Good place to learn C that might be PSP friendly?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

hexperience

Good place to learn C that might be PSP friendly?

Post by hexperience »

Hi All,

I've been reading like mad, both to refresh my C and to learn both PS2 and PSP dev.

I would like to do some simple C graphics stuff on plain linux first. I have found lots of "how to program graphics for X Windows" info, but I was hoping someone might know of some material that might be a bit lower level.

For example, if I learn how to put pixels directly into a PC/Linux screen buffer, that would help me with PSP dev more than learning how to open an X window object right? I want to bridge the gap between helloworld.c and actually using screen buffers.

Any links would be most helpful.
Cheers
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

http://wiki.pspdev.org/psp:programming_faq

Go there, get the toolchain and the PSPSDK, then look at the samples in the SDK. There are plenty of good samples that will get you started.
Lego of my Ago!
liquid8d

Post by liquid8d »

I would suggest refreshing on general C first, and if you are ok on that, then just look over the PSPSDK samples and includes... I just started learning C for psp programming, and as soon as I picked up the general language stuff, the samples provided, and the help from users on the forum are more than enough to get you going. Good luck.

LiQuiD8d

p.s. I would like to see a few links of some good C tutorials hopefully, but I doubt that will happen as this is not a 'learn how to program' forum :)
Shine

Post by Shine »

Learning C might be useful for low-level PSP programming or your daily work, but if you just want to program for PSP instead of learning how to setup a Unix built environment and how to use make etc., you should take a look at my Lua Player.
Arwin

Re: Good place to learn C that might be PSP friendly?

Post by Arwin »

hexperience wrote:Hi All,

I've been reading like mad, both to refresh my C and to learn both PS2 and PSP dev.

I would like to do some simple C graphics stuff on plain linux first. I have found lots of "how to program graphics for X Windows" info, but I was hoping someone might know of some material that might be a bit lower level.

For example, if I learn how to put pixels directly into a PC/Linux screen buffer, that would help me with PSP dev more than learning how to open an X window object right? I want to bridge the gap between helloworld.c and actually using screen buffers.

Any links would be most helpful.
Cheers
If you don't want to go to the PSP directly, you could always try deving for a stable emulator. There must be a few out there that are similar and support direct screen pixeling...
rinco

Post by rinco »

Or use SDL and other libs that have been ported to PSP. Stick to using joystick as an input and 480x272 as a resolution. Once you have your code written, you will find it is easy to port to PSP (having code also helps buy assistance).

Although the PSP port of SDL is not perfect, it currently supports all the standard stuff plus various image formats (eg png), audio formats (eg wav) and font rendering (ie ttf).

And it's also ported to Ps2.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

For lower level graphics, look for SDL tutorials (2d SDL graphics are done directly to the framebuffer) and Denthor's Asphyxia tutorials, a bunch of classic files on all kinds of graphical weirdness. The Asphyxia stuff is up on gamedev.net.
-ReK