Explanation to Menu Glitches.

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Skye

Explanation to Menu Glitches.

Post by Skye »

I am sorry if what i say is confusing now, I am under the influence.
But all this stuff about secret menus is about a menu gitch. What can be done with that i dont know.

The original idea is that when you are in game. You hit the home key, and then you repeatedly hit x as you are coming back to the menu screen. When you do this you get a secret menu on the umd disc. Its the movie options??

Well I found out that if you hit the dpad you can go down the "secret" menu. You can access your network options, your picture options, ect.
This menu glitch is also available on memory games.
To get this to work you must start you game up(1.5,1.0,151)"All versions", if you have one where it crashes. It will say The game could not be started. (80020001). Hit O to go back and then hit x repeatedly and press on the dpad up and down 1 or 2 or 3 times. Time it right to get into whatever menu you want.

EDIT
If you hit the dpad left and right you can acess the main menus.

I hope this helps someone(My first real contribution).
This shows alot about the code invovled. Maybe someone will get a idea to exploit it.

I would add screenshots, but my cams broke. But anyone with a camera and a psp can do this and should take ss's of it.
pyrosama

Post by pyrosama »

Seems he did stumble onto a glitch in the menu system. Doenst seem to be a hidden menu it just loads menu's from the settings group.

http://img178.echo.cx/my.php?image=mvc007f1zr.jpg

P.Sama
sq377

Post by sq377 »

dude, send him beer, maybe he'll crack 1.5.

Edit

I tested it... he's right.

I tested it with twisted metal, and i could see umd movie options... bashed x and down on the analog stick worked for me
Last edited by sq377 on Tue May 24, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SparkyPete

Post by SparkyPete »

sq377 wrote:dude, send him beer, maybe he'll crack 1.5.
lol!!

Shakespear and monkeys huh!
Skye

Post by Skye »

Ha ha, I am learning to be a programmer, but not good enough to hack the psp. :P.
After tinkering more with this ive learned a few more things.

After coming out of the game, or game crash. If you have your sound turned all the way up, you can press the dpad and listen to it go down or up the menu. If you hit x before the previous menu loads up, it will load up the menu you landed on.

And for people that dont realize this, not only can you go up and down the first menu (settings menu)You can dpad left and right to go through the Settings Photo Music Video Game Menus.

All this shows is how the psps little mini os works.
I just hope someone can figure out another exploit using this or some kind of buffer overflow exploit or something.

Haha thanks for not flaming me like the boys over at pspforums.com did :/.
Erant

Post by Erant »

The PSP GUI just boots up in it's start position, which is in the Settings menu, on the Video Settings menu. It is weird how it then moves the menu over though, and what I'd also like to know is where it's getting it's information, logically it'd be RAM but it seems too slow for that, especially just an x,y position.
Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

Erant wrote:The PSP GUI just boots up in it's start position, which is in the Settings menu, on the Video Settings menu.
Well thats interesting. Mine boots up to the Game position, pointed to Saved Game Utility. And yet, when I do this trick, it still goes to the video settings. Are you sure your PSP boots to the video settings position?
Erant

Post by Erant »

F9zDark wrote:
Erant wrote:The PSP GUI just boots up in it's start position, which is in the Settings menu, on the Video Settings menu.
Well thats interesting. Mine boots up to the Game position, pointed to Saved Game Utility. And yet, when I do this trick, it still goes to the video settings. Are you sure your PSP boots to the video settings position?
I just checked, and you're right. Still, it probably goes there after it finds out that there is no x,y position in memory, but still starts at the settings menu.
pokesomi

Post by pokesomi »

i noticed that many are trying to go after the hardcore software. Why cant we get in through some low level system and try the back door sota speak? Yes i know star trek reference but it works for the explination.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

The only back door I bet exists is nestled quietly in some Sony Repair Shop. Not to mention there are only two places to look for the supposed back door:

USB
Remote Control Port

IR port isn't enabled, as far as I know, so I doubt it would use that.
Erant

Post by Erant »

pokesomi wrote:i noticed that many are trying to go after the hardcore software. Why cant we get in through some low level system and try the back door sota speak? Yes i know star trek reference but it works for the explination.
1. Learn english
2. Be my guest, you h4x0r the backdoor, and some 'low level system'.
jimmygoon

Post by jimmygoon »

hmmm... I've been wondering and thinking about this for a while. What is actually occuring that is letting someone into this menu. Surely something more complex then "PSP: Oh my... he's pressing 'X'... better let him into the secret menu..."