PSPlinux

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

rz950

PSPlinux

Post by rz950 »

I'm getting close to compiling the kernel using the psptoolchain for cygwin. Just compiling the kernel for mips support should work fine because wifi,
usb, and so on can be worked as a module later once the kernel loads.

I was wondering if the psp has any difference between a regular mips cpu and the one it has.

If anyone would like to help, go to the irc channel #linuxpsp in efnet.
rz950

Post by rz950 »

I'm currently building the kernel using the psptoolchain and it seems to be building fine. I will be doing changes to the kernel to be more compatiable with the psp. One main thing is mmu support which I'm currently working on.
srMatanza

Post by srMatanza »

I think this sounds like an awesome project, count me in! I don't actually have a PSP yet (I ordered one off eBay, and it should be here in a few days. Hopefully it will not have either versions 1.51 or 1.52 firmware). I have compiled the toolchain and pspsdk, and have gotten both ready to go.

I will also work on getting the kernel compiled with the toolchain.
bootdsc

Post by bootdsc »

well if you would like to shair what you have so far i would like to help....i have the tool chain working and know a bit about linux.
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

But we don't really know how to boot anything outside the OS yet...
MindWall

Post by MindWall »

probably the kbooti.bin and rinit.prx ...

(part of the kernel modules found in Ridge Racer, and "I guess" part of the 8MB unaccessible memory block of the flash)

...can be of some assistance for cold booting.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Off-topic, moved.
bootdsc

Post by bootdsc »

i think we need to hack the firm ware itself, when i get home today i will take a look at the firm ware and see if i can make sence of any thing....now flashing the firm ware with linux would be fine if all you want is a portable comp but i think we still need to be able to play games so maybe some sort of live linux would be a better way to go. once again if you have found anything please shair you findings as to help keep things moving.