SIXAXIS under Windows

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

89ron

Post by 89ron »

If you see switching 0 to 1, btsix is properly connected.

Check PPJOY install.
cyberfix

Post by cyberfix »

89ron wrote:If you see switching 0 to 1, btsix is properly connected.

Check PPJOY install.
Any chance of a new version coming out soon? I have been wanting to use it with multiple controllers, but I keep seeing messages with people having issues with controllers constantly vibrating.

Thanks!
sman26

Post by sman26 »

phoenon.

just wanted to say thanks.
can i just throw out one more thing? i saw in the youtube video of the guy who got this to work and he was using it almost like a mouse to navigate the desktop and choose programs etc. All I can do it use it as a game pad within my emulator, etc. How do i make it work like a mouse?

Thanks again all.
89ron

Post by 89ron »

BtSix 1.5 coming soon:

For Gamers: - Rumble/Vibration mode. (Beta)
For Dev/Students: - Share data with a Dll.
steve0

Post by steve0 »

It seems not to be exposed by the driver. At least I cannot see it in the controller panel.
Lupin Saiko

Post by Lupin Saiko »

I was just wondering, in the midst of all this Bluetooth action, is there a better drive out for using it via USB? Or do the BT ones also work for that? Because currently on my DS3, very few games want to work with the fact the D-Pad is buttons instead of a HAT Switch. Thanks.
phoenon

Post by phoenon »

sman26 wrote:phoenon.

just wanted to say thanks.
can i just throw out one more thing? i saw in the youtube video of the guy who got this to work and he was using it almost like a mouse to navigate the desktop and choose programs etc. All I can do it use it as a game pad within my emulator, etc. How do i make it work like a mouse?

Thanks again all.
Test with Xpadder
mohbana

Post by mohbana »

feels like i am being totally ignored.
phoenon

Post by phoenon »

mohbana wrote:hey guys please help us getting the 64bit working.
By my side no x64 installed sorry!
edaciousx

Post by edaciousx »

mohbana wrote:feels like i am being totally ignored.
sigh :(. i want it to work with USB too....
Not_Found

Post by Not_Found »

Wondering if anyone else has this problem... I've encountered some programs (so far Jnes and ZSNES) that are not recognizing the button assigned to Digital 0 in PPJoy, while it works fine in others. Is there some kind of fix or workaround I could do on my end, or is this some kind of limitation in these emulators?

Also, I find that every time I make a change to anything in PPJoy, Windows no longer detects input from the controller until I restart. Any way around this?
sman26

Post by sman26 »

Great work everyone.
I was able to get everything hooked up right. Followed the TindyTim guide.
Running the 0.1.10.1 libusb driver
Used PPJoy to make a virtual controller.
Ran the BtSix 1.4a to get the XP Driver.
Running BtSix.beta.0.5.0.1 to pair the SixAxis controller to my DLink adapter.
I see my controller and it responds in the Control Panel --> Game Controllers in XP Pro but it takes a second to react on the calibrate screen which also means it reacts slow in emulators as well. Frustrating playing games with that lag.

Even tried the TASK MGR --> SET BTSIX.EXE to REALTIME that I believe was a problem with v1.2. Doesn't make a difference.

Any ideas how to make it instantaneous?
Tindytim

Post by Tindytim »

Not_Found wrote:Wondering if anyone else has this problem... I've encountered some programs (so far Jnes and ZSNES) that are not recognizing the button assigned to Digital 0 in PPJoy, while it works fine in others. Is there some kind of fix or workaround I could do on my end, or is this some kind of limitation in these emulators?

Also, I find that every time I make a change to anything in PPJoy, Windows no longer detects input from the controller until I restart. Any way around this?
I've had this issue also, just switch Digital 0 and Digital 16. Also, you can make changes, just restart BtSix and they will work. There doesn't appear to be any way around that (if that was what you were talking about).
sman26

latency

Post by sman26 »

hello 89ron.

I figured out a little more what my issue with the latency is.
When I run BtSix 1.4a i get no latency what so ever with the sixaxis. However, when I run BtSix.beta.0.5.0.1 so that I can run 2 sixaxis controllers i suddenly get latency. Is this a know bug with the BtSix version that allows mulitple controllers or is there something more I can tweak? 2 controllers running at realtime would be rad.

Thanks a bunch.
edaciousx

Post by edaciousx »

still no development on the vista 64 bit usb drivers.....
Not_Found

Post by Not_Found »

I've had this issue also, just switch Digital 0 and Digital 16. Also, you can make changes, just restart BtSix and they will work. There doesn't appear to be any way around that (if that was what you were talking about).
Thanks a lot, swapping the inputs worked.

And I see that restarting BtSix does indeed pick up the changes in PPJoy. I think I hadn't yet realized that that BtSix just went to the taskbar and stayed open when the window was closed.

It took quite a lot of web crawling to find this, but it's working like a charm! Many thanks to 89ron and everyone else contributing to this project! Looking forward to future updates.
Brandon

Post by Brandon »

89ron since btsix doesn't want to work here, and I don't like freebt too, can you give us some more info on the rumble mode of the dualshock3? I want to try to make it working with just usb connection
Canti

Post by Canti »

Nice job on this! I appreciate it a lot! :)
One question though, I notice there is still a tiny bit of latency, and this can sometimes even fluctuate. Is this something that will be improved on?
milousebw

Post by milousebw »

Any news concerning the new version 89ron ?? Thanks for your soft, is working great ;)
Shadelancer

Btsix

Post by Shadelancer »

Don't wanna hijack the thread or anything, just wanted to see if I could get a quick answer. I had set up btsix 1.4a, and had successfully paired/used my ps3 controller with games/etc before. Installed windows xp again, and now, I can use the usb conncection to use my sixaxis, but even after installing the freebt driver, and pairing successfully, when i hit the ps button on my sixaxis (with btsix running) all I get is the 4 led's flashing on my controller, and my bluetooth indicator light on my dongle flashing - but it never makes a connection... then both turn off (well, dongle light goes solid) Ideas / help?

