ps2link to memory card... how?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

mcmcguirl

ps2link to memory card... how?

Post by mcmcguirl »

So it might be obvious by the question, but I'm new to this and have been searching around for the past few days for some answers.

I'm not looking to do any real programming on the ps2 - I just want to be able to transfer save files back and forth between my memory cards and my computer.

I have searched hig and low here and on other sites but haven't found any answers. This is what I think I need - Inlink (and I think nport) running on my computer and ps2link running on my ps2 (ps2link is in ps2sdk, right?)

Anyway, I think I'm supposed to make the ps2sdk file that I downloaded and unzipped from the website into an iso file so I can burn it to a disc and load it on my ps2 - but if that's right, I don't know how to get the folder that was unzipped to be an iso file.

Please help me/tell me what I'm doing wrong... I just want to save money by using my computer to store game files. :'(
Last edited by mcmcguirl on Tue May 04, 2004 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

no ps2sdk is not the right place to start..

ps2link + nport and a network interface for your ps2.
then a client like inlink for your pc..
check http://www.ps2savetools.com/faq.php for more info.
Kung VU
EugeneE3RD

Re: ps2sdk... to iso, right?

Post by EugeneE3RD »

mcmcguirl,

PS2SDK is a programming library for programming PS2 applications, games, et al. It can't be burned to CD or run from CD.

Since you want to transfer saves from PS2 To PC & Vice Versa, I would suggest that you purchase an X-Port which comes with the required software & cables.
mcmcguirl

Post by mcmcguirl »

Thanks blackdroid, so now I know I just need the ps2link zipfile - but I'm still left with the idiot question of how do I get it to my ps2?

I know the xport is an option Eugene, but I've already bought the network adapter so I'd like to get some use out of it (since I don't care for online play). And plus I know it's possible... though perhaps not with my current knowledge on the subject. :?

I've read a tutorial on what you do once you HAVE Inlink, nport and ps2link running... but I can't get to that first step - so any help with what to do to get ps2link running on my memory card would be great. Do I use mcloader or the Independence exploit...?

I'm running a US version 3 ps2 with Swap Magic3.2... in case you need to know.

THANKS
mcmcguirl

Post by mcmcguirl »

OK, so I think I now know how to run ps2link off a disc ->

Build an ISO file with CDRWIN by dropping everything that was unzipped into the box.
Patch the ISO with AddZer0
Burn ISO with CDRWIN

(right?)

But I'm guessing there's a way to put it on a memory card so I don't have to insert the disc every time I want to transfer a saved game file - can someone tell me what I need to do to get ps2link on my mc?
mharris

Post by mharris »

The best way to run ps2link is to use the independence exploit to run it from the MC. There are numerous posts about it here, at ps2dev.org, and on mrbrown's site http://www.0xd6.org

Sjeep has written an installer, also available at 0xd6.com -- you make and patch an ISO and burn it to a CDR and it will install ps2link (or whatever program you've configured) and the exploit onto your MC. You need something like swap magic, in conjuction with the 'knife trick,' to get the CDR to boot, however.

Once it's installed, you no longer need to burn any more CDRs -- pop in your PS1 disc and ps2link will come up; then you transfer your programs over the ethernet adapter.
mcmcguirl

Post by mcmcguirl »

Thanks Harris - I've actually been trying to get mrbrowns site to open, but it hasn't worked the past couple days - is that just me, cause I've been getting "The Web Server may be down, too busy..."

Someone please let me know if they can get to the site.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

butlersp

Post by butlersp »

I have spent the last few hours trying to get this to work. I have ps2link up and running and I have Inkink but where does the ps3link.npo file go? Is that supposed to be on the memoery card also?
butlersp

Post by butlersp »

I have spent the last few hours trying to get this to work. I have ps2link up and running and I have Inkink but where does the ps3link.npo file go? Is that supposed to be on the memoery card also?
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

ps2link.npo is an nport image of the ps2link save file.
You can use nport to copy the save file over to your memory card, however if you already have ps2link running you don't really need to do this...
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
butlersp

Post by butlersp »

I have ps2link running but I am not sur how to test it. And as far as nport goes, what else do I need? I have tried inlink but everytime I load it thee is another file it can't find.
butlersp

Post by butlersp »

Anreally for the time being I am going to try to just use it to transfer saves. I gott he HDD and it won't work with the sharkport disk unless I remove the network adapter.
EugeneE3RD

Post by EugeneE3RD »

butlersp wrote:Anreally for the time being I am going to try to just use it to transfer saves. I gott he HDD and it won't work with the sharkport disk unless I remove the network adapter.
I own a X-Port & it does work with the HDD/Network Adapter hooked up. The problem is that the X-Port takes longer to load & it is more prone to USB errors when the HDD is installed in the PS2.
butlersp

Post by butlersp »

What I am trying to get is to use my network to do tranfers. I have the PS2 set up in the living room most of the time and it would just be easier, I think, to use the network rather than having a usb cord. That and I let the sharkport disk in the PS2 for like 3 or 4 minutes and nothing happened.
butlersp

Post by butlersp »

