Gaim on PSP?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Dj Brimstone

Gaim on PSP?

Post by Dj Brimstone »

Hello, I was thinking about how the DS has pictochat, and the PSP has nothing like that, when I remembered the Ad Hoc feature. I was thinking, would any one be interested in working on a messenger program that uses the Ad Hoc mode on PSP? I was thinking GAIM, since it's open-source, and has multi client support. Tell me what you think.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gaim ... m?download
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

We may be able to use *some* of the gaim client, but lots of the graphics are done in GTK, so that has to be ported first before we have that interface.

The AIM protocol is *fairly* simple to get something up.

I know that this is at least one person working on it though: http://pspaim.com/
Lego of my Ago!
Dj Brimstone

Post by Dj Brimstone »

Yeah, I looked at that, but it appears to use a version of it on the net, correct? I'm talking about an application on your psp that chats using the Ad Hoc feature. I'm not sure on the range of Ad Hoc, but I read somewhere it's like 20 feet, but that's for 3D multiplayer games, a messenger client would require much less, so perhaps the range would be further?
Tim

Post by Tim »

If you're thinking peer-to-peer chat... gaim is not a viable option for porting. Writing a peer-to-peer chat program wouldn't be that hard once someone figures out the adhoc networking stuff... but it would probably be pretty pointless. Pictochat has the novelty of a touchpad. Using PSP to talk to someone 20 feet away with psp controls doesnt seem very useful... if we could use usb keyboards... it might be sort of interesting, while still pointless :-)
Dj Brimstone

Post by Dj Brimstone »

You are correct, it's not a very long range type thing, and perhaps GAIM isn't the correct program for it. But, anyway, I can think of a few times I'd like to have a peer to peer chat program, like during a class. But, in any case, this isn't necessary, more of a novelty, I was just wondering whether or not some one would be interested in it.
greenlase

Post by greenlase »

Well.. when adhoc is working, file sharing would be nice. a messaging system might be a good place to start, before moving to more complicated things like file sharing and multiplayer games.
yes... new account... but I've been here the whole time.
Dj Brimstone

Post by Dj Brimstone »

Yeah, messaging would be a good start, at least. So far, I haven't noticed many homebrew apps that use Ad Hoc...
madc

Post by madc »

* Gaim is based on GTK.
* NanoGTK is avaliable now. http://www.emsoftltd.com/products/listi ... ontent.htm
* And Nano-X for PSP will be stable soon.

Then... :D
madc

Post by madc »

Although a work in progress, NXLIB also is making progress running unmodified QT and GTK+ programs.
jday

Post by jday »

I don't think the gaim ui being ported is feasible, but, if I recall correctly, the core of gaim has been separated from the gui into gaimlib, which might be useful as abackend for an app with a native PSP interface. And does anyone know if it might be possible to do ad-hoc chatting if a psp was running a jabber server or some such thing?
Tim

Post by Tim »

I'm sure it'd be possible, but I dont think it'd be the easiest method... unless the jabber stuff would be really easily ported.