Debugging .. stepping through code

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jejacks0n

Debugging .. stepping through code

Post by jejacks0n »

Ok, I've done a little (and I honestly mean a little) reading on the forums and this is my question:

I've noticed that there's a thread that explains setting up an environment that will allows debug tracing (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=2493), and I've also noticed that there's a thread for setting up with VS.NET -- and it seems that the two steps can be combined to work together.

Does anyone have experience with these/this setup, and feedback about their experience? I'm willing to do the setup, but wanted some feedback about it as well.

Has anyone experimented with the PSP emulator, and does it have hooks for debugging without having a PSP connected? Meaning, can I use the emulator to step debug/trace my code?

These are two important questions to me when considering what platform to develop for.

Any feedback would be great! Also, thanks in advance, and a serious thank you to those that have contributed to the sdk and information on this site.
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

what psp emulator?
jejacks0n

Post by jejacks0n »

Well, that's not the sort of helpfull feedback I was expecting, but I'm making progress regardless. I assume legitimate people asking for help is often ignored because of so much silliness and beginner types of questions. *sigh*.. Oh well, I just wanted to know what people thought of those environments.

The emulator can be found at the link below.
PSPE - http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pspe.htm
Zettablade

Post by Zettablade »

what's the point of using an emulator? Just use psplink. And cygwin has it's own debugging stuff.
Really, if you like a good, fun challenge, the best thing to dev on is prolly the psp.
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

i was asking because...well... pspe can be hardly considered a psp emulator. unless you are writing trivial programs that dont do anything, dont use it.
Aion

Post by Aion »

What I personally did, was to slowly build an engine that works on both DirectX and on the Psp, with only the bottom layer beeing hardware specific.

Makes life a whole lot easier if working on a bigger project, lots more debugging capabilities. I run my program on VisualC++ and once a new feature works and is debugged, I try it on the Psp.