Pixie E-book reader for PSP (Alpha)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

sasq

Pixie E-book reader for PSP (Alpha)

Post by sasq »

This was earlier a GBA/DS project, but it's now also ported to PSP.

http://www.nightmode.org/pixie/

Reads TXT, simple PDB and BOOK (which is converted from HTML with included converter.

This is the first released version so there are bugs. Feel free to comment in this thread on how it works.
emumaniac

Post by emumaniac »

Nice release, cant wait to try some of my fave ebooks on it, news posted here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/index.shtml ... yEEIvdnjPW and on pspwiki
Pit0711

Post by Pit0711 »

i cant convert.
always get error: msvcr80.dll is missing
emumaniac

Post by emumaniac »

i see pspupdates arent crediting you with a link, for a big site thats disrespectful.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

emumaniac wrote:i see pspupdates arent crediting you with a link, for a big site thats disrespectful.
Cool it.
Clay

Post by Clay »

emumaniac wrote:i see pspupdates arent crediting you with a link, for a big site thats disrespectful.
There was no link because the file was submitted to me via email with no link. Now that I have read this and seen the link, it has been added to my news article.

PSPUpdates links to every developer when we know their website. Occasionally, with 40 site articles a day between all our sites, a link will be forgotten. But PSPUpdates never intentionally leaves a link out. Try running 5 console sites 24/7 and see if you do it flawlessly. Sorry for the heated last sentance but this kind of talk is starting to push my buttons.

EDIT: Great work on the release Sasq, we hope to see more from you!
sasq

Post by sasq »

Pit0711 wrote:i cant convert.
always get error: msvcr80.dll is missing
Yeah, I compiled it with VC2005 beta with DLL linking which was maybe not too smart. I included the source though so it should be easy to recompile - otherwise just wait a day or two - or try and find the DLL.
Smiths

Post by Smiths »

Clay wrote:
There was no link because the file was submitted to me via email with no link. Now that I have read this and seen the link, it has been added to my news article.

PSPUpdates links to every developer when we know their website. Occasionally, with 40 site articles a day between all our sites, a link will be forgotten. But PSPUpdates never intentionally leaves a link out. Try running 5 console sites 24/7 and see if you do it flawlessly. Sorry for the heated last sentance but this kind of talk is starting to push my buttons.

EDIT: Great work on the release Sasq, we hope to see more from you!
It's called verifying first then, just to comment. dcemu.co.uk is 15 sites and there's a pause between submitted news and verification.
"file was submitted to me via email with no link"
Yeah, that makes me happy when the first malicious program is release.. now we know how to spread it to the masses...

But sasq, great work, nice to see ya entering the PSP scene.
joesparano

Post by joesparano »

Pixie is my new favorite app! Thanks Sasq.

Possible bugs:
1. some txt files cause an error:
- "**ASSERT: 'book->Ok()' failed in src/main.cpp(171)"
2. hiding the corrupt folder with Sie Tool causes book list to display mysterious titles (that aren't even on my PSP):
- "Cryptonomicon.book"
- "451.book"
- "PHPManual.pdb"
3. When using portrait mode, long titles overlap page numbering

It would be nice to:
1. have a frontend to switch books or change options
2. have the ability to re-map buttons
- (as a start, I'd love for R to page backwards)
3. allow for native html/rtf reading (without conversion)
4. create several bookmarks for one document
5. choose a different "Books" directory (default or on-the-fly)

Thanks again. This is exactly what I've been hoping for!
sasq

Post by sasq »

There's a new version (beta 1) that fixes some problems.

- Text files with characters outside font can crash the reader, but that assert means it coudlnt even open the file which is strange.

- The book folder was hard coded, and when it couldn't find the dir, some test code I had forgotten was run that just showed some dummy books.

- You can now switch books.

- No remapping yet, but ill add it to my TODO.

- Native reading of other formats: Maybe in the future, but it's a lot of work.

- Multiple bookmarks: I'll add it to my TODO - not something I felt the need for myself though.

- Book dir can now be changed in reader.cfg

Lots of other new stuff as well;

www.nightmode.org/pixie/
joesparano

Post by joesparano »

A few small issues with Pixie beta 1:
1. If I change the Books directory to another location on the MS, Pixie will crash without a Books directory in the PIXIE folder. Not a big deal, but you know.
2. I'd really, really like the R Trigger to page backwards.
3. Is there any way to remove the "Corrupt Data" folder from the PSP menu? All of the conventional methods render Pixie unusable. (I'm using 1.5)

Notes:
4. Mutiple bookmarks aren't really that important - just something that came to mind.
5. The new features are great. Keep 'em comin!
6. Pixie has made my weekend. Thanks!
Last edited by joesparano on Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sasq

Post by sasq »

If you place it in another folder you must change both the FONT and BOOK directory in the config-file. That should work allthough I havent tried it myself.

Also remember to remove the old reader.cfg so it can be updated with the new options.
joesparano

Post by joesparano »

I like to keep book files in a neutral location (with my emulator roms) to simplify application upgrades. It doesn't make as much sense to move the Fonts folder to that same location.

