Does the UMD drive read CD/DVD?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

laichung

Does the UMD drive read CD/DVD?

Post by laichung »

I dont know this question is suitable for this forum or not. Because this is a hardware issue.

Since UMD using ISO format to store data , but UMD wavelength is different from CD/DVD media.

Do you think we can tune the lens of UMD drive and make it able to read CD/DVD media?
wulf

Post by wulf »

first, take a look at the size of a umd.. it's even smaller than one of those mini cd's...
even if you could, there would be less space on it than on your mem card.

second, the hole on a cd is much smaller than the one required for a umd, so a dremel would be required even if it would work

third. scarily enough, some crazy guy actually tried this, and it didn't work..

in short, no, not a chance...

[/i]

Post by Guest »

Supposedly, the first dumps of PSP UMD's were made by some group customizing optical hardware to read UMD's. I could be wrong. But in any event, it is not possible to do for anyone without expensive equipment and lots of time.

On the other hand, neither is it necessary.
almazlamaz

Post by almazlamaz »

no no,
there is a software for dumping UMD or firmware onto memory stick

Post by Guest »

almazlamaz wrote:no no,
We know that, but that has nothing to do with his question.
EdZ

Post by EdZ »

gorim wrote:
almazlamaz wrote:no no,
We know that, but that has nothing to do with his question.
Yes it does: It means that so far NO-ONE has been able to read UMDs other than using a PSP directly.

Post by Guest »

EdZ wrote:Yes it does: It means that so far NO-ONE has been able to read UMDs other than using a PSP directly.
No it doesn't. Read the original posting very carefully, and with respect to your last comment, read my first posting in this thread. In fact, please just read.
jmf

Post by jmf »

when I first saw the PSP on my hands, I tought:
"this looks like an MiniDisk...."
So... (I am suposing.... really..) If we had the possibility to write the iso (If it is smaller than 700mb) on the minidisk, and then take out the disk and put it in a UMD box... would it be readable?
FrostAie

Post by FrostAie »

jmf wrote:when I first saw the PSP on my hands, I tought:
"this looks like an MiniDisk...."
So... (I am suposing.... really..) If we had the possibility to write the iso (If it is smaller than 700mb) on the minidisk, and then take out the disk and put it in a UMD box... would it be readable?
lol actually i did the same i cracked open a mini disc and they r the same but is the laser wavelink the same?
Lex

Post by Lex »

Could it be that MiniDisc and UMD-Audio are the same, or that it's at least possible to playback a minidisc inside the PSP, did you try this when you already open one ? (There's a new HD-MiniDisc-Format, probably the same ?)

Post by Guest »

No, none of that is possible. UMD and MD are completely incompatible. Please search the forums for more extended discussion.
EdZ

Post by EdZ »

gorim wrote:
EdZ wrote:Yes it does: It means that so far NO-ONE has been able to read UMDs other than using a PSP directly.
No it doesn't. Read the original posting very carefully, and with respect to your last comment, read my first posting in this thread. In fact, please just read.
But it DID relate to Gorim's comment, that implied that UMD could be read with external hardware, thus implying some degree of campatability between UMDs and CD reading hardware, and vice versa.

Besides, the whole topic is moot. The subject of UMDs and their external reading, and substitute UMDs, has been done and re-done several times, with the only conclusion being drawn being: Making your own UMD would be nigh impossible, even with extremely espensive fabricating machinery, and that you cannot mod a CD into a UMD.

Q.E.D.

Post by Guest »

EdZ wrote:But it DID relate to Gorim's comment, that implied that UMD could be read with external hardware, thus implying some degree of campatability between UMDs and CD reading hardware, and vice versa.
I implied no compatibility. Only that someone supposedly made a custom rig to do it, likely at much expense. Dunno how true it was *shrug*
silverbyte

Post by silverbyte »

NO, NO and NO.

Many people ask these questions, and think just by making a MD smaller to fit the UMD that voila it'll work... but thats not the case.
the laser wavelenght used for the UMD are completly diffrent laser wavelenght used for DVD. which means that it will be nearly impossible to read diffrent medias.

ex:

UMD Laser wavelength: 660nm
UMD Recording Bit Lenght: ???

DVD Laser Wavelength: 635-650 nm
DVD Recording Bit Lenght: 0.41-0.43 µm

CD laser Wavelength: 780 nm
CD Recording Bit Lenght: ???

MD laser Wavelength: 780nm
MD Recording Bit Lenght: 0.59μm
Hi-MD Recording Bit Lenght: 0.44μm

even if you get a miniDisk cut pefectly to fit in the UMD drive, the laser wavelenght is COMPLETLY OFF, which will make it impossible for the drive to read eachother.

Just think about this.... CAN A DVD READ A CD, or can a CD READ A DVD. why can't you pop your DVD into your car CD player? (and forget about the about the CD/DVD drives you get with PC's today, those have varible wavelenghts, and Recording Bit Lenght OR they jsut use a completly diffrent laser and chipset )

IN ANYCASE im not an expert in OPTICAL technology. But i do know that the technology from a UMD differes from other OPTICAL devices (DVD,CD,MD,ETC).
jmf

Post by jmf »

okay, by that order of ideias, a UMD Reader *should* read MDisks beacuse a DVD can read CD's (a samaller wavelenght can read a bigger one) or this is only possible in cd's and dvd's?
EdZ

Post by EdZ »

jmf wrote:okay, by that order of ideias, a UMD Reader *should* read MDisks beacuse a DVD can read CD's (a samaller wavelenght can read a bigger one) or this is only possible in cd's and dvd's?
DVD drives that can read CDs use a specially modulated laser, or a different laser entirely. Unless the UMD drive was built specially to read MiniDiscs, then it won't be able to.

Let alone that MiniDiscs are Magneto-optical, unlike CDs, DVDs and UMDs.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

They only possible way to get the PSP to read CDs and DVDs would be to:

-Modify the PSP to read UMD/CD/DVDs and incorporate the probably needed firmware additions to process CDs and DVDs.

-USB CD/DVD-ROM to use in the PSP. But with that, there would also require a host chip built into the CD/DVD-ROM since the PSP cannot operate in host mode and probably more firmware additions.

All in all, its would be a very time consuming and money consuming process. And would it even be worth it? Who the hell wants to lug around a CD/DVD-ROM? And to create CD/DVDs small enough to fit into the PSP would then limit their space capacities to the point where they would become pointless to use anyhow.
cyod

Post by cyod »

How does the PSP keyboard work if it cannot work as a host device?

Someone really needs to get a keyboard and rig up some monitoring device to determine how its working exactly before you can make such claims about the psp being unable to act as a host.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Here are some conversations on that very topic:

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=13158#13158
But the usb port on the psp is configured as a slave, for use when connected to pc, ps2/3, etc. Not sure that there's any provision in the usb spec for a slave device to provide any power, I'd say its some extension to the protocol, much the same way that the psp kb is said to be configured as a host, to enable it to speak to the psp, with some clever trickery to get it to act to the contrary.
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=10964#10964
And is USBOTG a HW spec, or a driver modification to normal USB?
I've herad from a sony guy* that the usb on the psp is a client device and they do things like the official keyboard by actually making it a server class device. So i presume they use their own protocol after connection. At least a reversed version of HID.
Please search and try to get up to speed before you wave your arms around.