ps2 to pc!

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

sohaibma

ps2 to pc!

Post by sohaibma »

hi
1) i heard from some people that xbox can be modified into a pc.
can the same thing be done to ps2. can i turn it into a pc. how?

2) can i use the ps2 dvd rom for both playing games on ps2 and playing dvds on my pc. how?
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

1) No. No. It can't be done.

2) No. It can't be done.
pixel

Post by pixel »

And for the upcoming "Why?": the hardware here is sooooo far away from the PC world that such hardware exchanges are really out of question.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
mharris

Re: ps2 to pc!

Post by mharris »

sohaibma wrote:1) i heard from some people that xbox can be modified into a pc.
can the same thing be done to ps2. can i turn it into a pc. how?
I'm afraid the closest you'll get is the ps2 linux kit.

As pixel mentioned, the PS2 hardware is radically different from a conventional desktop computer -- far more than just the MIPS vs. Intel processer, but the whole architecture. The XBox, on the other hand is a PC, with some tweaks.
geekcorerob

Post by geekcorerob »

geeting the linux kit is as far as you can go when it comes to turning a ps2 to a pc
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Actually, you CAN turn a PS2 into a PC, just not in the manner you think.

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/playstation2pc/

8) :lol:

Post by Guest »

J.F. wrote:Actually, you CAN turn a PS2 into a PC, just not in the manner you think.

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/playstation2pc/

8) :lol:
On that note, if the PS2 mainboard was small enough, I could maybe
finagle it into my old PowerMac G4 CUBE chassis and have a GSCUBE!
As it is, the 3900x mainboard is exactly the same lengthwise height
as a G4Cube (I know, I got a bare one sitting right next to a G4 cube,
and no, I didn't already try to cram it in there ;)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

You'd have better luck AFAIK with an older (original) Japanese model, as the mainboards for these are very small.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I'm in the process of putting my old PS2 guts into an Amiga A1200 case. The Amiga was known for being a multimedia computer that ran games. I can't think of a more fitting replacement than the Playstation 2. I'll post some pictures when it's done if anyone's interested.
mharris

Post by mharris »

J.F. wrote:I'm in the process of putting my old PS2 guts into an Amiga A1200 case. The Amiga was known for being a multimedia computer that ran games. I can't think of a more fitting replacement than the Playstation 2. I'll post some pictures when it's done if anyone's interested.
Heh, I sometimes use my old Amiga 1000 monitor for the ps2 (to free up the TV for the kids) -- the monitor has a composite video input and a speaker, so it's perfect. Still crisp after all these years, but it hadn't been turned on in about 12 years when I pulled it down from the attic.

(It's actually just called "the Amiga" -- they added the "1000" when the A2000 and A500 were introduced sometime in the late 80s)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

mharris wrote:Heh, I sometimes use my old Amiga 1000 monitor for the ps2 (to free up the TV for the kids) -- the monitor has a composite video input and a speaker, so it's perfect. Still crisp after all these years, but it hadn't been turned on in about 12 years when I pulled it down from the attic.

(It's actually just called "the Amiga" -- they added the "1000" when the A2000 and A500 were introduced sometime in the late 80s)
I have an A1000 in the garage. I use my A1200 the most of my old Amigas because it has a Blizzard PPC accelerator in it.

I have my 1084S monitor hooked up to my Genesis with an RGB cable. Unknown to many folks, the Genesis had RGB output. I got a cable from Redmond Cable that gives me 1084 connector and stereo audio out. It's an awesome way to play those old Genesis/SEGA CD/32X games.