Games on memory card

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

VeggieGames

Games on memory card

Post by VeggieGames »

I noticed on the PSP that one of the options for running games is off the memory card. Has anybody looked into this yet? Does it have development potential? Can we make fully fledged games or are they run in some sort of limited environment (ie. Java)?
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Thanks for the tip, Captain Obvious. We'll get right on it!

Everyone! Stop work on the homebrew UMD burner! There's an easier way!

:)
senas8

Post by senas8 »

LOL... You know there is this form on another site..etc....If a new user registers and just jumps to ...do this try that , without first some kind of introduction ...the site Admin would edit his post to something like..."Hi everyone im new here, I was wondering has anyone looked into this or that..etc...
VeggieGames

Post by VeggieGames »

I looked through your forums... no such topic existed that I could find. If it is already being discussed then a link to the topic would be appreciated.

Was anyone going to answer my question? Even a simple "we don't know yet" would suffice... I know there hasn't been much time to work on it yet, I was just wondering about theories/progress/etc...
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

The network update file runs from the memorystick after being downloaded to the /PSP/GAME/UPDATE directory. It is currently the only example we have of a program running directly from the stick. There are a few threads on this forum that look at this PBP file, but here's a nice one to start with:

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=929

As for asking if anyone has looked into it yet or whether it has development potential? The answer to that rhymes with 'snuh'. :)
maester_squall

Post by maester_squall »

I have the file monkey island for psp on my mem card for game menu.. It boots the psp screen but errors after that. I don't know if this has been posted before but if it has then sorry. If not, then i will give the file to anyone who may want it if it will help out.
asmodi

Post by asmodi »

maester_squall wrote:I have the file monkey island for psp on my mem card for game menu.. It boots the psp screen but errors after that. I don't know if this has been posted before but if it has then sorry. If not, then i will give the file to anyone who may want it if it will help out.
Just some guy playing around with the bits in EBOOP and got lucky.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

The EBOOT.PBP file is an archive made up of a few easy to change things like a png file and some music, in addition to the executable itself. All the monkey island file does is change how it looks in the browser. In fact, it probably should still boot into the original update program unless he corrupted that part somehow.
Cogboy

Post by Cogboy »

i think he clipped out most of the file so its around 700kb if i remember correctly.
Awhite

Post by Awhite »

Yes i extracted some of the code so that it's small :P
I also changed the update version, because it won't boot if it's the same version as your psp :P
Yeah i was playing around it with it :P I don't know much of coding :P
Ioannis KarAvas
Hutchy

Post by Hutchy »

wouldnt the file extension .psar suggest its a PlayStation Archive?
MaD-ArTs

Post by MaD-ArTs »

friend of mine told me, he got the kingdom harts game for the GBA on his psp . all he said he did was put the file on his psp where games are. now i dont know what type of file it was or where he got it . but i know this much it can be done.

Post by Guest »

MaD-ArTs wrote:friend of mine told me, he got the kingdom harts game for the GBA on his psp . all he said he did was put the file on his psp where games are. now i dont know what type of file it was or where he got it . but i know this much it can be done.
Anyone can put any file on the PSP. Your friend merely proved the obvious. Your claim that you know the obvious can be done is gratifying.
fireether

Post by fireether »

MaD-ArTs wrote:friend of mine told me, he got the kingdom harts game for the GBA on his psp . all he said he did was put the file on his psp where games are. now i dont know what type of file it was or where he got it . but i know this much it can be done.
Your friend could've downloaded the ROM and placed it on his PSP.

Just doing that will NOT make the game work on the PSP. For starters, there needs to be an emulator that works on the PSP, to even get the game to work. As far as I know, theres no game emulators out for the PSP.

Just because somebody claims something doesnt mean it is what it seems to be.