I got ps2link to work, now how do I go about transfering game files from the mc and hdd? Inlink wo't work, I am missing the incapture.dll and the program won't do anything becuase of it. I have naplink but when the screen comes up on the tv it says the cpu is not ready and when I run it on the pc side it says that the device is not mounted. Any help I would appreciate. thanks.
pixel

Post by pixel »

If PS2link runs on the PS2-side, simply run ps2client or pksh on the PC-side, in order to run nPort. All of the three softwares are to be found quite easily on the web.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
KaylaKaze

Post by KaylaKaze »

If PS2link runs on the PS2-side, simply run ps2client or pksh on the PC-side, in order to run nPort. All of the three softwares are to be found quite easily on the web.
except neither of those are very windows friendly, especially since you have to compile them first. If you can't do that, you pretty much have to use InLink unless you can get someone to make you a Win32 binary of ps2client (which I'd personally love so I could use netfs commands). I don't know why Inlink wouldn't work for you though if you installed it correctly :-(
pixel

Post by pixel »

There was a binary version of pksh and ps2client hosted somewhere IIRC.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
pixel

Post by pixel »

Seems I was bored enough:

http://www.nobis-crew.org/ps2-cygwin

However, when I tried to pull pksh's out from the cvs, I got:

Code: Select all

$ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.ps2dev.org:2401/home/ps2cvs co pksh
cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
cvs [checkout aborted]: no repository
Seems something's fucked up in the shell. And it seems only Ooble could fix that.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

Either it was no problem or Oobles fixed it :) atleast I managed to do a checkout of pksh today.

for win32 binary release of pksh check http://www.thethirdcreation.net/tools
you will need dll's from cygwin, so cygwin is a prerequisite.
Kung VU
pixel

Post by pixel »

Indeed, it works now.

And it seems I don't have to compile it for cygwin since you already have that binary on ttc :-P
NeoCloud

Post by NeoCloud »

Hello,
I am a n00b. I just bought a ps2 last week, $149.
I want to be able to connect ps2 <-> pc via ethernet. I don't want to do any moding or opening up the case and voiding the warranty.
From my researching this subject, I think I know what to do, but I have a question.

First, correct me if I'm wrong.
Basically I need to follow the instructions on mrbrown's site to get everything setup on the memcard w/ titleman, an original ps1 cd etc..

My question is...
Is there anyway to get this info on a the memcard without buying anything, like a usb memcard reader, or swapmagic cd? I suppose if I found someone with a moded ps2 I could make a bootable cd-r and setup the memcard then come home and use it in my ps2. Will this work, and is there any other way without buying anything?

Oh and also...
I have a 50001/N, will independance work with this version?
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

getting help from someone with a modded ps2 to fix a memorycard with ps2link for you would be the easiest option.

as for it working on your ps2, you will find out when you try.
Kung VU
NeoCloud

Post by NeoCloud »

Does anyone know of a usb (ps2/ps1) memcard reader that can be found at a pc or game store? This is what I think I will do to prepare the memcard. I really don't know anyone with a moded ps2.
butlersp

Post by butlersp »

Gameshark or Xport will work. I think they run about $40. But you need to also look at www.ps2savetools.com for the needed tools to assemble the exploit saves.
NeoCloud

Post by NeoCloud »

$40 + $20 (for a ps2 memcard, one of the reasons I want to get a pc<->ps2 link going, is gamesaves).

Can a memcard be prepared using the official sony linux kit? ($99) I was thinking of getting that possibly in the future anyhow.

Is the Sony Linux kit worth it?
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

NeoCloud wrote:$40 + $20 (for a ps2 memcard, one of the reasons I want to get a pc<->ps2 link going, is gamesaves).

Can a memcard be prepared using the official sony linux kit? ($99) I was thinking of getting that possibly in the future anyhow.

Is the Sony Linux kit worth it?
Yes, with a patch you can use the ps2linux kit to prepare the memory card. Of course, with the ps2linux kit you can also write code for the ps2linux environment, or you can also use the RTE and reload1 to boot native code.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
brian_m

Post by brian_m »

I actually used the kit to load the files onto the mem card also. It is a bit trickier than it seems at first sight. So... here were my basic steps:

1- get PS2 Linux up and running. Make sure you install kernel sources (makes things a little easier later)
2- go to download the memory card full access patch.
3- patch and recompile on the same kernel you installed or have sources for.
4- install all resulting files apropriately (modules_install and move vmlinux to the mem card)
5- reboot w/o linux.
6- have an extra PS2 card ready (only needed at this step).
7- put your exploit card in slot 2 and the extra in slot one.
8- delete the system file on the second card using the PS2 boot environment/explorer.
9- take the cards out and boot linux.
10- mount the exploit card on any slot once your up and running. copy the B*DATA_SYSTEM folder generated from titleman onto the card. (*=region, mine is A)
11- your done!!

You have to do this because the patch wont give you *full* access to the card in all ways. This alows you to write the files before the sony RTE marks them as special (Im not sure exactly what goes on but w/o the extra card things dont work out).

You should be able to find this info on the ps2linux sight but it is scattered about.

I hope this helps. It took me long enough to get mine working.