Firmware 1.52 Released

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Roscco

Firmware 1.52 Released

Post by Roscco »

In case anyone's interested Sony have released 1.52 Firmware update, can be found at

http://www.playstation.jp/psp/update/ud_01.html

Seems add these things;
Support playback of UMD Music and Strengthens system software security.

Only for Jap PSP jus now, but USA likely to be out by end of the day.

I found this at
http://www.psphacker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725
Prayin to God won't help, I never listen
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Another update to not install.
AeroLeviathan

Post by AeroLeviathan »

Odd. North American PSPs already have UMD music functionality, do they not? On the sampler disc that came with the PSP, it had a UMD icon under each of Music, Video and Game...
~ Aero
Famicom DS

Post by Famicom DS »

All these updates are obviously targeted to the v1.0 psp sony could care less about the rest as long as no one figures out how to get homebrew to execute succesfully on 1.5+ sony does not want you to have any psp's running the original firmware
RATiX

Post by RATiX »

Odd. North American PSPs already have UMD music functionality, do they not? On the sampler disc that came with the PSP, it had a UMD icon under each of Music, Video and Game...

I believe the same was for JP PSP's as well.

EDIT: The update allows you to play music in the XMB, similar to playing music from the MS duo.

On a side note, anyone else notice that 1.52 is SMALLER than 1.51?? They must have really made there code more concise.
Last edited by RATiX on Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
engstrom

Post by engstrom »

Now if I was at Sony I'd put a web browser in the next firmware update to really annoy people ;-)
RATiX

Post by RATiX »

It wouldn't annoy many. Those that have 1.5+ anyway would install it, and those with 1.00 would make a homebrew browser eventually. Sony just needs to allow homebrew.
0xdeadface

Post by 0xdeadface »

On a side note, anyone else notice that 1.52 is SMALLER than 1.51?? They must have really made there code more concise.
Errr...maybe they only post the changes and/or additions and not the full bios?

0xdf
Energy

Post by Energy »

0xdeadface wrote:
Errr...maybe they only post the changes and/or additions and not the full bios?

0xdf
no I think he means the 1.51 update is smaller than the 1.52, yet if you install the 1.52 surly it would include the 1.51 changes...
0xdeadface

Post by 0xdeadface »

Whoops...my bad :\

Maybe they included more in the original patch than was really needed, a rush job, and they cleaned up in the meantime.

0xdf
RATiX

Post by RATiX »

Another hypothesis: one reason the 1.52 update is smaller than the 1.51 is because there is no screen telling you what you're getting. All it says is 1.52 Update and then Start.

I haven't installed it on my PSP, so perhaps there is the "this is what's inside" screen later on, but if they ripped that whole section out, that removes the notifications of
*UMD music playback from XMB
*More security strengthening
*Security enhancement (only would be displayed if you have 1.50, not 1.51, seeing as this is in 1.51 and presumably in 1.52 as well)
*More Languages (Displayed on 1.00 PSP only, same reason as above)
*Everything else that was in 1.50 but not 1.00 (Displayed on 1.00 only... duh)

If you get what I mean, that cuts out a whole screen, and a bunch of strings. That might help explain for some of the size loss.
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

No, that screen is there after you select "Start" and you can still cancel it after that point -- also, that would hardly affect size.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Er... speculating about the reasons a filesize is different is pointless, and I'd dare go as far to say stupid unless there is a significant (10-20% or more) difference.

There is a tremendous number of things that can impact filesize, and the majority of them are inconsequential to anyone other than the people wanting to make the filesize smaller. Bitdepth of an image, optimization level of a binary, order and how tightly files are packed together in a filesystem, or any of hundreds of other things. Hell, once the idea of compression being used at some point anywhere is put in the mix extremely trivial changes to the data or even reordering data can cause a noticable impact, not to mention changing the exact compression method or ratio.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
modman

Post by modman »

Here's the URL for the 1.52 (Jap) firmware update:

http://dj01.psp.update.playstation.org/ ... /EBOOT.PBP
SCPH-50001/N
HD SCPH-20401 U
Eyetoy SLEH-00031
Network Adaptor SCPH-10281
Logitech Z680 via FIber w00t!
Sony Wega TV + USB Keyboard