why no seperate dirs for EE and IOP sample code?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

loser

why no seperate dirs for EE and IOP sample code?

Post by loser »

as the topic says, where aren't there seperate dirs for the IOP and EE code samples?

(i realise that there are currently no IOP samples, but surely we could have an empty IOP dir for now?)

i thinki having seperate dirs would make it handy to easily see examples of coding for each processor.

ill make up a little IOP sample if needed to start off the IOP sample dir.

also is the "$(PS2SDK)/samples/Makefile.pref" file needed? its just got the same defines as "$(PS2SDK)/Defs.make". surely we could just use that file and save duplicating such things. it would also make sure that the recent changes to Defs.make (and any future changes) could be made use of by sample code makefiles.
loser

Post by loser »

oh and wtf is the "ports" dir for?
ports from other systems?!
is it needed?
pixel

Post by pixel »

I actually have started a "skeleton" directory, to store some very very basic examples, that people could copy directly to create softwares for EE and IOP. (I should have called that "templates", but, well)

But for the normal samples dir, yes, one should move that a bit to have a "ee" and "iop" samples, I agree.

And actually, some people rely on that code inside their makefiles:

include $(PS2SDK)/samples/Makefile.pref
include $(PS2SDK)/samples/Makefile.eeglobal

whereas some others put:

include $(PS2SDK)/Defs.make

Removing either of them would break some other softwares. If you prefer, replace samples/Makefile.pref with a simple include $(PS2SDK)/Defs.make
but don't remove it otherewise some softwares won't compile anymore.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.