ps2 saves via cd-r

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

alucard2100

ps2 saves via cd-r

Post by alucard2100 »

I downloaded several saves for PS2, but I don't have PS2 HD or USB cable or anything. Is there some program which can be written to CD along with these saves and will copy them from CD to my memory card when I boot this CD in PS2?
Bye.
Alucard.

Re: ps2 saves via cd-r

Post by Guest »

No.

Look for commercial products such as Action Replay EVO and such.
BraveDog

Post by BraveDog »

Actually a program called LaunchElf can do this.
Go to ps2-scene.org for more info on this.
People talk developement here.
boomint

Post by boomint »

BraveDog wrote:Actually a program called LaunchElf can do this.
It can read from a cdr in an un-modded ps2? Are ya sure? Would you be willing to stake your reputation on it?! ;)
--( someone stole my sig! )--
alucard2100

Post by alucard2100 »

I have modded PS2, by the way.
Bye.
Alucard.

Post by Guest »

Then head on down to ps2-scene.org where lots of ppl can help you with lots of ways to accomplish this.
BraveDog

Post by BraveDog »

boomint wrote:
BraveDog wrote:Actually a program called LaunchElf can do this.
It can read from a cdr in an un-modded ps2? Are ya sure? Would you be willing to stake your reputation on it?! ;)
boomint, 50 cents and my reputation might buy a cup of coffee. :P
I took a guess that he had a chip because I thought he was the same alucard from http://www.alucard.cc/.
-cheers
alucard2100

Post by alucard2100 »

Thanks. I used LaunchElf and did it.
Bye.
Alucard.
Danj

Post by Danj »

This isn't exactly related, but is there any freeware/noncommercial software that I can burn to a CD-R or DVD-R and use to transfer save games off my PS2 memory card onto a USB flash disk? I have a modded PS2, but I don't have a network adaptor or a hard drive, and my memcards are all nearly full, and I don't particularly want to go out and buy one of the Action Replay products, since they only include like a 16Mb flash disk and I already have a 512Mb one (or a 1Gb one if you count my PSP with its 1Gb MSPD, heh).
Dan Jackson

Post by Guest »

Danj wrote:... and I don't particularly want to go out and buy one of the Action Replay products, since they only include like a 16Mb flash disk and I already have a 512Mb one (or a 1Gb one if you count my PSP with its 1Gb MSPD, heh).
You know, you can also use what you got flash-wise with them Action Replays...

Now, if you ps2 is modded, and you can't burn any cds/dvd's to boot something to move saves around, you won't get any help here. These are not modchip support forums.
Danj

Post by Danj »

gorim wrote:
Danj wrote:... and I don't particularly want to go out and buy one of the Action Replay products, since they only include like a 16Mb flash disk and I already have a 512Mb one (or a 1Gb one if you count my PSP with its 1Gb MSPD, heh).
You know, you can also use what you got flash-wise with them Action Replays...

Now, if you ps2 is modded, and you can't burn any cds/dvd's to boot something to move saves around, you won't get any help here. These are not modchip support forums.
Uh... what? I'm not asking for support for my modchip, it works just fine. I can burn CDs/DVDs to "boot something to move saves around" as you put it, I just don't know what software it is that I need in order to do that. That's why I was asking on a homebrew software forum (i.e. here) whether there was any such software and where I might get it. I'm not asking for CD-rips of Action Replay or USB Loader or anything illegal like that.
Dan Jackson
weltall

Post by weltall »

you could use launchelf...
Danj

Post by Danj »

weltall wrote:you could use launchelf...
Unless I misunderstood the other posts in this thread, that's just for copying save games TO the PS2 using a CD-R. I want to be able to back up save games FROM the PS2 using my USB flash disk. I'm frankly surprised that there doesn't seem to be a homebrew solution for this.
Dan Jackson
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

Danj wrote:
weltall wrote:you could use launchelf...
Unless I misunderstood the other posts in this thread, that's just for copying save games TO the PS2 using a CD-R...
You did misunderstand them, mainly because it would be impossible to mention everything LaunchELF can do in a single post of reasonable size. In fact it can handle nearly all PS2 media and, since it's still being developed, may handle even more in future.
(Currently does not support copying over network.)
I want to be able to back up save games FROM the PS2 using my USB flash disk. I'm frankly surprised that there doesn't seem to be a homebrew solution for this.
LaunchELF will allow you to copy to/from a USB disk or 'pen drive' (named 'mass:' in either case). However, the current drivers are not compatible with all drives in existence. I've myself had one that didn't work (Kingston Data Traveler) and one that does work (HP Disgo).

Also, regardless of copying methods, some saves rely on special file attributes (eg: Star Ocean 3 Battle Trophy save). Such saves will not be restored properly when copying them back to a PS2 MC from a USB disk (or a CD-R). But LaunchELF can at least copy even such files correctly from one PS2 MC to another (which the normal PS2 browser doesn't allow.)

Best regards: dlanor