psp lcd

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

taconinjas

psp lcd

Post by taconinjas »

does anyone know the lcd pinout for the psp's screen? i have one and i want to install it in something else, but i need to know the pinout. i don't have the tools or the knowledge to figure this out on my own. i might even consider a reward for this. if you remove the screen from the psp there is a peice of film( i don't know what it is called) attached to the bottom. these are the connectors the plug into the motherboard of the psp. there are about 30 or so pins on the film and 2 different plugs. i want to install the screen in something else
but i need to know the function of each pin.(ie
1: GND
2: +5v
3: CONTRAST
4: CS/RS CS/SS
5: sid/rw NA mosi?
6: SCLK/E SCK
7: SOD/LSB MISO?
8-16: NA 4/8 use
17: +LED BACKLIGHT
18: - LED BACKLIGHT etc......... )

i know this is a diificult thing to figure out and i don't think anyone has figured this out yet. but good luck to anyone that has the knowledge and the tools. i would even be willing to donate a psp motherboard to someone who has these things for testing purposes.
dyzophoria

Post by dyzophoria »

uhm i think you can't just decipher the 30 or so contacts on the film, the psp lcd works like a laptop lcd, it is custom made to the unit and has it's own LCD controller to drive the lcd.. , one thing is to know the pinout, another is to have the knowledge to make the controller to work..
EdZ

Post by EdZ »

Try looking for a serial number on the LCD itself, and googling that. There might be a whitepaper for it floating about.
saidinknight

Post by saidinknight »

I'm also interested to know if someone here can point him in the right direction for this. I've been wondering what it would be like to remove a psp lcd for use in another application, and I recently managed to salvage an lcd screen from a toshiba e310, unfortunately I have no clue where to begin. Haven't googled for the psp lcd serial, but I couldn't find much for e310 lcd panel.
the future is open.
DigitalFoundry

Post by DigitalFoundry »

The PSP's screen is a Sharp K3146.

Doesn't the PSP use a standard LVDS connection? I was of the belief that the Sharp LCD was an 'off the shelf' component rather than one designed especially for the PSP.

taconinjas: any chance of photos of the connection on the mainboard and on the LCD?
Nick Fury

Post by Nick Fury »

From Sharp's Electronics Website:
Q I am trying to find out the datasheet of your electronic components which could be removed from an end-product. As I would like to reuse it for individual purpose, please send me the datasheet.

A Basically, we don't provide any technical information of electronic components which was used for consumer products once except for actual buyers.
silverbyte

Post by silverbyte »

try :

http://pinouts.ru/

they have specs on MANY MANY pinouts. EXCEPT... the psp lcd is pretty exculsive to PSP as far as i know and even if you do find something on the pinout for the LCD the information will be limited
DigitalFoundry

Post by DigitalFoundry »

Nothing on that website :(

However, if you Google "PSP K3146" you should be able to find mainboard pics of the TFT including the LCD connector.

Looks like a bit more than 30 pins to me...
taconinjas

Post by taconinjas »

i've already googled the serial but still no answers. there might be more than 30 pins. i haven't sat down and counted. i need some real info for this project. i don't want to risk frying the lcd by using crappy methods of trying to test it. like i said, i don't have the tools or knowledge to do this any other way. besides, has anyone else ever tried to solder on that film stuff? not easy by any means. i think thats why sony uses the film instead of wires. less flexibility as far as what you can actually do with it. htis is just a pain in the ass. the lcd is sitting right in front of me, but it is so useless as far as anything but the psp. until someone figures this out. maybe if the video out connectors ever come into being, we might be on step further in the right direction.
MelGibson

Post by MelGibson »

I heavily urge you NOT to solder directly on that film stuff..... rather get the appropiate female connector you can plug the film stuff in and solder on the female conector.... 'cause using the hot solder on the thin film will burn = destroy the film connector imho
taconinjas

Post by taconinjas »

where could i get a female connector that would fit?