Jpg ordering problem?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

MrBig

Jpg ordering problem?

Post by MrBig »

Hi, this is probably a really stupid question, but i am trying to put jpg manga onto my PSP and when I do, they show in a completely random order... I cant figure out why or how to change it
eg:

v1_ep1_p008
v1_ep1_p009
v1_ep1_p006
v1_ep1_p007
v1_ep1_p020
v1_ep1_p010
etc

And I have converted them to the native psp resolution and tried with those, and I get a different order...
Ill try just batch renaming then to numbers in order, but does anyone have any idea why it would have been doing this?
thank you
Giancarlo
mauibay

Post by mauibay »

The PSP sorts file based on time/date stamps, not name.
beatwho

Post by beatwho »

download TOUCH.EXE (the equivilent of the unix touch) and just run TOUCH G:\PSP\PHOTO\*.* or whatever
it will set all the timestamps to that of alphabetical order...
AlexGreen

Post by AlexGreen »

Right on, beatwho!
What does this button do?
Juudas

Post by Juudas »

filenaming using 8 characters or less also seem to order it alphanumerically ....not really sure whats going on with that.
mauibay

Post by mauibay »

I'm still stumped as to how to get files in the right date order by just copying them. I've touched my files to make sure they are ordered correctly. When I sort by creation date they are in order. When I sort by modification date they are in order. I copy them and check the order on the USB drive from Windows, they are still sorted in order by date. But when I look at them from the PSP's Photo directory, they are not in order, they are in out-of-order chunks. For example, my latest one has the tenth image first and the first image 37th.

I just haven't been able to get any directory with hundreds of images to show up in order, even by date, unless I copy the images one by one or artificially manipulate the dates.

Here is a bash shell script I did that works fine by artificially incrementing the timestamps by 1 second per file: (Note this isn't waiting 1 sec between files, it's falsely setting the stamp.)

n=0
for i in `ls`
do
let "n = n + 1"
touch -d ${n}sec $i
done

If I run this in the directory on the PSP after copying the files, it ensures that all the stamps are 1 second apart in alpha sorted order.

By the way, to create ebooks I'm using OpenOffice to create a PDF with appropriately sized pages (which happen to be about 6"x3.75" on my setup) and then convert to jpegs with ghostscript like this:

convert -depth 1 -quality 60 -page 480x272 ../book.pdf book%03d.jpg

This creates an ordered series of jpegs, one per PDF page sized exactly for the PSP display. Use %04d if you have more than 999 pages. I don't have books that long and only need 1 or 2 leading zeros in the number to ensure alpha ordering works.

I'm using Linux, by the way, I don't know the particulars of using ghostscript on Windows.
MrBig

Post by MrBig »

ok, thanks for the info, its strange tho because i am pretty sure that the creation and modification date of the files were in order from when i converted them to the psp resolution...

well i will just batch rename them to shorter names for now, easiest thing

thanks again

Giancarlo
harlekin

Post by harlekin »

After i read this thread i searched the web for a programm that would let me "redate" the files the same way mauibay did, but using windows. After several letdowns with freeware programs that proved unusable, i found just the right one for me. :)

Essentially it is a little plugin for the best filemanager out there, Total Commander. You can find it here , it works flawlessly, just check hours and minutes, set the "Increment by" option on hours to 0 and the one on minutes to either 1 or -1 and press Start.
About a second later the job should be done. :)

Open the readme file in the package to get information on how to install the plugin (Launch Total Commander, select the "Start" menue from the bar at the top and select "change Start Menue", then "Add Item". Choose a name and follow the instructions from the readme).