How close are we to a native PSP linux?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

chameleon_789

How close are we to a native PSP linux?

Post by chameleon_789 »

what the subject said.. there was word of it for a while but from searching around, the last time it was mentioned was in march.. :( Is anyone from these forums working on this or something similar?

Would you experienced coders say this is a hard project to undertake (apart from the very obvious yes)? How would you go about even starting a task like that, and would there be any downfalls in terms of the speed of apps? I'm assuming stuff like video/ethernet drivers would be fairly easy to set up but what about the actual port itself, could you just modify a current version of linux a little (modding the kernel and adding p-sprint or something along those lines) and compile it for a MIPS processor? I know I'm probably sounding like a noob here :D

I'm asking because I'd love to be able to code psp apps straight from the PSP using an irda keyboard, plus features like ftp, browsers, compilers etc make it seem like the obvious choice in terms of being able to control everything from one homebrew app..
seventoes

Post by seventoes »

Well right now i think the closest we are is using Boch's (or something) processor emulator ported over to psp, but we can only get to the logon screen since the person who ported it never wrote something for a keyboard, and never released the source so we cant add one.