Idea for exploit

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

dzer0

Idea for exploit

Post by dzer0 »

Please don't flame me as i am a n00b and don't really know how this stuff works but...Supposedly apps that must upade to new fw can embed the firmware into the app...so we could take the mustupdate program and embed a modified updater in there to possibly run unsigned code...just an idea!

d0
Erant

Post by Erant »

If you don't know how this stuff works, why comment on it? The updater uses a hash check to check validity of the flash files, also the .PSAR files are compressed and encrypted. The MustUpdate file is nothing, the only thing that's changed is the firmware required flag, something a three year old could change.
Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
DeepBlue

another Exploit

Post by DeepBlue »

Hi Folks, sorry my english is not so good, but i try it to explain my idea.
In the Version 1.0 was the PSP able to run a unsigned code.
May in the Version 1.5 is the PSP able to run a code with any signed code. I mean singed from any Certification Autority. Because 1.51 has a smaller bug fix i think ( I hope ) :-)

I can not Program, but think this is may be the security bug in the 1.51 to run any signed code. ...

Have fun
Erant

Re: another Exploit

Post by Erant »

DeepBlue wrote:Hi Folks, sorry my english is not so good, but i try it to explain my idea.
In the Version 1.0 was the PSP able to run a unsigned code.
May in the Version 1.5 is the PSP able to run a code with any signed code. I mean singed from any Certification Autority. Because 1.51 has a smaller bug fix i think ( I hope ) :-)

I can not Program, but think this is may be the security bug in the 1.51 to run any signed code. ...

Have fun
And on what basis are you making this assumption? Be my guest, try it. Don't bother us with your idle speculation. Give it a whirl, if it doesn't work, it doesn't, if it does work, share it with is. This isn't helping us one bit.
DeepBlue

sign....

Post by DeepBlue »

I does not say, that this trick will work. It is only a idea. But if you know that this trick not work. Is okay. You know it better. I will only look in the forums in the future.

Bye
Erant

Re: sign....

Post by Erant »

DeepBlue wrote:I does not say, that this trick will work. It is only a idea. But if you know that this trick not work. Is okay. You know it better. I will only look in the forums in the future.
Your first bit is exactly the problem. "I didn't say the trick would work", before posting to this board with idle speculation that other people should try for you, test it yourself. I don't know if it would work or not, because I havn't tried it. Big chance it won't work however.
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

I think someone should try this (DeepBlue's suggestion).
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

~PSP files are not signed by certificates. The rest of this thread is lacking any useful content. Locked.