Ok, I REALLY need help getting back into PSP development...

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

omegagames

Ok, I REALLY need help getting back into PSP development...

Post by omegagames »

So I'm not 100% new to the concept of psp homebrew. I've done it, I entered into a contest here a while back, but its been a LONG time, and I pretty much gave up the psp for good.

Until now. I just found out (or was reminded) that psp has infrared, and I want to play around with that big time... so it's time to dust of the old unit and dive back in. I need a few things answered, cause I'm quite behind the times, and google sucks as far as chronology goes.

Questions:
Do I still have to use the toolchain thing inside of cygwin? I took a class that overwrote that for doing palm pilot apps, so I would basically need to reinstall the whole thing again... (or is there something like a dev c++ plugin for creating the programs -- I would LOVE that... but im not getting my hopes up)

What firmware should I have? I have one of the first versions of the custom firmware, my friend just told me about it and upgraded me... otherwise I'd still be on like 2.1

What can we do that we couldn't before? Or a better question -- is there a good psp programming tutorial anywhere? When I did my last game, it was just me writing to the video memory directly cause I couldn't decipher the graphics library...

Anyway, I don't need all the answers, I just need to know where to start, what good resources are, etc.

Thank you to anyone who helps...
Energy

Post by Energy »

Hey -

To my knowledge it's still with the toolchain and cygwin, (http://dev.oopo.net/#PSP - there's the latest chain, although I'm having problems getting this to work in Cygwin or Ubuntu. Seems to be just my machine tho).

Playing with the IR port is easy enough. There are a few examples thrown about, i'm sure if you search this forum you'll find some older threads with it in.

Current firmware of choice for most homebrewers is 3.30 OEB (is it b now I can't remember). There is a 3.40 OEA however some have said that this has issues with some homebrew. Sony have released a 3.50 firmware.

As for what can now be done... well people are playing with the GPS and other add ons. You can use the PSP's GU. Pretty much close to an open road!

Well from what I know ^_^
omegagames

Post by omegagames »

A couple more questions:

1) Is it better to develop on Linux than Windows (i've been meaning to get ubuntu running anyway)?

2) Where can I find a good emulator? (there never was one when I developed that worked 100% [or 60%], every compile had to be usb'd over, go into the hack, then run the eboot... though when the eLoader got USB abilities, that was pretty good) Preferrably, the platform that this emu runs on should match your answer to (1) :P

3) Can anyone give a bit more info on the different firmwares? What is OEA and OEB? Also, does the number correspond in any way to Sony's firmware release numbers? Finally, what can't I do with the custom firmware that I can do with the Official ones?

Thats all, thanks everyone... sorry I've devolved back to n00b!
Viper8896

Post by Viper8896 »

1) linux is a better os but cygwin-windows is less likly to have compile errors

2)nowhwere just use the real thing

3)3.40oe-a is dark alex's latest custom firmware. If he makes another custom firmware based on 3.40 it wil be 3.40oe-b. http://dark-alex.org/index.php?Dark_Alex=firm
omegagames

Post by omegagames »

2) ok, I saw a screenshot somewhere that was running on an emulator, and just hoped for the best... oh well.

Guess theres nothin left to do but program... so im off!
zilt

Post by zilt »

1) Linux

2) Use psplink - no need to copy the eboot/elf over any more. Plus, remote debugging works great with psp-gdb
Wally

Post by Wally »

1) Either Linux or Mac OS X

2) There is an emulator thats WIP by noxa that can be found here
http://code.google.com/p/pspplayer/ however it needs compiling

You should use PSPlink though, it does a fine job. basically all you do is plonk an elf into the directory and run it. it will appear on the PSP screen but the directory on the computer will be your PSP memory stick.

3. 3.40 OE is the most recent Dark Alex Firmware which combines 1.50 and 3.40 subsets to make it one big firmware which you can switch between by simply changing the options in recovery mode. You can do everything that the official Firmware can do except maybe use Location Free Player / Remote Play (you can reflash) . 3.03 is now out of date.. only reason people recommend it is because it can be customised easily ((replacing Icons etc) which i doubt you would be interested in however it can be done in 3.40OE.
I wish you luck mate :)