UMCDR Ripped off...look here now

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Teclis

UMCDR Ripped off...look here now

Post by Teclis »

Take a look at this link: http://proxify.com/p/011110A0000110/htt ... f=alert364

thoughts, anyone?
Booyah.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

what does this have to do with software development ?
Kung VU
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Moved to Off-Topic...
wyrm

Post by wyrm »

I think as someone else posted somewhere else, the audio "trick" reading had been around for a while, what makes you think it has been ripped off? (not being arsey, just curious)
EugeneE3RD

Post by EugeneE3RD »

wyrm wrote:I think as someone else posted somewhere else, the audio "trick" reading had been around for a while, what makes you think it has been ripped off? (not being arsey, just curious)
Teclis probably thought that Datel ripped off UMCDR since UMCDR also used the audio trick to load homebrew software. When i first read about this new Action Replay Max, I originally thought that Datel ripped off UMCDR but now I see that this is not the case.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

BTW, some interesting facts.

1) The PGEN that datel is using does indeed have Drakonite's UMCDR library in it. A simple compare with ps2menu will reveal this. GO look in autoexec.elf yourself.

Now, naturally, it follows that

2) Datel is using a UMCDR variant that is compatible with said library when writing max media creator CDs! If you look at LBA 464, you will find the following message.

Code: Select all

CD Disc for PlayStation 2. Made using 'PS2 CD' library by Gavin 
M Thornton. Contains Data with full ECC
SO far, so good. Gavin Thorton is indeed a programmer at Datel, who's been with them a while. BUT now look at LBA 472, offset +78 hex...

what's this?

814.28 DRAK'S MAGIC CDDA 814.28 DRAK'S MAGIC CDDA

Drak was supposed to make an ECC version of UMCDR. And now here we have Max Media creator, appearing to do just that! Something seems fishy here!

Drakonite is quite aware of this, btw.

There are many possible exlanations for this, so I'm just standing by the facts, which are

1) datels pgen has draks library

and

2) CDs burned with Max media Creator contain drak's magic signature.

I think Teclis may not be as wrong as you think...
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

What was the point of bumping this crap thread? I tell you, everyday it's more and more like High School around here...

Locked.