which files do i need to boot ?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

darkdoc

which files do i need to boot ?

Post by darkdoc »

hi,
i dont want to jump in the dev if can't burn my game, and i am ok to put a ship in my ps2
i am a game programmer -> no for warrez, i don't like that

i am studient in a french computer sciences school and i like
programming games.
i try directx pc, dreamcast with ethernet upload, and made some
funny things (you can look www.darkway.org/projects/xquest/ for the dreamcast project).
and actually work on a game on linux for the moment, and i want to try the port on ps2.

there is great tools like ps2dev so it is possible i think.

1) putting an elf file on the cdr, some conventions ?
2) which files do i need to boot ?
pixel

Post by pixel »

*sigh*

Did somebody put a curse on french people so they would never write good english? :)

Anyway:

The PS2 has a quite simple bootup sequence. It will first read the SYSTEM.CNF located on the media, then, will load the binary file which name is written into the latter configuration file. The binary is a "simple" ELF file, which can be produced by the ee-gcc that you can find in the free PS2 toolchain we have here.

However, you would most likely be wanting to start developping using a costless and timeless method (that is, without the need to burn a CD each time you want to test your code): you should send your binary to the PS2 using a cable, like the USB prolific thing, or the official PS2 ethernet adaptor; ie, your code will be loaded from your computer harddrive, and it will be able to load data the same way as well.

There are plenty of documentation around that explain how to do so (hint: focus on the "ps2link" software)
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
psfgc

Why do we need cdgenps2?

Post by psfgc »

I saw some reference to the need to burn with an ISO prepared by cdgenps2. Why is this needed?
pixel

Post by pixel »

Because most people here are too lame to create their ISO with an hex editor :D

Okay, well, seriously: the PSX/PS2 CDVD reader has some constraints, like SYSTEM.CNF and the main binary beeing on a low HBA, and a 150-blanks sectors padding at the end of the CD, and they added some funky features into the iso9660 filesystem. So, better not use Nero there, or your PS2 will have troubles booting the CD.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.