Alpha blending, hardware acceleration

Discuss using and improving Lua and the Lua Player specific to the PSP.

Moderators: Shine, Insert_witty_name

Durante

Post by Durante »

Hey jsgf, any idea when/if/how you'll add render to texture? It's the one thing I need to make my pspGL-based LuaPlayer clearly superior in all ways to the default ;)

I hope you aren't thinking about implementing pBuffers to enable RTT, as I believe that they're far too complex for something that should be quite easy on PSP. I'd even argue that the new framebuffer object extension is overkill. Anyway, thanks for your great work on pspGL.
jsgf

Post by jsgf »

RTT is very high on my list of things to do. The 3 API choices are PBuffers, ARB_framebuffer_object and OES_framebuffer_object. I haven't looked into these APIs in detail yet, but I'm suspecting that the OES extension will be the most practical.

Internally, almost all the infrastructure is in place now; the big missing piece is adding dynamic resource management, so PSPGL can shuffle things between VRAM and system memory. The current VRAM allocator was really only intended for allocating a few framebuffers, and I'm probably already overloading it with texture allocations (PSPGL will try to allocate textures in VRAM first, and fall back to system memory once that's full).

I implemented a limited form of RTT last night, as part of automatic mipmap generation; there don't seem to be any arbitrary limitations in the hardware (it can go down to a 1x1 framebuffer, for example).
Durante

Post by Durante »

Great!
I'm very familiar (more so than is healthy, probably) with both pBuffers and the FBO extension (and its 30 author-monster-specification ;)) as I used them in implementing my bachelor's thesis project (GPGPU related). However, I haven't heard of the OES extension as I never did embedded dev before. Now after I read up on it I agree that it looks like the best choice by far.