
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Seriously, dude... I have a hard time believing you're capable of compiling code yet. I don't even understand what your point is other than to grunt 'codewarrior' and scratch your head.

I mean, look... here's information from the page you've linked to:
C/C++ Compiler/Libraries
• ANSI-compliant C/C++ compiler
• ANSI-standard runtime libraries for C/C++ (MSL)
• GNU Build Tool Adapters
Oho! It looks like it uses C and C++, just like the ps2dev toolchain. They've even sprung for ANSI standard compliance. Amazingly, it is also using GNU build tools!
Linker
• C/C++ linker
• Link object code into ELF format
Uh oh, there's that ELF format again. Let's ask google about it...

http://www.cs.ucdavis.edu/~haungs/paper/node10.html
The three main types of ELF files are executable, relocatable, and shared object files. These file types hold the code, data, and information about the program that the operating system and/or link editor need to perform the appropriate actions on these files. The three types of files are summarized as follows:

* An executable file supplies information necessary for the operating system to create a process image suitable for executing the code and accessing the data contained within the file.

* A relocatable file describes how it should be linked with other object files to create an executable file or shared library.

* A shared object file contains information needed in both static and dynamic linking.
What does all this mean? Well, in this specific case it looks like ELF files are containers that can hold compiled code ready to be executed on your favorite platform.

Does this mean you can just run a PS2 elf on a PSP? No, because of the special word, compiled. This means that you'd have to compile a new program for the PSP, much like you're doing a new one for the PS2. It isn't a matter of just running it. Did you try to run a windows program on your PS2? No, that would be silly! Right?

So what does that make trying to run a PS2 program on a PSP?

I thought so.

(next time, a private message would spare you the public part of this interchange)
pixel

Post by pixel »

W00t! Canadian civil war!

/me takes popcorn and sits down
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
Neila

Post by Neila »

lol =)

maybe one is from the west, and the other from the east ;)

/me takes some low carb snacks and joins
manasol

Post by manasol »

Probably BS
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

to: oopo

i am more then capable of getting the code to compile. i have even manage to add animation for the 3d models(very buggy but still animates) and moving around the screen. i'll upload my elf file up for downloads so you can see what i have done. I may have had a hard time to get it to work, but doesnt mean i dont know how to compile. the main reason it didnt compile was because i was using knoppix. as soon as i installed fedora, it worked like nothing.
Last edited by Thanhda on Mon May 02, 2005 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

ooPo wrote: Does this mean you can just run a PS2 elf on a PSP? No, because of the special word, compiled. This means that you'd have to compile a new program for the PSP, much like you're doing a new one for the PS2. It isn't a matter of just running it. Did you try to run a windows program on your PS2? No, that would be silly! Right?

So what does that make trying to run a PS2 program on a PSP?

I thought so.

(next time, a private message would spare you the public part of this interchange)
alright then, you didnt have to be so rude about it. thanks anyway.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Sometimes pointed words are required to pierce a thick veil.

I'm glad understanding could be reached. :)
jason

Post by jason »

Domo-kun!