Help getting ps2link to mem card

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

mcmcguirl

Help getting ps2link to mem card

Post by mcmcguirl »

Here are the EXACT steps I’m taking to NOT get ps2link to work – can somebody please point me in the right direction.

1.Download the Sjeep exploit-inst.zip file from http://www.ps2newz.net/forums/showthrea ... adid=14803
(which isn’t there any more)

2.Open the zip file with WinZip and get this:
exploit\CDVD.IRX
exploit\EXPINST.ELF
exploit\README
exploit\SYSTEM.CNF
exploit\FILES\BOOT.ELF
exploit\FILES\IPCONFIG
exploit\FILES\PS2IP.IRX
exploit\FILES\ PS2LINK.IRX
exploit\FILES\PS2SMAP.IRX

3.Move contents of exploit folder to C: Drive, so now it’s just:
C:\CDVD.IRX
C:\EXPINST.ELF
C:\README
C:\SYSTEM.CNF
C:\FILES\BOOT.ELF
C:\FILES\IPCONFIG
C:\FILES\PS2IP.IRX
C:\FILES\ PS2LINK.IRX
C:\FILES\PS2SMAP.IRX

4.Obtain the ID/filename of the PS1 game that will be used – mine was SLUS_008.42

5.Use Titleman Frontend to create TITLE.DB
i.Click ‘Create TITLE.DB’
ii.Change header to ‘SLUS’ from drop down menu, add ‘008.42’ for the numerals and click ‘Add Exec’
iii.Click ‘List current contents of TITLE.DB’, mine reads:
(0001) ???
(0002) PSX.EXE
(0003) SLUS_008.42
195 entries free.

6.Move TITLE.DB to C: Drive with the rest of the contents of the exploit files

7.Edit IPCONFIG with Notepad so the information corresponds to that of YOUR (my) PS2 and save
IPCONFIG.DAT uses the following format:
PS2IPADDRESS NETMASK GATEWAYIP

8.Open CDGenPS2, drag and drop the files in this order:
1. SYSTEM.CNF
2. EXPINST.ELF
3. CDVD.IRX
4. TITLE.DB
5. FILES

9.Click to save the image as an ISO file

10.Open CDRWIN and select ‘File Backup and Tools’

11.Choose ‘Record an ISO9660 / UDF image file’ from the drop down menu

12.Type the ‘Image File’ name: ps2link, and click ‘START’

13.Under ‘Recording Options’ change ‘Disc Type’ to CDROM-XA and ‘Track Mode’ to MODE2, with ‘Write Postgap’ and ‘Finalize/Close Session’ checked

14.Click ‘Record Disc’

15.With a memory card in slot 1, use SwapMagic (mine is 3.2) to boot the newly burned CD on the ps2...

The screen turns red and just sits there... and I've even hoped that's all that had to happen for the files to load but when I go and insert the game it starts right up.

Please help me!

P.S. I’ve also tried using CDGenPS2 and saving the image as a BIN file and using Alcohol as described at http://home.rochester.rr.com/ps2ownz/burning.html for use with the memory card exploit but it won’t work because it always reads:
“Session 01:
Track 01: Mode 2, Length: 000130(260 KB), Address: 000000”
And it needs to be ‘Mode 2 Form 1’ (anyone know that side problem?)

I know this was A LOT – but I’m hoping thorough is helpful in diagnosing the problem and not just a deterrent to people who don’t like to read.

Post by Guest »

mcmcguirl,

Since you have posted here a few times, you seem to have interest
in what this site has to offer. People here are very sensitive about
anything that blatantly indicates warez. The CDgenps2 program you
mentioned is definitely not welcome here I think.

Sorry I don't know how to help you on the information you are asking
for, but for future posts, you will find helpful people if your questions
don't touch on inappropriate topics.

Gorim
pixel

Post by pixel »

Well, we can't blame him to follow warez tutorials because non-warez tutorials are simply non existant over there...

I mean, even if some people don't have much problems creating their own ISO files which boot straignt on the PS2, it seems there are some issues that produce non-bootables CDs. And since users who experience such problems have no "ps2dev" tutorials, they go on with "warez" tutorials.

So, we can't blame him for "You want to use it for warez". And since he didn't say that he's replacing PS2LINK's elf with CogThingWhatEverWasTheName, I'm really thinking he wants to use that installer for a "Ps2link purpose".

Now, mcmcguirl, whatever method you're using to generate an iso file, I wonder if you do it "right". Did you even try to read the CD back into your computers ? Are the files visible okay ? Is the CD even readable ? Just to be sure, use some tools like "Daemon Tool" to mount your iso file. If the files are okay in the virtual drive, you can try to simply copy the virtual drive using whatever CD copy software you own.

And the other issue I experienced myself on self-made PSX boots (not PS2) was "file placement". AFAIK, that (in)famous CDGenPS2 is able to forcibily place some files at fixed LBAs, as I were able to see on that picture. Try to fix the LBA of your files accordingly...

On a final word, I REALLY have to admit I'm definitively not used to PS2 image creations. I did self-made PSX CDs, and experienced some problems that I fixed myself using self-made code, but for PS2, I'm mostly using a modchip that can boots off the memory card, and back then, I used an old naplink ISO file to upload newer code to the memory card.

Maybe we should do some tests/tutorials about the process of the homemade PS2 cds...
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
mcmcguirl

Post by mcmcguirl »

Man, I guess I need to be more careful!
It's true - no warez-talk was intended. It was just the only place I could find any helpful info on getting ps2link to my memory card, thanks ooPo and pixel for understanding that.

And I think Pixel may have solved my problem - I forgot about moving the SYSTEM.CNF (and I believe it's to 12231 - not 2331 as in Pixel's linked pic). I'm at work now so I won't be able to try it for 5 more hours though. But if that doesn't work I'll try "mounting" my iso file. :P (as Pixel recommended)

On a different note -
I'd have to say with the advancements you people are making in homebrew programming (not to mention with ps2newz closed) there will eventually be many idiots like myself coming here for help getting them to run on their systems as programs become more and more useful to the everyday gamers. I'd propose a more lengthy tutorial section to minimize the number of simple questions (like mine).