Edit: So as a funny/wierd note: The bluetooth adapter I used in my old version of xp, doesnt work in this version with the freebt driver, but the other adapter I have (exact same brand/name/type) with a different address works perfectly.. Bizarre. Thanks for "all" the help/suggestions!
Last edited by Shadelancer on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mohbana

Post by mohbana »

edaciousx wrote:still no development on the vista 64 bit usb drivers.....
oniz

Sixaxis or DS3?

Post by oniz »

I don't have a ps3 but I would like to buy a ps3 controller for playing games on my PC.
Should I get a dual shock 3 or just a sixaxis as they are both the same price on amazon?

If I understand right, the only difference between the dual shock 3 and the sixaxis controller is that the ds3 has in addition to the motion sensor, the rumble technologie. Am I right?
How will the rumble technology perform on pc games?
I believe there might be some issues with the driver with a ds3? If so and if there is no point using the rumble tech on pc I might just get the sixaxis.

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks and thank you 89ron for you great work!
milousebw

Post by milousebw »

No, the only difference is rumble feature ! The motion sensor is in Sixaxis ! The DS3 work with this driver but the rumble not ! Ron89 speak about a new version which support that but nothing since his message !
oniz

Rumble technologie

Post by oniz »

Which pc games supports the rumble feature?
FalcB

Post by FalcB »

Hi all,

Just wanted to give a big hearty thanks to 89ron for his terrific work on this project and its associated software, and to TindyTim for his excellent how-to guide -- it kept me sane while getting this entire process to work.

Also, I thought I'd add to this forum by pointing out a few possibly useful points which stem from my own adventure in getting my Dual Shock 3 to work with my Windows XP SP3/Toshiba Tecra M7 tablet convertible laptop.

For starters, for those of you who have Toshiba laptops and are trying to use their built-in bluetooth capabilities for this, it might be best not to bother. Specifically, if you've got the "Bluetooth ACPI from TOSHIBA" device listed under "System Devices" in the device manager, you're likely out of luck. (The specific model in my Tecra M7 is TOS6205, according to the Hardware ID under the "Details" tab.) The problem is that Windows refuses to install the FreeBT driver for these adapters, no matter which of the mentioned methods you try from the previous posts on this forum. This goes for the Tecra series especially, but applies to the latest Satellite models as well. You'll probably need to buy a bluetooth USB dongle for this process.

Thanks to friends and family, I've tried the following bluetooth USB dongles and can confirm that each of these work flawlessly with FreeBT:

Iogear: GBU341W6, GBU221, GBU321
D-Link: DBT-120

Each of these can be found anywhere from $20-35 online. I figure it might be useful for everyone who successfully gets this to work to state the USB dongles they're using so that those who need to can buy the appropriate compatible hardware. :)

Next, even though this was mentioned previously by others, I think this is a very important point to emphasize: You need to close BTSix and restart it each time you make changes to the button/axes mapping in PPJoy. That goes for the initial mapping as found in TindyTim's guide as well! BTSix will not recognize these changes until you do this. I frustrated the heck out of myself during that part of the process by not realizing that! Hopefully that little quirk will be fixed by the inclusion of an "Update" button within BTSix or something at some point.

Happy PC/emulation gaming with this wonderful controller!
DomX

Post by DomX »

Has anyone managed to get it working on Vista x64?
Aky

Post by Aky »

89ron said that on a french forum :
- Le 1er souci, c'est que j'ais pas de PC pour faire tourner Vista 64bit.
- Le 2nd souci, comme je te lais dit je n'ais pas les sources de PPJOY donc je ne peux le recompiler pour vista 64bit.
- Le 3e souci, c'est que sous Vista 64bit les drivers doivent être signé numériquement obligatoirement et là ça ne m'étonnerais même pas que Microsoft fasse payer.

Voila, pourquoi d'autres et moi même nous ne pouvons réaliser de version pour Vista 64bit.
Little translation by me:
"-1st thing : I don't have a computer for Vista 64bits
-2nd thing : I don't have the sources of PPJoy, so I can't reprogram it for Vista 64
-3rd thing : In Vista 64, drivers MUST be signed by Microsoft, and that has probable a real cost

So, that's why others and myself can't do a version for Vista 64"

That's it ! Sorry for Vista 64 users
DomX

Post by DomX »

Ow :(
Even though there is a simple way to run unsigned drivers on x64.

What's PPjoy though?
Shadelancer

Post by Shadelancer »

Just wanted to add a quick comment:
If in need of a bluetooth dongle/usb adapter, check out ebay, and do a search for insignia headset - you can usually find the headset/dongle combo (headset is actually pretty nice.) for anywhere from 5-30$ - my friend got one with headset for 10$, free shipping. Not sure why so cheap, but his works as fine as the 60$ combo I bought at Best Buy.

Hope this helps~
mohbana

Post by mohbana »

Aky wrote:89ron said that on a french forum :
-2nd thing : I don't have the sources of PPJoy, so I can't reprogram it for Vista 64
-3rd thing : In Vista 64, drivers MUST be signed by Microsoft, and that has probable a real cost
2. I guess you could ask the owner, if he's willing to port it
3. There's an easy workaround available.

Please help us