Replace bootup animation

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

DrEggman

Replace bootup animation

Post by DrEggman »

We know the bootup animation on the PSP is a simple video file not unlike an animated GIF. Is it possible to replace the animation and the sound with custom versions without damaging the PSP?

Post by Guest »

It would require writing to FLASH which is fraught with danger. Search around the forums for discussion on why people shouldn't experiment just yet unless they are willing to risk sacrifice for the greater good.
DrEggman

Post by DrEggman »

what we need is an app that takes your input file, verfies it, and writes for you. This program would have to be as fool proof as possible. Also, support for background image replacement would be good.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

It seems 'background replacement' is second only to 'usb key' support in terms of useless, yet oft lamented, feature requests.
DrEggman

Post by DrEggman »

Im just saying that alot of people are requesting these features, yet few understand how dangerous it is to do these things. I think it would be best for the more advanced individuals that post in these forums should take a stab at this simple util before people start making bricks out of their systems.
Phour20

Post by Phour20 »

heck.. replace it.. Id like someone to extract it, Id love to make my mem card autoplay a flash/vid of it when i goto USB mode.. :)-

anyone know any info about it??
Darkcreator

Post by Darkcreator »

Phour20 wrote:heck.. replace it.. Id like someone to extract it, Id love to make my mem card autoplay a flash/vid of it when i goto USB mode.. :)-

anyone know any info about it??
what are you talking about
whats up ?
bovoro

Post by bovoro »

hi , Dr Eggman , you are of Dual Scene.com?
Tech^CF

Post by Tech^CF »

It should be possible (as it's done on the xbox). But there is one difference, on the xbox the modification is done to the firmware/bios on the modchip and not the original bios. So if it goes wrong you can just reflash the chip.

As there is no modchip for the psp there is a great risk of bricking your psp. At least with the little we know of the firmware/bios right now. I wouldn't dare replace the bootup anim without a lot of testing from the geniouses here at ps2dev.
PSP 1.50 JAP Value + 512MB Sandisk + Lumines, Twisted Metal, Wipeout