holds a key

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Neila

holds a key

Post by Neila »

looks a lot like there's is a 128bit key. in the bin
Last edited by Neila on Fri May 06, 2005 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(1 + 1 == 10 ) == true
Histo

Post by Histo »

Looks very promissing.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.......
Neila

Post by Neila »

Actually... there's another interesting thing... it's not encrypted
(1 + 1 == 10 ) == true
Histo

Post by Histo »

Why'd you edit it out of your original post?

It was found completely legally.
lmx

Post by lmx »

? from copied juarez?
Awhite

Post by Awhite »

I guess that makes sense, sony never thought of a bin file coming to anyone's hands..at least any time soon :)
Ioannis KarAvas
Neila

Post by Neila »

i deleted all my posts that have any interesting information.
reason... bad night i guess
it's kinda funny, and sad, that there are a lot of people who are concerned with the legal boundaries, when in reality they don't matter.
you can get away with murder, if you don't step on Sony's toes.
on other side you can be 100% legal, and if you step hard on their toes you'll get the wrath of the lawers.
And when you step i depends just how hard you do it, and thats what determins the response.
If you think you had no problems so far is because you keep it clean.. :) keep on dreaming. You are just not on the radar, and what you do has no effect on sales.
as soon as you have homebrew for PSP you would have stepped on a lot of toes, and no matter what you'll have problems.... unless the code and gcc is so wide spread that any action will be worthless. (then they may do it just to save face)

bottom line... I don't care it's apperant that there;s no cooperation just every dog has his bone and does his thing (more or less) at least in the forum.
Instead of disseminating information for faster development, there is a policy of information containment and control... why?.. well... who cares...
in the end it doesn't matter anyway.
Last edited by Neila on Sat May 07, 2005 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
(1 + 1 == 10 ) == true
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

for the moderators of this forum it matters, if you dont fancy the rules, set up phpBB and proclaim your own pspdev forum site, its as easy as that.
Kung VU
Neila

Post by Neila »

blackdroid: of course it does (i think we can all feel it), it matters for their values and their good sleep I guess... but not much else (tho in the end things will end up being discovered only trough someone getting his hands dirty)

me setting up forums? :) i'm not a developer, just a stranger who wanted to help out, I'll just watch from now on
(1 + 1 == 10 ) == true
asmodi

Post by asmodi »

You don't kill people just couse good values and good sleep I guess?
It's not in my nature to be mysterious, but I can't talk about it, and I can't talk about why.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Neila: If you think we are completely under Sony's radar then you have no idea of everything that goes on.
But the fact remains, even if there was absolutely no negative legal reprocussions the values of of these forums state that warez is bad, and the rules state it is not allowed. That is not going to change. If you have a problem with it, leave.

For those that missed what is going on, neila originally posted what appeared to be a checksum and claimed it was an encryption key.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Neila

Post by Neila »

man .. thats funny =)
anyway you should make a definition of what "warez" is... so we all know not to talk "warez" stuff...

(I'm not joking, I have no idea what you mean)

and.. i deleted everything, including the "design information repository" I was making... I don't know why you are caught up with this thread...

anyway I won't bother you more, I'll quietly just read...
(1 + 1 == 10 ) == true
pixel

Post by pixel »

Neila wrote:man .. thats funny =)
anyway you should make a definition of what "warez" is... so we all know not to talk "warez" stuff...

(I'm not joking, I have no idea what you mean)
You...... don't know the meaning of the word "warez"... ? Whoa. Just... whoa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
Neila

Post by Neila »

... without the intention of getting into .. whatever..
warez is:
..derivative for the plural form of the word "software" meaning copyrighted material traded in violation of its copyright license.."
since I only type text in a forum it would be hardy a "warez"
if you can catch my drift

and making speculation on software design (which should be essential for any homebrew development), and if you consider it "warez stuff" how do you develop homebrew? :)
unless you are writing the OS from scratch your homebrew will be either "encrypting" with will fall well into your own definition of warez, Or you will have to find a way to execute code directly, bypassing the encrytion safety and thus creating circumvent technology.
I'm no lawer... well.. if we don't count some business law I did back in the days... but it might have been working for Ps2 since it had linux kits and whatnot, I don't think you can be so clean with PSP.

anyway as i said you won't have to bother with me, i'll just shut up now :)
(damn the sun's raising again)
(1 + 1 == 10 ) == true
ripnet

I reckon its not a key, but a signature

Post by ripnet »

I think that lines like ULJS-00001|CCCD9317C815B9F5|0001|G in umd_date.bin contain a digital signature, and not the key. Sony would be a bit dumb to put the key in plaintext. I reckon this is a number derrived from the private key and the md5 of the executable(s), which is checked by the OS before it is run (a la xbox)... George
pedroleite

Post by pedroleite »

I'll try to do the following later, but here goes:

Just use the browser with the file:// hack to read this file and post the contents here...

No circunvention of any kind.

I guess what you see there is just the GAME ID from sony, I can read it on the box here UCUS 98612 for Wipeout Pure... and the HEX equivalent of it's disc ID...

If Sony is on the standard encryption and content protection band-wagon... this "key" is used to obtain the decoding key, stored internally, through some not public algorithm... much like a smart card for a pay-tv does.

From somewhere else there are posts of running "strings" agains the files and getting all sorts of unencrypted data... (guess Sony just bind's it's own boot loaders).

Also, I will be waiting for the HTTP POST trials :)
ripnet

Which file do u want?

Post by ripnet »

Hi, If you want a (small) file from a UMD iso, I cannot post it to these forums, but if you mail me at ps2dev (hat) ripnet.co.uk I can send u any file from Ridge Racer (.jap). G (I am not after warezing - i actually own the original , but downloaded the .iso as its very interesting how these things work... - great game btw)
Last edited by ripnet on Fri May 06, 2005 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cogboy

Post by Cogboy »

you might have to be carefull with posts like that round here.
i'm not sure even that is allowed.
"the sony PSP was built by god, to determine who on earth had the best skills to defeat the armies of satan" - Saint Peter.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

As the rules currently say, you can talk about it - but not trade it around.
Krevnik

Post by Krevnik »

What /was/ posted was definitely a checksum, rather than a key. I don't think that Sony would be dumb enough to protect a 128-bit key with a 64-bit key. That reduces the effective security to the strength of the 64-bit key, which if it is asymmetrical, pretty pathetic. Someone would be able to factor an RSA key that size rather quickly.

Any asymmetrical encryption key is likely to be 512-bit, possibly 1 kilobit in size. That also means that the data chunks of encrypted data are going to be at least 512 bits in size. (64 bytes)

After doing quite a bit of research on AES (and using my knowledge on RSA), there is no real good attack vector on the encryption itself. Nothing that we could feasibly use anyways. The weakness lies in that keys are hardwired into the PSP, possibly the firmware or on an FPGA. If it is on an FPGA, then we have some serious problems, as that level of security meets and possibly exceeds NSA requirements for government contracts! If it is in the firmware, then it would be possible to do a dump and analysis of the firmware from a v1.0 PSP and the loophole recently discovered.