I've found that it's OK to relocate the Books folder without relocating the Fonts folder. Pixie can be fooled by placing an empty Books folder in the original location, even if the working Books folder is somewhere else entirely. Not all that clean, but certainly functional.
ghandi1987

assert

Post by ghandi1987 »

i got the assert thing everytime i tried to use one of my own txt files. you can make it stop giving you the assert by just capitalizing the first letter of the filename. although it does freeze once it loads some of my files.

edit: i figured out that it was freezing b/c the person used some ascii art in the file, once i deleted the ascii art it loaded fine.
almazlamaz

Post by almazlamaz »

good job ! :)
sasq

Post by sasq »

Have mostly been working on the tools and porting now - the conversion tools for windows and a GBA version are now available.

(Fonts are converted from normal TTF fonts).

Will try and get the TXT-reader more stable, key remapping, better suspend/resume and then release a new psp-version.
ghandi1987

ttf2pfont

Post by ghandi1987 »

the ttf2pfont program works great, keep up the good work.
sasq

Post by sasq »

A new beta (PSP version, Windows tools) can be downloaded from:

http://82.182.81.80/pixie/files/Pixie_psp_beta2.zip

This version has better font support (like runtime settings of fonts and sizes) and keys can be completely configured.
Also includes TXT2HTML for converting text-files (especially Project Gutenberg books - http:/www.gutenberg.org).

Also notice that you need to run MAKEFONTS.BAT and MAKEBOOKS.BAT to convert fonts and books - take a look at them to see how you can convert your own.
sasq

Post by sasq »

Both PSP and GBA-versions up at:

http://82.182.81.80/pixie/

(Hope my domain comes back soon! :)
joesparano

Post by joesparano »

Impressions of beta 2b:
1. All of the new options and tools are really great.
2. I think L/R trigger page-turning is essential - especially for reading in portrait mode. Perhaps all the Trigger+ options in the current build could be devoted to a menu screen in the future?
3. It would be nice to select a default font for plain text files. Right now, Pixie automatically uses the fixed-width selection for these? Maybe an additional option of Plain Text = "Fixed" or "Normal".
4. Behavior of increase/decrease font size is strange. Sometimes the switch happens after two button presses, sometimes more - but never on the first.
sasq

Post by sasq »

> 2.

Well you could just change the config, "LTRIGGER" and "RTRIGGER" are still valid keys, but if you use one you cant use it as a modifier.

> 3.

It always uses Normal and not fixed IIRC, but yes, I can add a config option for that.

> 4.

Font size is increased one unit at a time, so it all depends on what fonts you have in the fonts dir. If you generate one font for each size it will change with each keypress...
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Brilliant!

Just one comment:

- changing font size / line spacing

If you change the font size or line spacing, you are reset to page one. It would be nice if you'd stay at the first word of the page you are at. Especially since the font is different for some of the books, even in the examples, on the first few pages, you can't see the effect of your adjustments directly.

Perhaps you can use the already present bookmark function for this? Set a bookmark to the first word, and then move to that bookmark again after resizing/changing font size.
sasq

Post by sasq »

I could add this as an option, but it would mean freezing the program until the indexer has reached the place you are at, which might take a minute if you are at the end of a long book.
LastCaress

Post by LastCaress »

Great tools! Could you please fix/add the following:

-Support for large number of files. (I have a huge amount of small files, that include short stories, jokes, etc...) - When I put a large amount of files in a directory, the program just freezes (I'm using the gba port)

-Support for serveral directories at once (I have the different files catagorized according to subject)

Thanks!
milksop

Post by milksop »

Nice!

Rotated viewing is some snazzy stuff! Love it.

Looking forward to a version that saves settings when I change them in the app.

scott
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

sasq wrote:I could add this as an option, but it would mean freezing the program until the indexer has reached the place you are at, which might take a minute if you are at the end of a long book.
Shouldn't be too much of a problem, as you're generally already comfortable with what you selected by that time. It's usually near the beginning of a book that you'll be experimenting with an optimal display.

Alternatively, to speed things up, you could use a snapshot of the current position in the book, say the 1000 characters from the first character of the page, to show the effect of your changes, and only reindex after you've confirmed the new settings.
Amakusa42

Mine keeps saying corrupted data

Post by Amakusa42 »

This happened when I transfered the files over to my psp. Once I tried to boot it up in the Game directory, it said Corrupted data. I have version 1.50. Also, i am missing some of the fonts when I run the font convertor. Can these two be related? Do you need a windows service pack to run this?

BTW, great idea for a program, I cant wait to try it out.
Fools rush in where wise men run the hell away.
Arwin

Re: Mine keeps saying corrupted data

Post by Arwin »

Amakusa42 wrote:This happened when I transfered the files over to my psp. Once I tried to boot it up in the Game directory, it said Corrupted data. I have version 1.50. Also, i am missing some of the fonts when I run the font convertor. Can these two be related? Do you need a windows service pack to run this?

BTW, great idea for a program, I cant wait to try it out.
You should have one corrupted data, and one which says Pixie with a nice logo. You don't need all the fonts, I didn't have all of them either. Finally, like I posted above, you need to copy the layout.txt file to the root of your PSP. That means that if you hook it up to the PC, and it becomes visible as, say, a D: drive, you need to copy the file to D:\layout.txt, and NOT to, say, D:\PSP\Game\Pixie\layout.txt.

Finally, make sure that when you disconnect your PSP, you first stop the device properly through the USB Device option (click on Tray Icon, select 'Stop this Device ... etc.' If it says "You can now safely remove ... " you can leave the USB menu on your PSP and test out Pixie.
Amakusa42

Thank you!

Post by Amakusa42 »

Works! Thank you. I cant find the layout file though in the zip file. IS it a seperate download?
Fools rush in where wise men run the hell away.