Are there any good tutorials for PSPGL?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Barts_706

Are there any good tutorials for PSPGL?

Post by Barts_706 »

I have looked for them, but the only things I manged to find so far are the demos on the PSPGL webpage.

Probably that's just the way it is, but if anyone knows a good place that I might have missed (some particulary interesting forum discussion or anything else), I would be grateful for poiting it out to me.
jsgf

Post by jsgf »

There isn't much specific to PSPGL. There's the stuff in pspgl/tests directory, and a couple of other demos, and some real program (rRootage, for example).

But in general my intention is to make PSPGL familiar to OpenGL programmers (if not actually identical to real OpenGL), so lots of the HeNe and other tutorials should work with little modification. And I'm always willing to consider additions to PSPGL to make it more useful.
Barts_706

Post by Barts_706 »

So you are actually person behind it, right?
[sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I am releatively new to the PSP scene]

Well, I have already used OpenGL in combination with C++ for my visualisation programs, but I used mostly relatively basic and easy elements of it : display lists, basic lighting, basic shading, basic transparencies. No exquisite texturing, no more complicated matters. Objects mostly composed of triangle strips and fans. Generally I cannot claim to be an OpenGL expert.

I have read the information on http://www.goop.org/psp/gl/ and saw that the display lists mechanism (which I always thought of as a manner of speeding things up) is not present in the implementation of GL on PSP, and then a lot of things I mostly haven't even heard of before, so I admit I got a bit scared and was looking for some easy-going source to introduce me to how to use it on PSP.

So I guess I'll just download it, try to add it to my programs, compile examples and learn the hard way.

BTW, are there any particular twists in installing PSPGL?
jsgf

Post by jsgf »

Barts_706 wrote:So you are actually person behind it, right?
Yup.
Well, I have already used OpenGL in combination with C++ for my visualisation programs, but I used mostly relatively basic and easy elements of it : display lists, basic lighting, basic shading, basic transparencies. No exquisite texturing, no more complicated matters. Objects mostly composed of triangle strips and fans. Generally I cannot claim to be an OpenGL expert.
Looks like you're well prepared for PSPGL though...
I have read the information on http://www.goop.org/psp/gl/ and saw that the display lists mechanism (which I always thought of as a manner of speeding things up) is not present in the implementation of GL on PSP, and then a lot of things I mostly haven't even heard of before, so I admit I got a bit scared and was looking for some easy-going source to introduce me to how to use it on PSP.

So I guess I'll just download it, try to add it to my programs, compile examples and learn the hard way.
Yep. PSPGL is modelled on the OpenGL/ES subset, rather than full OpenGL. Things like display lists are very complex to implement, and even harder to make go fast. In principle a display list could give very high performance, but in general you can get there with other mechanisms.

In PSPGL, the vertex array is your friend. The extensions I've implemented in PSPGL, like vertex buffer objects, are mostly standard (ie, you'll find them on a desktop OpenGL), and you'll be able to get very close to 100% of the PSP's raw capabilities if you use them correctly.

Even plain old vertex arrays will get you better performance than plain old glBegin/End.
BTW, are there any particular twists in installing PSPGL?
"make install" should do it, assuming you have a current (SVN) version of the SDK and toolchain installed.
Barts_706

Post by Barts_706 »

Thanks for your replies. I'll try to meddle a bit with it and see what comes out. It is good to know that the author is here, so I already know where to ask my questions (surely there will be some).

Regards,