TFTP ???

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Vyrus001

TFTP ???

Post by Vyrus001 »

just a random idea, i was thinking most routers claim that if you try to update the firmware and it eather breaks, dosent work, or the router looses power for som reason, your router is officaly a brick. this seems to be the same with the psp. but was was thinking, just like in routers it is a little known fact that there is a tftp server being run only as the device starts up that will aceppt any data it is given and treat it as new firmware. well since sony has to have a method of putting firmware on the psp once it is manufacturted (they cant make the device with the programing alredy on it). i would asume that there is some what to bypass the current firmware on boot up and give it new data to run. As possible entry to this prosses, i have knowticed that before the welcom screen appears on the psp once it is turned on (not awakend from sleep mode), the memory card is acsessed. might there be a way to...

a) scann for what the heck it is doing to the ms

or...

b) place information in the "boot" sector of the ms ?
agentbob

Post by agentbob »

An interesting idea...

According to ye ol' wikipedia the PSP would need to send a RRQ (read request) packet to the TFTP server to get the firmware image. It also says TFTP runs on UDP port 69. Hm...
Erant

Re: TFTP ???

Post by Erant »

Vyrus001 wrote:(they cant make the device with the programing alredy on it)
In fact, they can. The FLASH chip of the PSP has a standard interface, and as is common practice with these things, they come preflashed. All manufacturing does is solder those preflashed chips onto the board.

But still, the MS access is interesting. You could make a little memstick like PCB, and a memstick receiver (Easily made from a converter, where you can solder wires onto the larger, normal memstick pads), and just tap those into your computer. Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment to actually analyze the data, I can make the PCB and everything, but I'm pretty much stuck there.

I do however have a packet sniffing setup, so I'll try that in a bit, see if anything is done with the WiFi when booting up.

Edit:

Tried it, booted up (not from standby, real booting) but no packets whatsoever. I tried it with several key combo's, I tried it holding up the power button, etc. etc. But no response in the form of a WiFi packet.
Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
pyrosama

Re: TFTP ???

Post by pyrosama »

It would most likely not be WiFi - check usb or ms. How would they repair the system? JTAG - or to avoid opening it they would have another way to diagnose or boot a diagnostic app to check on the system - USB? Is there any activity on ether when you boot?
Erant wrote:
Vyrus001 wrote:(they cant make the device with the programing alredy on it)
In fact, they can. The FLASH chip of the PSP has a standard interface, and as is common practice with these things, they come preflashed. All manufacturing does is solder those preflashed chips onto the board.

But still, the MS access is interesting. You could make a little memstick like PCB, and a memstick receiver (Easily made from a converter, where you can solder wires onto the larger, normal memstick pads), and just tap those into your computer. Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment to actually analyze the data, I can make the PCB and everything, but I'm pretty much stuck there.

I do however have a packet sniffing setup, so I'll try that in a bit, see if anything is done with the WiFi when booting up.

Edit:

Tried it, booted up (not from standby, real booting) but no packets whatsoever. I tried it with several key combo's, I tried it holding up the power button, etc. etc. But no response in the form of a WiFi packet.
Vyrus001

Post by Vyrus001 »

agentbob wrote:An interesting idea...

According to ye ol' wikipedia the PSP would need to send a RRQ (read request) packet to the TFTP server to get the firmware image. It also says TFTP runs on UDP port 69. Hm...
well... if that is the case then i guess the best way to scann for this signal would be with one of these

http://www.ellisys.com/products/usbex200/index.php

... "/me would try but i dont actuly own a psp, ive been hacking my friends :P"
Ihsan

Serial port

Post by Ihsan »

Please read this topic;

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=986&start=30

It seems that they use the serial port for "emergency flashing" the device. They also could use the same for the first flash...
Drakonite
Site Admin

Re: Serial port

Post by Drakonite »

Ihsan wrote:Please read this topic;

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=986&start=30

It seems that they use the serial port for "emergency flashing" the device. They also could use the same for the first flash...
That is just speculation.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Vyrus001

Post by Vyrus001 »

well jugdeing from

http://www.rmbwoc.com/vidpage/s9pin.html#cmdtbl

i would say that it is a good bet that the ps3 is going to have some way of linking to that port and useing it as a media player or vice versa. i wouldn't be suprised to see some game comunication over serial output, (much like the game to game rumble packs nintendo introduced with the game cube, or the game save sharring and screens that where in the dreamcast). more to the point, has anybody tried to match the pin - outs on this to a PC ? (db9 or db15 perhaps). if so, did they try tftp sending protocall over that port, or perhaps mounting the serial connection through linux?
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Vyrus001 wrote:i would say that it is a good bet that the ps3 is going to have some way of linking to that port and useing it as a media player or vice versa.
And why not the USB port?
Vyrus001

Post by Vyrus001 »

because i dont think the usb port actuly goes to the psp at all. if you think about it, the usb port is probobly one of the heardest points on a moble devices to secure (from us in this case) because it is so versital. plus if there were any mountable file systems acsesseble from the usb port other than the mem stick, a probing OS (linux) would sence them (maby not be able to read the format or mounting directevs) but it would see the empty space. personaly i think think the usb port is in place simply to alow acsess to the mem stick without a seprate reader, wich is why i think the other port is what is being used for psp device acsess perpouses. (plus acording into the other posts in this topic, that seems to be the case).

btw... yea i know spelling :P