PSP Development environment

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

inomine

PSP Development environment

Post by inomine »

I'm looking for a nice IDE for writing code for the PSP, running on Windows.

I've had a look at Dev C++ but it really wants to create native Windows code and I don't fancy hacking it too much if there is another alternative.

What do people use apart from the obvious answer of vi/vim/emacs/pico?
pixel

Post by pixel »

DevC++ can be tweaked. Search the forums, ole did it with ps2's compilers IIRC.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.

Re: PSP Development environment

Post by Guest »

inomine wrote:I'm looking for a nice IDE for writing code for the PSP, running on Windows.

What do people use apart from the obvious answer of vi/vim/emacs/pico?
On Mac its probably possibly to get the Xcode Ide to use the cross-compiler toolchain. Its a really nice environment. There is no Windows version of it though, and Apple will release an x86 (non-windows) version of it (already to developers).

But honestly, vi+make is the only IDE anyone truly needs. :)
Grifis

Post by Grifis »

what about the ps2dev win32 environment?
tomt

Re: PSP Development environment

Post by tomt »

gorim wrote: On Mac its probably possibly to get the Xcode Ide to use the cross-compiler toolchain. Its a really nice environment. There is no Windows version of it though, and Apple will release an x86 (non-windows) version of it (already to developers).

But honestly, vi+make is the only IDE anyone truly needs. :)
does the gcc 4 that comes with os x tiger compile for mips? (and gcc 4 in general)

i've seen people mentioning either build your own toolchain or use gcc 4 but maybe i just misunderstood

Post by Guest »

No. The one that comes with the Mac is targeted only for the PowerPC platform as a native compiler.

You would still need to install a cross-compiler toolchain with MIPS as the target and PowerPC as the host. The key is getting Xcode to use a different toolchain than the one it defaults to. Should be possible in theory, but I don't know how easy or workable in reality.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
weak

Post by weak »

get visual c++ 2005 express. it's free and it's pretty good (imho).
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

Emacs!!!
qubitz

Post by qubitz »

I did the coding for Arkanoid with kdevelop, it has a very nice editor.
etx

Post by etx »

I thought I'd add to this thread. Check out the C plugin for Eclipse. Eclipse is the only ide I use for code/script and it's great. Here is a link to the plugin from IBM with info on cygwin installs for windows and how to get it going.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/o ... ?ca=dgr-ln

I'd love to know how to get xcode working with the psptoolchain. Thus far i'm just manually building and linking and useing xcode to edit src.
alain91

Eclipse

Post by alain91 »

Eclipse seems great, but I didn't managed to make a psp project with it :/

Could someone help to use Eclipse please ?..

Alain
AtaruZ

Re: Eclipse

Post by AtaruZ »

alain91 wrote:Eclipse seems great, but I didn't managed to make a psp project with it :/

Could someone help to use Eclipse please ?..

Alain
Let's assume you want to play with pspsdk samples...
Create a new "standard make C project".
Import something in the project (right click in the left pane onthe project itself and click import, navigate to the samples folder). This will create a copy of the samples in your workspace so you'll never mess the original samples!
Make sure your path environment includes /usr/local/pspdev/bin (or wherever you've installed pspsdk). Pay attention to the fact that eclipse takes the global path variable by default. If you notice that eclipse complains about not finding psp-gcc or psp-make, then you've to browse project's properties, go to ""C/C++ make project", click the environment tab and click select. Get the PATH variable and modifi it by adding the correct pspsdk path.
To add the include dir for pspsdk, in the project's properties, select "C/C++ include paths & symbols", click ""add external include path..." and select /usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/include.
The last passage may not be necessary since Eclipse tries to figure (discover) the right include paths...
I prefer to disable the autobuild feature (project->build automatically).
Right click a folder (e.g. gu/sprite) and then click "build make target". Create the needed target (all or kxploit) select it and click OK. This should compile your project...

Feel free to ask more help!

AtaruZ
alain91

eclipse

Post by alain91 »

Thanks a lot for your help AtaruZ !

I managed to make a project without errors (in eclipse ide), but it doesn't produce an elf ..

It seems a bit complicated to use :/
Is there anyway to import directly the makefile from a sample ?..

Anyway thanks a lot again,
Alain
AtaruZ

Post by AtaruZ »

When you click "Import..." after right-clicking on the project name, choose "File system", follow the wizard and browse to the folder you want to add to your project. Eclipse will import everything including the Makefile...
At this point, you'll have a copy of the selected folder(s) in your workspace/projectname folder.
From now on you can create and build make targets from the Makefile included in the imported folder...

Hope to be helpful and sorry for my english, sometimes it's very crappy! I'm from Italy!

AtaruZ
whazilla

Post by whazilla »

hey ...

i got this prob with eclipse and my pspsdk
in bash pspsdk works

but in eclipse i don't get further than(project named emorph)

Severity Description Resource In Folder Location Creation Time Id
2 *** Er is geen regel om doel 'all' te maken. emorph 09 september 2006 14:03:29 78
2 *** Er is geen regel om doel 'clean' te maken. emorph 09 september 2006 14:03:29 77
2 *** Er is geen regel om doel '/lib/build.mak' te maken. emorph 09 september 2006 14:03:29 76
2 /lib/build.mak: Onbekend bestand of map Makefile emorph line 17 09 september 2006 14:03:29 75
1 C/C++ Indexer Problem: Preprocessor Inclusion not found: pspkernel.h in file: /home/pspdev/workspace/emorph/morph.c on line: 9. morph.c emorph line 9 09 september 2006 14:09:26 88
1 C/C++ Indexer Problem: Preprocessor Inclusion not found: pspdisplay.h in file: /home/pspdev/workspace/emorph/morph.c on line: 10. morph.c emorph line 10 09 september 2006 14:09:26 89
1 C/C++ Indexer Problem: Preprocessor Inclusion not found: pspdebug.h in file: /home/pspdev/workspace/emorph/morph.c on line: 11. morph.c emorph line 11 09 september 2006 14:09:26 90
1 C/C++ Indexer Problem: Preprocessor Inclusion not found: stdlib.h in file: /home/pspdev/workspace/emorph/morph.c on line: 12. morph.c emorph line 12 09 september 2006 14:09:26 91
1 C/C++ Indexer Problem: Preprocessor Inclusion not found: stdio.h in file: /home/pspdev/workspace/emorph/morph.c on line: 13. morph.c emorph line 13 09 september 2006 14:09:26 92

All help is welcome
Fanjita

Post by Fanjita »

Looks like you haven't told Eclipse where to find the include files.

Check your settings for $INCLUDE paths in the Eclipse config.
Got a v2.0-v2.80 firmware PSP? Download the eLoader here to run homebrew on it!
The PSP Homebrew Database needs you!